Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC, SkyTeam - FB, OneWorld - AS
Nrt-hel-lhr-yul ay+ay+ba

I’m flying from NRT to HEL (AY redemption) followed by a separate ticket issued on AY stock for HEL-LHR-YUL (AY then BA). Since where the separate tickets occur is between AY and AY, will Finnair check my bags through? Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Checking baggage across two AY tickets

I have two separate tickets for next week, RVN->HEL and HEL->LHR, both on AY flight numbers, the latter with a BA ticket via avios redemption, former booked direct with AY.

What is baggage check through policy in this situation?

There's a fairly long layover in HEL and if I can't check the bag through are there any left luggage facilities?

With apologies if this is a well worn subject.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:26 am
Suspended

Should be possible and the Schengen lounge has lockers you can use (non-Schengen does too, but that requires going through immigration twice if you're planning to venture out)
Venezuela-Miami and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Not familiar with the check through policy in this particular case.

Fairly familiar with this luggage storage place, located in the main entrance/exit of the airport:

https://www.finavia.fi/en/airports/h...=serviceSearch
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:49 am

That's great - thanks guys.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Based on my experience from October, through check of two itienaries( even when both on AY) is not done. So you might need to collect and recheck luggage.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I guess it depends on the outstation. I did it last month, on 2 different AY tickets connecting on the same day, TLL HEL + HEL LHR, and no issue, but those were both AY tickets on AY flights.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
One could hope, but platinum desk at HEL did not do it (actually two data points this year, one AY->MH and one AY->AY) so I guess it is more about whether the desk knows of rules or not but rules seem to be clear. But on my last occassion, the agent was not even able to find out "joined itienary"-selection in the system so might be that such is not technically possible anymore? But obviously has been, as the agent knew what should be done but was not able to do it.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
You do not need to leave luggage into storage as AY has checkin desks open all day and you can easily recheck the bags upon arrival from RVN.
Venezuela-Miami and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, United Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I have two separate tickets for next week, RVN->HEL and HEL->LHR, both on AY flight numbers, the latter with a BA ticket via avios redemption, former booked direct with AY.

What is baggage check through policy in this situation?

There's a fairly long layover in HEL and if I can't check the bag through are there any left luggage facilities?

With apologies if this is a well worn subject.
did this end up working for you in the end? I am in the same situation (except for the layover — only 1h40)
unfortunately had to combine a BA avios redemption (125 stock) operated by Finnair with a cash AY positionning flight (105 stock)
Old Dec 27, 2023, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Hennebou
did this end up working for you in the end? I am in the same situation (except for the layover — only 1h40)
unfortunately had to combine a BA avios redemption (125 stock) operated by Finnair with a cash AY positionning flight (105 stock)
In the end I didn't bother trying, it was easy enough to collect the bags in Helsinki and recheck as we had a long layover. Rovaniemi is a bit of a zoo even with OW emerald status and we just took route 1 with the baggage. We also had a delay of an hour in RVN due to weather so it'd be squeaky bum time on your timings if you had a delay, but I'm sure you know that already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.