Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:06 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

I guess we have been hogging the Amex thread for too long for off-topic lounge like discussions, and since I've had the moderator call out my höpö-höpö, I now propose a new thread for more nonsensical things.

So this would be the place where we post stuff that at least in some remote way has something to do with Finnair *) but is too insignificant for a thread on its own. Plus all that banter nordic people are famous for.

*) For example, to stay on topic being Finnish would suffice, as the 55,8% state ownership has a linkage to Finnair. Platinums naturally has the right to post nonsense regardless of nationality

Well, let's try and see if it works.

I'll start off with something that might be on the more substantial side. I found this nice site where collectors of timetables have scanned their collections.

This 1933 timetable offers some interesting reading too.

How about a HEL-STO return for 1650 SMK/FMK, and you can choose with or without a stop in Åbo? No HBO fares though, everyone is allowed to bring "ten to fifteen kg" without extra charge.

Or, the "free transfer bus because airports are outside the cities" or how the 2,5 hour flight "saves you no less than 19 hours". (Finnair apparently has used the same time-saving argument for 90 years...)

HEL-BER is offered as an 11 hour trip, "offering you quite a different view than the Stockholm trip. A few moments after taking off from Skatudden/katajanokan you will pass Gråhara fyr, the last frontier of Finland."

1933 timetable
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...y33/ay33-1.jpg
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...y33/ay33-2.jpg

Overview of AY timetables
http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/ay.htm
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Typical Finnair, charging more for one-ways since 1933.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
So luggages between 0 and 10 kg are not allowed? Damn.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
As a Plat I welcome this thread wholeheartedly for my personal höpöhöpö!

Ps. Flew OH-LCH DC-3 today
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by cistavoda
This one? Spotted flying over my house last month - sounded like coming in for a bombing run

EDIT: must have been it, as it is the only flight capable DC-3 in Finland

LCSinTexas and manywhere like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Aug 9, 2015 at 2:45 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
Typical Finnair, charging more for one-ways since 1933.
Since we're on the höpö-höpö thread: Would this not be the default ? Are there any substantial examples of 2 x oneways being cheaper than a return ticket ? I'd venture a guess that all modes of transport have been less rt than ow, until fairly recently LCC style pricing on some airlines.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AY and AB sees different award availability on BA

So I wanted to book the midday LHR-HEL on BA. AY showed no availabilty while I could book two seats with AB miles without an issue. (and in the process I burned some of the miles I bought a bit rushly during their sale early this year)

Shouldn't all OW airlines see the same BA availabilty? Note, this is Y on shorthaul, so absolutely nothing fancy.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Lappe
Are there any substantial examples of 2 x oneways being cheaper than a return ticket ? I'd venture a guess that all modes of transport have been less rt than ow, until fairly recently LCC style pricing on some airlines.
Turkish I have bought cheaper oneways than roundtrip.

^ for the thread
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lappe
Since we're on the höpö-höpö thread: Would this not be the default ? Are there any substantial examples of 2 x oneways being cheaper than a return ticket ? I'd venture a guess that all modes of transport have been less rt than ow, until fairly recently LCC style pricing on some airlines.
Yes, I guess it is and has been common for transport companies to incentivise customers to purchase a return instead of a one way, which I think is reasonable in the 1933 pricing. However today I find Finnair's one way pricing more punitive than anything.

I believe it is common for U.S carriers to have one ways matching the return pricing, also keeping in mind the recent announcement from the LH group moving in the same direction. ^

Of course Finnair is allowed to charge what it wants, I'm just suggesting that if they priced one ways at a more reasonable rate, they could attract more customers whilst also reducing throwaway ticketing.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:51 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
^
Passenger or driver?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
However today I find Finnair's one way pricing more punitive than anything.

Of course Finnair is allowed to charge what it wants, I'm just suggesting that if they priced one ways at a more reasonable rate, they could attract more customers whilst also reducing throwaway ticketing.
Add to this penalizing ex-HEL customers, both in s/h and l/h - pet peeve of mine.

At the end of the day I don't mind having to frequently visit e.g PRG or BUD if it means that I can fly longhauls (and by extension the s/h feeders) in the pointy end for the same money as otherwise in whY class ex-HEL.

But there's a risk in that for AY, because ex-BUD I have a bunch of other cheap options from OS, LH, BA, QR, TK, KL, whatnot - clearly shown that next time I fly to NRT it will be with TK, saving 400€ (compared to BUD-HEL-NRT!) and in the process requalifying for *G until 2019 (!) Interesting to see how TK performs - I flew them only BKK-SGN on their widebody, and that's a really short bounce.

The jury is still out on the upcoming bounce to TPE - via HEL or via IST is nearly exactly the same cost.

By the way positioning - a HEL-WAW-HEL I actually needed priced out 150€ more expensive than an open jaw HEL-WAW/BUD-HEL + WAW-HEL-BUD. So AY actually give me money for positioning to BUD so that I can fly C longhauls on the cheap.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Aug 9, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:03 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite

Very cool!

And intuition, very cool thread, obviously lots of (anti)social demand for it.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
But there's a risk in that for AY, because ex-BUD I have a bunch of other cheap options from OS, LH, BA, QR, TK, KL, whatnot -...
Agreed, that is the risk. For me it has been more like "since positioning makes total trip time longer, AY has lost its competetive edge to me and there is no reason not to choose QR inspite of long connections"

Funny thing is, I didn't care about positioning until AY lowered earnings from scandinavia.

But I guess we talk too much about the positionings, because I find it more and more difficult to get good tickets. Splendid WAW-ticketing though!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by intuition
How about a HEL-STO return for 1650 SMK/FMK, and you can choose with or without a stop in Åbo?
But is HEL an appropriate code for the Katajanokka "seaport"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katajanokka_Airport

Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by duvin
But is HEL an appropriate code for the Katajanokka "seaport"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katajanokka_Airport
Probably no IATA/ICAO codes in 1936 (when the airport closed)

BTW Malmi is HEM today, but was it always so or just gave up HEL to Seutula?

(FWIIW HEN is Hernesaari)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.