Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have a Finnair ticket HEL-LHR-GLA booked in J and want to book an AY domestic connection from KTT earlier that day (within MCT). Will They agree to through check to GLA at KTT or will I have to collect bags at HEL and recheck?

Reading the thread I *think* I should be OK as AY to AY flights - but not sure if the BA domestic from LHR will be an issue or not. Many thanks in advance
Old Aug 26, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Last time I asked for though check of bags from one AY flight to another AY flight on separate reservations, they declined, which was a bit surprising to me. You may need to check your bags in HEL, but I would absolutely ask for through check to GLA at the check-in on KTT.
DocS likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikrobitti
Last time I asked for though check of bags from one AY flight to another AY flight on separate reservations, they declined, which was a bit surprising to me. You may need to check your bags in HEL, but I would absolutely ask for through check to GLA at the check-in on KTT.
Many thanks - we would have a long connection (5 hrs plus) so no rush if we do need to collect and recheck but would be more convenient... Will report back here re success or otherwise after our trip early next year!
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Would a 2:20 connection at HEL be long enough to collect and recheck bags for a connection to LHR (AY to AY)? The incoming flight would be in business, so the bags would hopefully be unloaded a little faster...
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by moe8555
Would a 2:20 connection at HEL be long enough to collect and recheck bags for a connection to LHR (AY to AY)? The incoming flight would be in business, so the bags would hopefully be unloaded a little faster...
Yes, 2 h 20 mins is normally long enough to collect and recheck bags. Baggage drop closes 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time to LHR.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 7:21 am

Programs: BA EC
luggage check through for two tickets

Hello. This will be my first time on Finnair.

1st ticket: Hong Kong to Helsinki (redemption)
2nd ticket: Helsinki to Riga (cash)

There is only 2 hr 15 min between two flights.

Is it possible for Finnair to check through the luggage from Hong Kong to Riga?
Or they are similar to BA that they wont check through the luggage if on different PNR?

Thank you.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 8:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Are the tickets issued on Finnair-stock ie does the e-ticket number starts with 105?
If so, it should be possible to check-through, and staff in HLG usually are very good at knowing how to.

If not, then it probably will be difficult/impossible. This thread, and the wiki, came about because several airlines in OW jointly decided to stop through check on different PNRs a long time ago.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by intuition
Are the tickets issued on Finnair-stock ie does the e-ticket number starts with 105?
If so, it should be possible to check-through, and staff in HLG usually are very good at knowing how to.

If not, then it probably will be difficult/impossible. This thread, and the wiki, came about because several airlines in OW jointly decided to stop through check on different PNRs a long time ago.
Staff in HKG have no authority to do anything that requires discretion.

Several threads re Finnair and lost/damaged baggage.

Beware even if buying a ticket in a jurisdiction with strong consumer rights.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by neofung

Or they are similar to BA that they wont check through the luggage if on different PNR?

Thank you.
At least couple years ago finnair did check through luggage if both flights are finnair operated and marketed.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Modo
Staff in HKG have no authority to do anything that requires discretion.
There is most likely a Finnair-employed station manager at HKG who will have authority.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Several threads re Finnair and lost/damaged baggage.
Oh no, there were several bags lost/ damaged in the last xxx years?[/QUOTE]

Beware even if buying a ticket in a jurisdiction with strong consumer rights.
Because what will happen to the unaware?
Old Sep 11, 2023, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by neofung

Thank you.
2h15 SHOULD be enough even if having to re-check luggage at HEL - but if you have a non-EU passport it might get tight, if immigration is busy (and after a HKG flight it very well might be)
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Oh no, there were several bags lost/ damaged in the last xxx years?

Because what will happen to the unaware?[/QUOTE]

Check EC/EU 261 thread

Finnair UK Address

plus

Delays 5 APR 2022 Due to Weather

I personally have UK ICO, CAA and my MP dealing with them over what should have been a very simple - lowish value - claim. I have insigated a ban on using Finnair for all corporate travel for companies I'm a Director of or advisor to. Simply too time consuming to deal with!
Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I am sure your MP will do wonders handling your matter with AY
WilcoRoger likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Moderator note:
Just a friendly reminder that this thread is where the through-check policy is discussed, so let's focus on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.