FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finnair baggage on separate tickets after June 1, 2016 OW decision!?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:26 am
Steve_Hun

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
I'm turning to you guys for help, as the good people of Kajaani were only confused, without any answer to my question...

I have an AY issued, AY operated ticket for the following route: FRA-HEL-SFO; LAX-HEL-FRA

I need to buy a HEL-FRA-HEL ticket to be able to actually fly it. For the first leg, it is not an issue, as based on info read here, I can ask the staff at HEL to check my suitcase straight to SFO, without the FRA detour, and even if not, for the morning flight there is ~2 hours in FRA between landing and take-off. However, I see issues with the return leg, as the turnaround time for the afternoon / evening flight to-from FRA is ~50 minutes, which would not be enough to collect the suitcase, check it in and pass through security again to catch the return flight.

I see two possibilities:

1, Short check suitcase in LAX to HEL, not bringing it to FRA and pick it up after returning from FRA the same evening

2, Ask the check-in agent at LAX to through-check my suitcase for LAX-HEL-FRA-HEL and hope that in FRA they don't get too confused about putting the suitcase back to the same flight they took it off from... Based on the published through-check policy of AY, this should be ok, as both tickets will be AY issued under 105 stock, AY marketed and AY operated.

Do you guys think that any of the above would work? Where can I find the MCT for FRA to see if the ~50 minutes would be enough or not?