Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by esledo
Why is AY priority check-in at HEL such a crap experience nowadays? I did not have any bags to check but just wanted to collect a proper boarding pass. What a mistake.

I was the only one at Plat/OWE queue and one passenger being processed at the plat desk. The Biz/OWS queue was a bit longer and only one agent per queue.

However, this one passenger took at least 15 minutes to be processed at the Plat desk, the agent wondering if she can override R block in Altea for an exit row and then quoting upgrade prices, phoning somewhere else (apparently service desk or something). Her colleague from C desk also visited her trying to assist.

What gripes me here is that the C desk happily continued processing only her own queue, ignoring me and the others at the Plat queue. (No one really recognised our existence or directed to other desks, the service desk not that far was free most of the time.) When I finally got to the desk the agent did not bother to apologise for the wait until I gave a piece of my mind about their waiting times and queue management policies.

I think that from my personal (work) experience I have some kind of idea what airline ground handling is or what it should be and I do not think this is it. I also know how overly complicated the AY recruiting procedure for Service Agents is and yet they end up with this kind of people?
I had a similar bad experience at the priority desk at HEL this morning. One OWE desk open which a couple ahead of me totally halted as the agent needed to call somewhere for help. The regular business priority line (1 desk open) was progressing fine but had all the time like 10 people in the queue so I didn't feel like moving as my desk should be opening soon. Also self service bag drop had a long line. Finally after 10 minutes of waiting I had enough and moved myself to the service desks (not bag drop but ticket desks) where there was no line and the agent reluctantly took care of my bag drop. Altogether my bag drop took about 20 seconds so why oh why do I need to stand in line for so long when the process itself is so quick.

And don't even get me started on the 51 minutes between aircraft arriving at gate and first bags appearing on the baggage reclaim belt at AMS after the flight. How I wish I could travel without checked luggage.
esledo likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Seems WAW is on the list of super-expensive SH destinations (as BRU). 600€+ for a return flight from Helsinki, if you don't spend 3 nights or Sat/Sun night.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:58 am

Most of eastern europe has stupid fare rules. Min 3 nights or departure fri-sat.
Don't know if they gain anything on that, since there is plenty of Z-bucket available if you search on +3 night stays.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by niksal
Seems WAW is on the list of super-expensive SH destinations (as BRU). 600€+ for a return flight from Helsinki, if you don't spend 3 nights or Sat/Sun night.
If you don't mind extra segments, start from TLL. You'll probably be well below 300€ even with AY positioning to TLL.
If you don't need tier points / segments, redeem points. 15(16)k + 33€ brings the cost down significantly; even with repurchasing points it's total around 250€, let alone points sales etc.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by niksal
Yes. There is no competition on that route, so Finnair is milking the business travelers like some of my colleagues on those routes.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Bought tickets on new site for 2 pax, and AY was "nice" enough to first authorise the whole amount on my card, and then actually charge my card once for every passanger.
So double the amount of money is gone and I am couple of thousands in overdraft. And even if I will get somebody on the line when people wake up, it might still take days, before the initial authorisation gets cleared. And I'll end up paying overdraft fees.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
There was a similar case to this on HS I think just yesterday. Seems that there’s a problem with payments, although AY is simply blaiming the credit card issuer. Authorisations and actual charges should be connected by an ID which seems to have failed somewhere along the process.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Is this really new? I had similar problem last summer with authorisation held for a long time, way past the charge was finalised. If the same, it is not the new web system, it is either AY backbone or payment processor (or both).
Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by juhanh
Bought tickets on new site for 2 pax, and AY was "nice" enough to first authorise the whole amount on my card, and then actually charge my card once for every passanger.
So double the amount of money is gone and I am couple of thousands in overdraft. And even if I will get somebody on the line when people wake up, it might still take days, before the initial authorisation gets cleared. And I'll end up paying overdraft fees.
I don't think I've experienced this with AY, although I have experienced this with other merchants. (My experience is that AY puts a $1.00 "authorization" that does take a while to drop out.) Unless it works differently in other countries, overdraft fees are applied only when there is a charge that posts. Authorizations hold up your credit line/available balance but shouldn't incur an overdraft fee. If there is an overdraft fee charged, definitely try calling your bank to see if they will refund it, especially since it's not your fault.
mpkz likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:01 pm
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
No plat drink on AY370 KUO-HEL ATR on sunday evening - out of booze - SCANDALOUS!

Dubious explanation - the carts are filled only on every three days. Should I file an official complaint? Watering down the only benefit on those flying sardine tins!

Moreover, Gate 7 arrival. So much blabbering about the "easy" connections at the HELL airport by Finavia!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by TTL
No plat drink on AY370 KUO-HEL ATR on sunday evening - out of booze - SCANDALOUS!

Dubious explanation - the carts are filled only on every three days. Should I file an official complaint? Watering down the only benefit on those flying sardine tins!

Moreover, Gate 7 arrival. So much blabbering about the "easy" connections at the HELL airport by Finavia!
Definitely complain. What's next - every other longhaul flight has booze??
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Meatfree Monday may have flopped, but maybe Spiritsfree Saturday has been introduced!
TTL and remymartin like this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by esledo
Why is AY priority check-in at HEL such a crap experience nowadays? I did not have any bags to check but just wanted to collect a proper boarding pass. What a mistake.

I was the only one at Plat/OWE queue and one passenger being processed at the plat desk. The Biz/OWS queue was a bit longer and only one agent per queue.

However, this one passenger took at least 15 minutes to be processed at the Plat desk, the agent wondering if she can override R block in Altea for an exit row and then quoting upgrade prices, phoning somewhere else (apparently service desk or something). Her colleague from C desk also visited her trying to assist.

What gripes me here is that the C desk happily continued processing only her own queue, ignoring me and the others at the Plat queue. (No one really recognised our existence or directed to other desks, the service desk not that far was free most of the time.) When I finally got to the desk the agent did not bother to apologise for the wait until I gave a piece of my mind about their waiting times and queue management policies.

I think that from my personal (work) experience I have some kind of idea what airline ground handling is or what it should be and I do not think this is it. I also know how overly complicated the AY recruiting procedure for Service Agents is and yet they end up with this kind of people?
Here comes some free consulting for AY.

1. Buy some Tensa barriers.
2. Set up 1 line for Lumos
3. Set up 1 line for plats.
4. Set up 1 line for other priority pax.
5. Instruct all priority check in agents to always take the pax from Lumo line if anyone is there. If not, take a pax from plat line if anyone is there. If not, take the first pax from regular priority line.

Problem solved - if the # of agents is sufficient.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by TTL
I personally prefer those gates since the other option is bus transportation. But I barely fly non-Schengen so first stop is usually the Schengen lounge.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
Originally Posted by juhanh
1) Called support, first time for everything, I guess - was told that "other department" will be notified
2) "Other dept." was notified because the booking was released during the weekend, didn't receive any comms from AY regarding that, though was promised
3) Was not charged overdraft fees, that was a UI optimisation of my bank's (which makes sense 99.99% of the times, but didn't for this case)

The lady I spoke to had pretty basic english but I managed to get across. So all in all not massively negative experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.