Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: intuition
Official policy as it was published in 2017. My bolding to direct readers to the most commonly asked part. Do note wording 'allow'.

THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Finnair takes care of passenger’s through check-in in all cases where the passenger has an agreement of carriage with Finnair and the through check-in is technically possible and is according to local instructions. This agreement of carriage requires that the passenger holds a Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check, or an electronic ticket, as defined in the Conditions of Carriage and issued by Finnair or on its behalf.
Passenger’s flight reservation (PNR) and flight ticket (single agreement with specific airline) are not always the same thing. Each ticket with different ticket number is an independent agreement of carriage with the ticketed air carrier. It is not possible to through check either passenger or baggage between separate flight tickets even if they are in the same PNR. Check-in is possible only to the final destination on each individual agreement of carriage (= flight ticket).
It’s important to remember that MCT (Minimum Connection Time) at each airport is based on the assumption that flights are booked on the same ticket and this way passenger and baggage may be through checked to the final destination. In case flights are on separate tickets, passenger has to collect baggage and recheck on the connecting flight at the transfer station thus MCT is no longer valid. Passenger shall be informed already at the time of reservation that check-in can be done only as far as Finnair has a contract of carriage with the passenger.

FINNAIR THROUGH CHECK-IN POLICY
Passenger and baggage shall be through checked to the final destination as indicated by the flight ticket, provided it constitutes one single agreement of carriage with Finnair. Finnair will provide through check-in for a journey ticketed in a single PNR; this includes segments ticketed separately but booked in the same PNR (and/or referenced in a single PNR during the time of booking).

In addition to the basic rule Finnair will allow through check-in of customer and baggage with separate tickets on separate PNRs on AY–AY (including AY franchising flights operated by Norra) connections when the transfer is within the Minimum Connection Time (MCT). For AY–AY connection flights on the separate PNRs have to be both marketed and operated by Finnair or Norra and flights ticketed on the 105-stock. The agent shall always inform the customer of the destination where the customer and his or her baggage are checked-in to.
Print Wikipost

Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by odo
I have a 2 PNR trip coming up where I have SFO-LHR-HEL (BA+AY) and HEL-OUL (AY) on separate PNRs. 1 hour connection at HEL so not even slightest chance to get bags out and re-check them. Things can get interesting...
Oh no, I have somewhat similar 2PNR setup with 1h connection time in HEL, both AY legs and I wonder what if incoming late and missing connecting PNR, will AY honor a change / reroute then...

Thanks OP for the headsup even if this thing sucks
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Yes, TPE is one of my destinations that is hand-luggage only from now on. BR is back in the picture - hello Kitty! So are my connections to China making use of the 72-hrs visa-free travel (I often do HEL-Asia-China-HEL 72-hrs trips)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
Oh no, I have somewhat similar 2PNR setup with 1h connection time in HEL, both AY legs and I wonder what if incoming late and missing connecting PNR, will AY honor a change / reroute then...

Thanks OP for the headsup even if this thing sucks
Like I said in the OP the AY CI lady stated that AY to AY luggage would transfer even on separate PNRs unlike ba who wont even do that on ba to ba itinearies. But if you have a pure AY only... Partner airline check in wont work most likely...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:00 pm

I was not worried about luggage as I never check-in any, but rather worried about missing a connecting PNR flight what will happen (non-refund, non-flex cheapo Y), even if both are AY carrier...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
I was not worried about luggage as I never check-in any, but rather worried about missing a connecting PNR flight what will happen (non-refund, non-flex cheapo Y), even if both are AY carrier...
Has AY ever offered such protections?

I know AA did and does but I was not aware AY did!?

When coming from the USA I allways have 2-4 32kg bags
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by kauppias
Used to have similar "setup" in the good old times when 1€ was worth ~1.5$, but not anymore...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Used to have similar "setup" in the good old times when 1€ was worth ~1.5$, but not anymore...
I can still buy alot of kids clothes and fun stuff for the 400€ limit 😂😂😂 makes the trips more worthwhile 😃 Hoping the dollar will return some day 😃😇
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
Has AY ever offered such protections?

I know AA did and does but I was not aware AY did!?

Well I don't know if they do (not obliged to do), actually more interested in how they handle the situation if they offer "soft perk change/reroute" as courtesy in that regard once it is AY all the way...

While on the bag thing and USA, last time when we came from NYC the lady at check-in desk asked us "where are your bags?" since we did not have any bags to check in. "only carry-on, we don't have any bags to check in" where she responded "really, are you kidding?". "No, no bags". "Ah, ok, just thinking, usually on this flight people check in tons of bags"
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:13 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
What does "no through check-in" mean?

According to CX document through check-in "includes BPs, baggage to final destination and regulatory checks" and to me this have a big impact.
So they will now refuse to check you in and produce onwards BP? (not that it works all the time as is)

Also, they will not allow airside transits since the "regulatory check" is limited to the first ticket, ie they will not evaluate your visa status in your final destination but only your visa status at transfer points?

Now I see where the "this flight is going to India, so therefore you need Indian visa" is coming from.

Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Thinking this from AY business point of view, this probably affects only a handful of AY customers and destinations, but very probably those customers that travel alot, and not with the cheapest tickets. Not only it makes transfers very much more time consuming and far less convenient, but also erases the support on missed connections, increasing transfer time needed significantly. And thus making AY, and oneworld less interesting.

• HEL: prob very few customers connecting to another oneworld carrier but AY, except passengers connecting from domestic flights to BA/AB/JL/QR
  • LHR: might affect some passengers that have found better fares from LHR onwards, but prob majority are travelling with one ticket all the way through LHR. If travelling with separate tickets at least connecting with BA it would be only one way benefit having baggage checked through, as BA is not anymore supporting even BA/BA connections
  • TXL/DUS: AB is having some attractive prices onwards, but if price is the factor why fly (usually more expensive) AY on separate ticket for the connection?
  • US: one has to clear customs in any case on arrival
  • China: very few oneworld onward connections, so no major effect
  • HKG: major issue, as CX offers very good connections, and AY booking engine is quite bad in offering those on same ticket. Luckily HKG is not the worst airport to go re-check-in your bags, but in any case it takes some time and increases hazzle. From AY point of view this can lead in selecting CX all the way through from HEL to the final destination instead of flying AY direct to HKG and transfering there to CX, to avoid all the hazzle in re-checking the baggage
  • BKK: some good oneworld connections and as AY booking engine is very poor in supporting onward journey with those, it is very tempting to choose separate tickets (or actually in many cases the only alternative if not using some good TA). Bearing in mind the zoo BKK usually is, it makes connecting far more difficult and time consuming
  • SIN: some good oneworld connections, but prob less passengers travelling on separate tickets than at BKK, and much smoother immigration
  • Japan: Prob no major effect

As a whole this is very unfortunate development and from customer point of view makes connecting on oneworld far less interesting. I just don't understand how oneworld sees this kind of "enhancements" improve customer experience that is one major issue of alliances to the customers. At least I would rather wait my connecting flight in the lounge instead of immigration queue twice at some busy airport. From AY point of view this cannot be a major issue affecting only a handful of customers, but from the point of view of that handful of customer it can be a major issue in selecting the routing, as far as AY is not serving all major destinations, so I just wonder why they have selected to change the current policy, as continuing former oneworld policy (checking-in and baggage checked all the way to the final destination) would be a competitive advantage for them.

"Airline designed for you" and "Peace of mind"... Have they forgotten these at AY when making this decision?

Just my 3cents...
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
  • BKK: some good oneworld connections and as AY booking engine is very poor in supporting onward journey with those, it is very tempting to choose separate tickets (or actually in many cases the only alternative if not using some good TA). Bearing in mind the zoo BKK usually is, it makes connecting far more difficult and time consuming
  • SIN: some good oneworld connections, but prob less passengers travelling on separate tickets than at BKK, and much smoother immigration
  • Japan: Prob no major effect
I think that for JP there are many a domestic connection that is affected, though (IIRC) you clear customs at your port of entry anyway. BTW Japan is a good stop over point for down under, exactly midway to SYD (9 hrs both legs) nice overnight flight on QF - only issue is to find a good price

SIN is a PITA if continuing on MH or QF - I'd even say even more than BKK
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It is very unlikely that AY will protect you. You would have to buy a new ticket in case of a misconnect.
The connecting flight desk at HEL will most likely send you to the ticket desk (landside). Those ladies won't override system rules for you.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:34 am

Update: AY confirms it will adopt Oneworld's new "one PNR good, two PNRs bad" system for through-checked luggage and in-advance boarding passes for connecting flights.

Details: Oneworld airlines revise baggage policy for connecting flights
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:23 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The old policy can still be found in Finnair Easy?! Anyone with proper access who can check?

Finnair Easy = Information and news portal for Travel agents

Attaching old policy, probably not valid anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Through Check-In | Finnair.pdf (53.5 KB, 304 views)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by intuition
OMG. They are really out to make travel less conveinient, for no apparent reason.
Is it possible this is driven by EC 261? I read last week EC clarifies that for a connecting flight, a compensation must be given if you miss the second flight due to late arrival of the first flight.

Say you fly LAX-LHR-HEL on two separate PNRs (AA/AY) and your flight is late by 3 hr.
1) If they check you through and say you miss your LHR-HEL connection (say it's the last flight of the day) then you're entitled to compensation, correct?
2) If they don't check you through, i believe you're not entitled for compensation on the first flight since it is less than 4 hr while for the second flight, it's your own fault since you didn't arrive at the gate on time.

On a single PNR presumably airlines have an agreement as to how to split the compensation cost. On two separate PNRs with two different OW airlines, who's at fault - AA for being late (but not 'late' within EC261 definition) or AY for offloading the passenger who didn't show up? The passenger presumably doesn't care who's at fault. From the airlines' perspective it does matter since two separate PNRs means each airline keeps the revenue themselves ...

As of now AA will still check you through on separate PNRs only because DL does. As long as DL does, so will AA ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.