Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
As of January 1st, CX will be performing through-check-in again. I wonder if this is an alliance-wide decision or just something CX has been willing to do?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:15 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OMG!Really?
One has to wonder what made them change their mind. Nah, scr-w it, doesn't matter why! CX I love you. (Don't want to repeat my CAN-HKG bag rant, but this really helps bringing bags from CAN back home)

IMHO, can't really see Finnair changing their mind unless it is a OW joint decision (read BA decision). Spoke to Finnair, say 2 weeks ago, and they were clueless they even have a no-through-check-in policy. So I can't see how anyone in AY is even aware of the effect it has on travel, even less why they should change it.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
From http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_C...e-tickets.html
Through-check to final destination

Last updated: 20 Dec 2016
Effective 1 January 2017, as a courtesy, Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon will through-check you and your bags to your final destination if you are travelling on separate tickets involving connections with our airline partners. However, through-check may not be possible if your travel begins with an airline that does not provide separate ticket through-check service.
I read this to be a CX service, not a OW one. So you can't get BP and bags checked in for HEL-(AY)HKG-(KA)CAN, but at least you can for CAN(KA)-HKG(AY)-HEL.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
Originally Posted by lkrt
As of January 1st, CX will be performing through-check-in again. I wonder if this is an alliance-wide decision or just something CX has been willing to do?
Well done, CX ^! I hope that AY will soon follow its example.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As for AY's check-through policy, a while ago we flew HEL-BKK-KUL AY+MH. Missus on one ticket, AY leg upgraded, myself on separate tix, AY flights in paid C.

The agent automatically put both our checked bags on her name all the way to KUL, though she started the c/i process with me and I'm the Plat pax Could this be an acknowledgment of their policy?

Immagine our joy at the gate in BKK where the MH staff kept repeating that she is entitled to only one luggage (we were in Y BKK-KUL) :O After several agents discussing and making phone calls, they came up with the solution of moving one bag to my name.

Same trip - coming out the plane in BKK, my name's on the board for VIP immigration card, hers is not. For all AY knew, I was terminating in BKK, she continued to KUL, so no immigration for her, thus no VIP card. Understandable, but still weird.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Qatar Airways Updates Their Checked Baggage Policy For The Better

Here's to hope that AY will follow...
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:37 pm
R2

Just back from a trip HEL-HKG-MNL. HEL-HKG on AY and HKG-MNL on PR, separate tickets.

As expected, on the outbound the AY check-in agent tells me 'we won't check your luggage through, you need to collect it at HKG'.

At MNL check-in the seemingly inexperienced employee needs to check on her computer if this is possible. 'Yes, AY is one of our interlining partners so no problem' and indeed it worked out and saved me from doing the immigration run at HKG.

It's sad how AY chooses not to provide good service when it obviously is technically completely possible.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Yes, it is insane and will only hurt AY in the end. AY does not offer these destination on one ticket, so with a policy they think are penalising a traveller purchasing from other airlines, they instead just make it impossible to buy AY in the first place.

I urge anyone experience this to raise the issue with Finnair directly.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:20 am
R2

I sent AY feedback on this experience asking them why they choose not to provide good service in this respect. The reply I got is somewhere between amusing and depressing (comments in brackets mine):

AY check-in staff at HEL acted right and according to the rules. Since June 2016 we no longer do this. Unfortunately (what a choice of word!) PR check-in staff at MNL have not complied with the rules and this could have led to nasty consequences for you (I wonder what this might have been, lost luggage?). We no longer have such an interlining agreement. While we could technically do this, it is no longer allowed.
So what they are saying is that unfortunately another airline provided a passenger good service. But as this was against the rules AY would not do it.

I then challenged and asked why AY chooses to have such a rule, they replied it's not just AY, it's a decision together with their partners. No reply to my question as to why the rule is such.

Anyway, I just sent them a link to CX policy pointing out that it really is AY's decision, not someone else's. Especially as this used to work just fine in the past.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:07 am
Moderator, Finnair

The claim about interline is false. They do have interline agreements, it is just finnair policy not to use them in this particular situation.

QR has also backed down from this policy.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
just touching base to see if any rules changed. i guess AY wont interline to OW on seperate pnr still?have KEF-HEL-SIN on AY connecting to CX onto hkg. and from.what i.read i.am.certain this.wont be ok.

but what about AY to AY on seperate PNR? after arriving to HEL from SIN i have.connection to BGO on AY with about 140min connection. i think AY to AY is possible from what i see elsewhere?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Yes, AY to AY is OK under certain conditions.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

105-stock, both flights AY marketed and AY or Norra operated. Scheduled connection must be on or above MCT
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Recently I had a round trip ticket from HEL-ZRH with a separate ticket on Swiss Air from ZRH-LUG since no One World carriers service LUG. On the way in I didn’t ask to have my baggage routed through to LUG, so I went through the process of claiming and rechecking in ZRH.

However, when I checked in for my return flight, the agent in LUG asked if I had a connection in ZRH. I said yes but it is a separate ticket on another airline. He asked for the confirmation and I gave it to him. In less than 3 minutes he had my bags routed all the way to HEL. I was shocked.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Finnairplus Gold
I just flew PNH-HKG-PVG (on one Cathay Economy ticket), overnight stopover at PVG, then PVG-HEL-LHR (on one BC Finnair ticket). I had changed my FF number on the Cathay booking to Finnair so that I could get lounge access at PNH and HKG with my Finnairplus Gold. At the Cathay check-in at PNH, I was asked if I wanted to check my bag right through to LHR. I accepted this kind offer. The bag was tagged accordingly. The following morning at the Finnair check-in at PVG, I was asked if I had a bag. I said it was already checked through to LHR. "Impossible" they said. I showed them the tag but they were unmoved (and unsmiling). After some prodding they agreed to help me resolve the situation. I was advised to go to the baggage claim area downstairs and talk to the Cathay baggage service agent. I was able to pass through reverse security into the baggage claim area (no questions asked) and I found the Cathay service agent desk, It was closed. There was a notice in Chinese that presumably said "back in one hour" or some such. I was running out of time. There were a lot of bags in front of the desk under a plastic crochet net. My bag was there, tagged "Rush to HKG". I shuffled the bags around to get mine out and took it through customs and upstairs to check-in.
remymartin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.