Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:53 pm

Any new freelancers who have managed to access Aspire lounge on Lufhtansa flight + Gold. I was denied and the reason was that they only accept PP or similar. Then recommended me to visit the SAS lounge, which she knew was closed, when I pointed that out.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:47 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
In theory, you can through pretty much any captive portal by tunneling your data over the Domain Name System (DNS). Captive portals can't practically block this because it would confuse Windows and other OSes too badly leading to poor experience for the paying users. But this approach is extremely slow; you might be able to synchronise your mail and calendar, and not much else.

I suppose in this case, it is more trivial: the captive portal will not block preexisting connections after the time-out expires. So if your VPN client is able to maintain a steady continuous connection to the VPN gateway, you should be able to keep using. But the key difference is that you need to have been validly connected to start up.

Now those are just my informed hypothesises. I am not that badly addicted to the Internet that I would have bothered to try to actually do this. Besides unless it is provided by corporate, you will have to pay for the VPN, so while you would not be paying the airline, you would still be paying.
r2d2, SPBanker and mpkz like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Diamond
Little off topic, but using VPN (and paying for that) is not such a bad idea when using wifi all over the world.
WilcoRoger, mpkz and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Lauri_fly
Any new freelancers who have managed to access Aspire lounge on Lufhtansa flight + Gold. I was denied and the reason was that they only accept PP or similar. Then recommended me to visit the SAS lounge, which she knew was closed, when I pointed that out.
LH does not have a contract with Aspire so your denial was correct.
Lauri_fly likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
LH does not have a contract with Aspire so your denial was correct.
Thank you for the reply!
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by plain
Little off topic, but using VPN (and paying for that) is not such a bad idea when using wifi all over the world.
Plus there are free VPNs out there (not that I mind paying a little bit per month for a provider that I can trust and where I can easily choose the location, it's secure AND allows access to things like BBC iPlayer, Yle Areena etc. while in different countries)
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by mpkz
You won't be able to access the "status screen" any more, so if you disconnect for some reason, you are gone, but F-Secure's VPN product for example sends connections in a form where most airline WiFi providers are unable to distinguish you browsing the net from you accessing their status page, which you can do all flight (not super savvy about networking myself, the guy who whitehat hacked AA who posts here rarely can maybe tell more)
Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! Worked nicely, too.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:11 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Plenty of leg space in ay J today 😆😁🤷‍♂️
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:27 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
AF wifi is not limited to 1h but throughout the flight.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 12:52 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Tier benefit or generally available?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by intuition
Tier benefit or generally available?
All pax
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Lauri_fly
No lounge for any LH pax in HEL: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounges
Lauri_fly likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No lounge for any LH pax in HEL: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounges
no complimentary access 😆 but we do get access with the right card 😁

But indeed star access has been crappified for awhile at HEL quite crappy
Lauri_fly likes this.

Last edited by kauppias; Mar 28, 2022 at 6:46 am
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
AF wifi is not limited to 1h but throughout the flight.
Really? Haven't flown AF short haul with WiFi but KL has 30 mins messaging on both long and short haul (confirmed on flights this month) and AF had the same in 2020 when I flew them long haul.

VPN bypassed the KL time limit btw and actually worked relatively for browsing on HEL-AMS recently..
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by mpkz
Really? Haven't flown AF short haul with WiFi but KL has 30 mins messaging on both long and short haul (confirmed on flights this month) and AF had the same in 2020 when I flew them long haul.

VPN bypassed the KL time limit btw and actually worked relatively for browsing on HEL-AMS recently..
The "Free Message Pass" is available for free, for all pax, throughout the whole flight on AF aircrafts. WiFi on board | Air France
mpkz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.