Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The ITDA
..... I'm checking in 2 bags total, sounded like we can't thru-check our bags to RVN since the first leg is AS stock (but with inexperienced DFW staff, who know?)...
As you cross the international order border at HEL you will have to process immigration and probably customs(with your physical bags) at HEL
You award ticket will be AY prime (AY flight number). AS ticket stock (what ever that means to you) is irrelevant. AS is effectively just the travel agent issuing the ticket.
A few hours (2?) is not a lot if allowing for immigration & customs, a possible flight delay and that the HEL-RVN will close X minutes before scheduled departure time.
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
***Extra baggage allowance for Emerald frequent flyers

As an Emerald frequent flyer, the following special checked baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:
  • On itineraries using the baggage allowance “weight” system - 20 kgs in addition to the ticketed-cabin allowance.
  • On itineraries using the “piece system” - one additional bag for free in addition to your ticketed baggage allowance.
Note: This benefit is not available on British Airways' 'Hand Baggage Only/Basic' fares.

*In accordance with the individual policy of the oneworld airline operating the flight. **Priority baggage handling is not currently available on flights operated by British Airways.

Exceptions may apply.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
As you cross the international order border at HEL you will have to process immigration and probably customs(with your physical bags) at HEL
You award ticket will be AY prime (AY flight number). AS ticket stock (what ever that means to you) is irrelevant. AS is effectively just the travel agent issuing the ticket.
A few hours (2?) is not a lot if allowing for immigration & customs, a possible flight delay and that the HEL-RVN will close X minutes before scheduled departure time.
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper

https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
AS stock is relevant because if it was AY stock, I can thru check my two bags at DFW per wiki above.

I will have 5 hours at HEL, which should be more than enough in most situations, especially on an inaugural flight.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:26 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
ITDA thats a nice plan you have but beware of the RVN sidetrip which may kick in scary consequences😉😉.
naah, just joking but you may understand if reading AY forum…
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by FFlash
ITDA thats a nice plan you have but beware of the RVN sidetrip which may kick in scary consequences😉😉.
naah, just joking but you may understand if reading AY forum…
It is only scary if coming from BER or BNE. DFW is safe
FFlash likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
LHR-AMS-HEL separate tix on BA & AY. Can the luggage thru checked in LHR?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
LHR-AMS-HEL separate tix on BA & AY. Can the luggage thru checked in LHR?
As your first flight is BA more of a question for the BA forum
BA thread--->BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

For the return HEL-AMS, AMS-LHR (if you have) look at the wiki her.
esledo likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So it's a no-no both ways. As BA just cancelled the original LHR-AMS, after rebooking to one earlier now the transit time grew to 5 hrs, so there should be no issue to collect the luggage, go airside and check in onwards,
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:26 am

I will post here with how this upcoming trip turns out but here is my situation.....

I have an Expedia.com-booked MIA-JFK-HEL trip coming up this month (returning later in the year) with all legs marketed as AY but the MIA-JFK operated by AA. I also have a separate AY HEL-LHR ticket to get me back to the UK a few hours after I land in HEL. Both tickets are 105-stock.

The big question is whether check-in agent at MIA will allow the bags to be tagged all the way to LHR. As the first leg is operated by AA, I expect to check-in at the AA desks (I am OW Emerald/Finnair Platinum so can use First check-in) so I wonder if they will have any awareness of the Finnair policy (as per the Wiki). However, the Wiki entry is from 2017 but I have not been able to find any reference in Finnairs current T&Cs of FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY. The Finnair Baggage FAQ (specifically the Malaysian Airlines example) does not mention transfers on separate AY operated flights - text below:

DOES MY BAGGAGE GO STRAIGHT TO DESTINATION?

We check your baggage to the final destination marked in your ticket. If you have two separate tickets, your baggage is delivered to the baggage claim area of the destination of your flight. Please collect your baggage and check it in for your connecting flight.

I'm thinking that the added complication of an AA leg and an AA Agent not being familiar with other airlines rules could scupper my request to tag bags through. Finnair Whatsapp chat responded with the following:

"For the baggage check-in, you can ask for the through check-in at Miami check-in desk and give the booking reference for the HEL-LHR flight to our staff there, so they can check if it would be possible."

....so still not really helpful in confirming whether it's possible. Either way, I have time in HEL to clear customs and then re-check my bag unless the JFK-HEL flight is late, in which case, I'll have a problem. I'm thinking of not checking-in online and doing everything at the airport in case they have to "un-check" me in causing additional problems. Maybe the AA First check-in agents will be more flexible especially as I am OW Emerald. I'm sure it would be much easier if I was flying MIA-HEL and checking-in at the Finnair desks...it's the AA part which is likely to be the problem. Any observations much appreciated but either way, I will report back here next week!

Last edited by mikeecix; Jan 5, 2022 at 11:33 am
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I would say that odds are AA will send the bag directly to LHR.

However, in case they don't, make sure that you fulfill all the criteria needed at the time to enter Finland in order to recheck your bag.
mikeecix likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AA in the US is bad with thru-checking bags across separately ticketed PNRs even when it’s all within Oneworld and the ticket stock is from Oneworld airlines that may be more friendly to thru-checking across separately ticketed PNRs than AA.
mikeecix likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:10 pm

So I just flew MIA-JFK-HEL-LHR and managed to get my bag checked through to LHR even though the last leg was on a separate ticket.

Initially the check-in agent said it wasn't possible but then her supervisor came across and showed her how to do it. I think what helped was that I was using the AA First-Class check-in area (as a Plat/OW Emerald) so no queues and a more "personalised" service.....not sure they would have spent so much time on me if I was at a regular check-in desk and didn't have status as the process took about 10 minutes to complete. Both the agent and her supervisor said they used to be able to check bags through on separate tickets but it was no longer allowed. I did highlight (in a very nice way!) that Finnair Platinum customer service had said for me to request this at check-in and I also said the connecting flights were both AY-operated, on 105 ticket stock and the connection time was several hours. At the end of the process, the agent thanked her supervisor and said she'd learnt something new!

So all worked well in the end although I would not be 100% confident of repeating this success in future....I think it really does depend on how knowledgable the agents/supervisors are and also having status.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by mikeecix
So I just flew MIA-JFK-HEL-LHR and managed to get my bag checked through to LHR even though the last leg was on a separate ticket.
Thanks for reporting back to the rest of us!
mikeecix likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mikeecix

Initially the check-in agent said it wasn't possible but then her supervisor came across and showed her how to do it. I think what helped was that I was using the AA First-Class check-in area (as a Plat/OW Emerald) so no queues and a more "personalised" service.....not sure they would have spent so much time on me if I was at a regular check-in desk and didn't have status as the process took about 10 minutes to complete. Both the agent and her supervisor said they used to be able to check bags through on separate tickets but it was no longer allowed. I did highlight (in a very nice way!) that Finnair Platinum customer service had said for me to request this at check-in and I also said the connecting flights were both AY-operated, on 105 ticket stock and the connection time was several hours. At the end of the process, the agent thanked her supervisor and said she'd learnt something new!

So all worked well in the end although I would not be 100% confident of repeating this success in future....I think it really does depend on how knowledgable the agents/supervisors are and also having status.
Oh wow you got really lucky there with AA. I’ve always used their Flagship First check-ins wherever available or priority desks, each time, politely though mind, it’s been a no for through checking in separate tickets! I don’t think it was status that help, I think it was pure chance and luck on the day! I’m glad it worked out though!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX MPO GM, OWS
I'm flying AY J JFK-HEL and then on HEL-AMS in Y on 2 separate tickets (5 hour connection), with tickets issued by CX. Is it still AY's policy to through-check AY-AY connections within the MCT even if they're on 2 different PNRs?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by fragrantharbour
I'm flying AY J JFK-HEL and then on HEL-AMS in Y on 2 separate tickets (5 hour connection), with tickets issued by CX. Is it still AY's policy to through-check AY-AY connections within the MCT even if they're on 2 different PNRs?
No, only AY operated and AY issued separate tickets can be checked throug to your final destination. No harm asking at JFK...

Edit to rephrase: No, only AY operated and 105-plated separate tickets can be checked throug to your final destination. No harm asking at JFK...
fragrantharbour likes this.

Last edited by temppa; Mar 18, 2022 at 5:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.