Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
On ARN flights, a cold sandwich with beverages is served. On all other SH flights, the service includes "a hot main meal, something sweet and beverages".

Beverages include sparkling wine (Bernard-Massard Cuvée de l'Ecusson), white wine, red wine, beer, cognac, whiskey, vodka, cream liquor and soft drinks.

Iberia-operated MAD and BCN flights have Iberia service with starter, hot meal and proper dessert. On these flights, a different set of beverages is served (IB selection).

Destinations with sandwich:
ARN

Destinations with hot meal only (no starter) and something sweet:
AMS BER BGO BLL BLQ BRU BUD CPH DBV DUS FRA GOT HAM KRK MUC NAP NCE OSL PRG SPU TOS TRD VCE VIE VNO WAW ZAG

Destinations with starter, hot meal and something sweet:
AGP ALC CDG DUB EDI FCO GVA KEF LHR LIN LIS MAN MXP OPO TLV

SPML - Special meals, examples and links (incomplete list)

SFML - Seafood meal, eg Salmon lasagna, Smoked salmon. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VLML - Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal. Example 2
RVML - Raw Vegetarian meal. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VGML - Vegetarian / Vegan
FPML - Fruit platter meal
Print Wikipost

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Ksytsi
Choice in s/h J food

On Oct 5, J pax on Norra’s HEL-BRU were offered choice in food while in the air. Main course was chicken or cod. (On Sep 27 on Finnair’s AMS-HEL there was no choice yet.)

The FA told this was a new feature, for flights with over 2 hr duration. (She was aware of Norra’s practices only.)
If max 4 pax in J, then everybody will always get what they choose, implying several extra meals (or courses) on-board. Interestingly, if more pax, FAs should first ask from Plats for their choice.

A nice gesture - though my preference would rather be for one meal with decent quality ;-o

I guess there must be other confirmations of this feature?
Yes, at least on 7OCT LHR-HEL there were two choices. I just thought they were leftovers from HEL-LHR

One was mushroom pasta and was pork with "probably some mushrooms" as described by the purser. I took the pork one and the dish itself was good but again the dessert consisted of three Fazer chocolates arranged in a nice half circle by the chef.

Overall, I think this can't be described as "korkealaatuinen ateriakokoinaisuus" as they still advertise. And by the way, the purser urged me to make a formal complaint about the dessert for example as that's the only way things will change. So I ask you to every time you're not satisfied with the offerings to file a complaint.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Has anyone asked the crew for Skybistro items while sitting in J? Is there any policy towards that?
Yes, but you have to pay. Few months ago I wanted to try that new Battery energy drink they have and they would have been happy to provide it also to in front of the curtain with 3 euros. I don't know, maybe as a Plat you could get one drink from the menu free as well?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Originally Posted by Furry
Overall, I think this can't be described as "korkealaatuinen ateriakokoinaisuus" as they still advertise.
Last time I checked (about a week ago) they advertised "korkealaatuinen ateria" so not a "kokonaisuus" anymore
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Hartsa
Last time I checked (about a week ago) they advertised "korkealaatuinen ateria" so not a "kokonaisuus" anymore
So when will they drop "korkealaatuinen"?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Has anyone asked the crew for Skybistro items while sitting in J? Is there any policy towards that?
I've seen them bring some Skybistro food items, if the main hasn't been suitable for some reason.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: finnair plus platinum
Choice of main course

Yesterday was first time for me you can choose your main course. I was on Helsinki to London flight and was told since 4th October you can choose your choice from two. This time options were cod or chicken.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
FCO-HEL yesterday. Two choices for main: pork stew with mushrooms or chicken in porcini mushroom sauce. Plats (2 on that flight in J) were asked first for their choices ^ I was a bit hesitant, as I don't like mushrooms, if either of those was edible. The purser offered also choices from Skybistro menu if I didn't want take either, but I ended up trying the pork stew, which turned out very tasty and not at all mushroomy. Starter was smoked trout on veg bed with beetroot mayo, which was also very good. If they had had proper dessert, it would have been excellent dinner - for euro-J.

In the end of the flight they served also warm blueberry brioches.

Having two choices for main is really good enhancement (proving that enhancements can sometimes be positive, too!), but menu cards would really be needed, as now the purser had to tell every passenger the choices. Naturally there should also be dessert.

Service was also very good, a good flight
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Two breakfast options on HEL-BUD - one warm (probably the usual), one cold (ham &cheese) ^
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:27 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Two breakfast options on HEL-BUD - one warm (probably the usual), one cold (ham &cheese) ^
Same observation to LHR and back this week. To LHR regular warm breakfast or cold platter. To HEL "Ottaisittko kanaa vai intialaista ?". I chose chicken over cannibalism. Actually the Indian option was a veggie meal. The choice was offered first to Plat customers during the first drink round both ways.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:45 am

I remember having read that AY would sell business class meals in Y. I wonder if this is where the left-overs go. Has anyone heard such an announcement? And for what price?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by nordic
I remember having read that AY would sell business class meals in Y. I wonder if this is where the left-overs go. Has anyone heard such an announcement? And for what price?

This would be great! Purser walking the aisle shouting "Leftover fish 5€"
florens likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:31 am

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9786231 was the source (in Finnair) so it was not my imagination. I wonder in case there are no takers for Cistavoda's suggestion of 5 € they would repeat the announcement for 2 €. . In any case they that they would get huge savings because they wouldn't need to throw away food.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: AY Platinum
I'm sure offering to sell the high-quality left over desserts would create some nice extra revenue as well!
florens and cistavoda like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by nordic
https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9786231 was the source (in Finnair) so it was not my imagination.
And in the food picture the dessert is missing. At least that matches reality or has anything changed?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Originally Posted by Jainzar
And in the food picture the dessert is missing. At least that matches reality or has anything changed?
It's the small blue Fazer chocolate next to the bread.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:16 pm

Recently I had my first experience with the choices.
I was very glad to have the spicy vegetarian Indian-style (?) option. I did not recognize the appetizer. It tasted like fish but was not sure. Later I found out it was a herring mousse. I really missed the menu (the printing and fuel costs should not be that high). The dessert was three pieces of Fazer chocolate. After having had a okish meal and dessert in the lounge, it was OK. Usually I would have missed a dessert and of course a choice of two white and red wines (or even rosé in the summer season).

The cold breakfast option was rather good after having an egg dish in the lounge. A larger cup of plain yogurth and muesli was great. There were only a few slices of ham and cheese as cold-cuts. That could have been a little bit more substantial and maybe a choice of non-(ham) meat plate and a mixed plate would be ideal. Anyhow, I might order the cold breakfast in future flights as well.

On my flights the choices were different enough. As can be read in the previous posts the choices are not always well thought after. E.g. mushroom in both dishes (I wouldn't mind).

Does anyone know if the choices are the same as before but circulating more frequently or if they have introduced new dishes so that the menu could be changed as often/seldom as before. I think it would be great if one could preorder the choice of preference. On my flights everyone got their choice of preference.

It is only now that I realize that the choices were "intialaista tai kanaa (chicken)" as mentioned in a previous post.

Last edited by nordic; Oct 30, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.