Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This is no way, AY - things to improve [feedback thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by petteriusa
Well this is annoying. I went to go purchase a gift card on line from the Finnair shop. They only accept payment via Finnish bank account, of which I don't have. I called the service number to ask if I could purchase it at the airport, placed on hold for a few minutes only to be told I need to call another number. I write it down, hang up and go to call. It's the same number I just called. I'm not calling back only to be placed on hold again, the total call time was almost 15 minutes.

Does anyone know if these can be purchased at HEL? I'll be there next week in any case. I sent them an e-mail, but I'm not expecting a reply until I'm in Finland next week.

Thanks!
What about open a Holvi bankaccount, it´s free, it´s online and hassle free and should be finnish (at least I have an FI IBAN)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't think it's possible. Perhaps you could get help from a friend with a Finnish bank account? The voucher/gift card itself is fully tranferable so anyone can buy it.
Thanks, I may have to go this route.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Ed Size
What about open a Holvi bankaccount, it´s free, it´s online and hassle free and should be finnish (at least I have an FI IBAN)
That's interesting but I don't have my own business. Unless they have a personal banking service that I'm missing.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Why is AY priority check-in at HEL such a crap experience nowadays? I did not have any bags to check but just wanted to collect a proper boarding pass. What a mistake.

I was the only one at Plat/OWE queue and one passenger being processed at the plat desk. The Biz/OWS queue was a bit longer and only one agent per queue.

However, this one passenger took at least 15 minutes to be processed at the Plat desk, the agent wondering if she can override R block in Altea for an exit row and then quoting upgrade prices, phoning somewhere else (apparently service desk or something). Her colleague from C desk also visited her trying to assist.

What gripes me here is that the C desk happily continued processing only her own queue, ignoring me and the others at the Plat queue. (No one really recognised our existence or directed to other desks, the service desk not that far was free most of the time.) When I finally got to the desk the agent did not bother to apologise for the wait until I gave a piece of my mind about their waiting times and queue management policies.

I think that from my personal (work) experience I have some kind of idea what airline ground handling is or what it should be and I do not think this is it. I also know how overly complicated the AY recruiting procedure for Service Agents is and yet they end up with this kind of people?

Last edited by esledo; Jun 15, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Are they even employed by AY, I think I have seen Finavia Staff ID's on some of the agents. Hence, they might just be working there at their designated desk, focusing on their own KPI.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Are they even employed by AY, I think I have seen Finavia Staff ID's on some of the agents. Hence, they might just be working there at their designated desk, focusing on their own KPI.
I´m not sure about this but I can imagine that everyone that works at Vantaa has to have some kind of ID issued by Finavia to be able to move around the airport freely?
I know I have seen Sodexo cleaning staff also carrying Finavia ID tags.
esledo likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
There are both Finavia and Finnair staff in the departure halls. Finavia guides help people with any airport related matters on the floor while airlines like Finnair and Norwegian have their own staff helping passengers with check in machines, bag drop and other airline related matters + of course check in desks.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Are they even employed by AY, .
Swissport is ground handling agent for AY.

Norwegian using Airpro.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Like last winter I went Plat desk in HEL asking for my boarding pass from DXB. Answer was no, go DXB and ask there, can not print it here.

And 2 weeks earlier I got my DXB-HEL boarding pass from that same Plat desk.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Swissport is ground handling agent for AY.

Norwegian using Airpro.
Swissport handling only Norra ATR flights and AY’s baggage, not their check-in.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by haapalainen
(...) airlines like Finnair and Norwegian have their own staff helping passengers with check in machines (...)
True but isn't that kinda weird given that the check-in machines are not airline-specific? If I try to check-in to AY at a machine near the D8 counter, and then take my sweet time, what will the staff nearby do send me off to the Finnair hall?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by esledo
Why is AY priority check-in at HEL such a crap experience nowadays? I did not have any bags to check but just wanted to collect a proper boarding pass. What a mistake.

I was the only one at Plat/OWE queue and one passenger being processed at the plat desk. The Biz/OWS queue was a bit longer and only one agent per queue.

However, this one passenger took at least 15 minutes to be processed at the Plat desk, the agent wondering if she can override R block in Altea for an exit row and then quoting upgrade prices, phoning somewhere else (apparently service desk or something). Her colleague from C desk also visited her trying to assist.

What gripes me here is that the C desk happily continued processing only her own queue, ignoring me and the others at the Plat queue. (No one really recognised our existence or directed to other desks, the service desk not that far was free most of the time.) When I finally got to the desk the agent did not bother to apologise for the wait until I gave a piece of my mind about their waiting times and queue management policies.

To put it simple: that sucks. Would hope check-in agents would be empowered to use their situation awareness and figure out what's smart to keep things running smooth. IMO knowing Amadeus/Sabre/*insert any GDS or airline specific system* isn't the key to a good recruitment. If you don't have an eye for solving stuff (like simple queue management), then having great computing skills won't rescue you.

A recent example of mine, when a check-in agent does a smart move: I was collecting BPs at LGW for my return booking, because I was about to do an immediate turnaround and didn't wish to go landside at my next stop. Wasn't sure, if the self-service kiosk would permit it or not, plus it wasn't busy, so went to the elite tier queues. I was standing in line to the Club Europe/World/OWS desks. There was one or two of those manned and both (or the sole one - sorry, can't remember anymore) were occupied upon my arrival. One First/OWE desk was open and there was nobody being attended. I was the only one around. The First/OWE agent winked me over. Now that's what I call queue management with an eye for situations. I'm most certain the lower class desks would've done the same for any First/OWE pax waiting. It wasn't a big deal, but a small gesture that impressed me.

(Well, the agent wen't off duty or for a break after that, so perhaps I was too much to cope with? )
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Unfortunately that seems to be company policy, each desk cares only of their own line, not just at at HEL but also at outstations. Properly managed they would first empty the highest priority line by all agents regardless of designation of the desk, and only then proceed to lower/economy line. But no, they just don't care if the the priority line is long and agent busy with some time consuming customer, they keep on handling economy passangers. As it has happened not only once or twice but numerous times, it must be company policy, or no policy at all leaving check-in agents do whatever they want, and that is taking the easiest way. That sucks.
esledo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Yeah, don't bother with the desk unless you actually have bags to drop off or there's no queue.

The kiosks work fine for printing "real" (for me a real boarding pass is one on a cardboard paper instead of those flimsy thermal slips everyone seems to be using these days) boarding passes so just stick to them ...
esledo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / FlyingBlue Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Yeah, don't bother with the desk unless you actually have bags to drop off or there's no queue.

The kiosks work fine for printing "real" (for me a real boarding pass is one on a cardboard paper instead of those flimsy thermal slips everyone seems to be using these days) boarding passes so just stick to them ...
Haha luckily it's not as bad yet as those AirAsia ''boarding passes''. They just look like receipts you'd get from any random supermarket.
Ah well... it's for a good cause. It must be environmentally friendlier. *AHEM* it saves them money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.