Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Finnair höpö-höpö (nonsense) thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Since AY didn't offer rebooking on VR, I don't think that AY took all reasonable measures to avoid the delay.
But as they offered the possibility of taking a taxi, they offered a better alternative than having to spend the night in Vantaa waiting for the next train (which I assume would have been the following morning).
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by r2d2
But as they offered the possibility of taking a taxi, they offered a better alternative than having to spend the night in Vantaa waiting for the next train (which I assume would have been the following morning).
We landed at 16.34, so VR would probably have been an option. Transfer desk did not offer any ground transport option, they said we do not arrange such things you are on your own with that, but you can make a claim for the costs of ground transport if you arrange such by yourself. No further details on how and when to claim costs or what costs they deemed acceptable.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
​​
r2d2 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Since AY didn't offer rebooking on VR, I don't think that AY took all reasonable measures to avoid the delay. Even if the puking child was an extraordinary circumstance, the additional delay caused by the refusal to rebook on VR is probably eligible for compensation.
I wonder. A train is hardly “comparable transport conditions” while hotel + next available flight is.

Interesting and unfortunate case. At this point, I don’t think I need or what to repeat my view of small children on aeroplanes…
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
I wonder. A train is hardly “comparable transport conditions” while hotel + next available flight is.

Interesting and unfortunate case. At this point, I don’t think I need or what to repeat my view of small children on aeroplanes…
That was basically what AY transfer desk said. We do flights and hotels, nothing else.
Small children you say 🙂 I had two of my own, this was a mass tourism trip/family vacay to DXB. Felt bad for the parents doing the walk of shame with a puked child on the shoulder from 58Ö all the way to 1A front door when deboarding.

Landed 27hrs 23minutes late in VAA. Let's see what happens when claiming EC261 compensation. When thinking about it, why didn't AY kill this 50min connection well ahead/immediately after Ukraine war started. Very risky even without a puking child.
According to my mailbox they had sent a notification at 11.20 yesterday while onboard without wifi (not containing any info about what was changed) , so I guess they knew early the connection was doomed. And with one daily to VAA seats were probably needed, so they went for that instead of waiting for late connections.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by seldomrfly
We landed at 16.34, so VR would probably have been an option. Transfer desk did not offer any ground transport option, they said we do not arrange such things you are on your own with that, but you can make a claim for the costs of ground transport if you arrange such by yourself.
In that case it would have been better for everyone to take the train: You would have arrived the same evening and AY wouldn't have had to pay you a hotel. Even if you would have missed the last train to Vaasa, you could have taken the train to Seinäjoki and a taxi from there

AY must have too few domestic flights these days not to have procedures in place for cases like this.

Originally Posted by seldomrfly
When thinking about it, why didn't AY kill this 50min connection well ahead/immediately after Ukraine war started.
I"ve never seen airlines proactively cancelling connections that are within the MCT, no matter how risky they are. They are also happy to sell such connections. It makes me laugh when I see a connection where the first flight would be on some regional airline known of poor punctuality and then you would have a short connection to a long haul which would be difficult to reroute.

Even in the case of IRROPS, I've found it quite rare for the airlines to reroute you already from the origin airport if your first flight is late and you would miss the connection at the hub - even if they could do a reroute that would spare them for paying the EC261 compensation.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by r2d2
Even in the case of IRROPS, I've found it quite rare for the airlines to reroute you already from the origin airport if your first flight is late and you would miss the connection at the hub - even if they could do a reroute that would spare them for paying the EC261 compensation.
This is so annoying. Only once have I succeeded – tight connection at LHR and JFK-LHR delayed, but BA agreed to put me on another JFK-LHR an hour earlier, so I made my LHR-HEL just fine. Usually it's just the "they'll help you at the next airport" mantra.
r2d2 likes this.

Last edited by ffay005; Mar 19, 2022 at 7:03 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:31 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
What do they say, you can try to position your company and brand any way you want, but ultimately it's the public that determines the real positioning in the market

r2d2, nordic, ffay005 and 11 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I know I'm probably a simpleton at times with my sense of humour (thankfully sans feces), but I keep getting the idea of going Uuno Turhapuro and ordering: "I would like to have the menu and the beverages, please."

It would be quite an interesting combination to have Joseph Perrier, Camus XO, Finlandia, Fanta, cappuccino, Sandels etc. in one go. The feeling afterwards would probably be epic.

​​​
SPBanker likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
I know I'm probably a simpleton at times with my sense of humour (thankfully sans feces), but I keep getting the idea of going Uuno Turhapuro and ordering: "I would like to have the menu and the beverages, please."

It would be quite an interesting combination to have Joseph Perrier, Camus XO, Finlandia, Fanta, cappuccino, Sandels etc. in one go. The feeling afterwards would probably be epic.

​​​
Ah! That does save time. I'll start using it.
Feeling afterwards will be normal lumo.
Flying Yazata and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by ffay005
I wonder if a train isn't more comparable than a flight+hotel as the arrival time is more similar to the original arrival time.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata

​​​
You haven´t tried that? I have on both occasions when travelling to UEFA European final tournaments in Paris and Copenhagen. We skipped the sodas and they refused to serve everthing at once. We were thirsty and managed it.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Not really AY höpöhöpö, but figured this is HEL-related so might pass. Seems like Norwegian going to start competing a bit more out of HEL to Europe, or were they operating this wide-scale already pre-covid?

https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008702294.html
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by SuloL
Not really AY höpöhöpö, but figured this is HEL-related so might pass. Seems like Norwegian going to start competing a bit more out of HEL to Europe, or were they operating this wide-scale already pre-covid?

https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000008702294.html
I think it is very much AY-related and not höpöhöpö. More competition means better prices, in general, for those of us who prefer AY. I've been looking at ARN and CPH lately, and prices seem really high on AY.

Norwegian used to have a base at HEL and lots of destinations. I just looked up their list of destinations and it feels very similar to pre-covid.
r2d2 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 5:47 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Norwegian took a lot of flak in the beginning of pandemic, but may have come out of it in a better shape. Meaning they might very well have apetite to come back to a decent point-to-point network. With many legacy airlines destroying their product while keeping prices high, Norwegian may succeed and capture a lot of leisure traffic intra-EU.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
So what is exactly the difference in passenger experience flying HEL-xxx on AY or DY for non-status pax?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.