Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
On ARN flights, a cold sandwich with beverages is served. On all other SH flights, the service includes "a hot main meal, something sweet and beverages".

Beverages include sparkling wine (Bernard-Massard Cuvée de l'Ecusson), white wine, red wine, beer, cognac, whiskey, vodka, cream liquor and soft drinks.

Iberia-operated MAD and BCN flights have Iberia service with starter, hot meal and proper dessert. On these flights, a different set of beverages is served (IB selection).

Destinations with sandwich:
ARN

Destinations with hot meal only (no starter) and something sweet:
AMS BER BGO BLL BLQ BRU BUD CPH DBV DUS FRA GOT HAM KRK MUC NAP NCE OSL PRG SPU TOS TRD VCE VIE VNO WAW ZAG

Destinations with starter, hot meal and something sweet:
AGP ALC CDG DUB EDI FCO GVA KEF LHR LIN LIS MAN MXP OPO TLV

SPML - Special meals, examples and links (incomplete list)

SFML - Seafood meal, eg Salmon lasagna, Smoked salmon. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VLML - Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal. Example 2
RVML - Raw Vegetarian meal. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VGML - Vegetarian / Vegan
FPML - Fruit platter meal
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Hi there,

I usually fly with BA between London and Helsinki but I have a few Finnair flights coming up this year.

I'll be sat in Business each time. Could anyone advise me what the usual catering is like? Any pics, menus?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Can't comment on the LHR route as I usually go with BA there, but just flew BUD-HEL in C (nearly an hour shorter than LHR) and the catering beats BA's hands down. 3 course meal (salad, hot main dish, dessert) + all the ethyl-based beverage you fancy and no, the champer isn't Monopole No "afternoon tea" nonsense either. You won't go hungry as with the 11 am:ish BA flight where you'd simply starve as you'd leave the lounge 10 am or so, no lunch onboard ("too early") but it'll be still after 5 pm you get anything edible landside.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
3 course meal (salad, hot main dish, dessert)
The desserts aren't what they used to be but on the LHR route you always get something decent. I also prefer AY's food to BA's. Note that while BA often gives you a choice between two mains, AY does not.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Here is a pic from HEL-PRG route, which is just over 2 hours flight time. It is a bit dated, june 2013, from the launch of the marimekko concept. But still an example.

Last edited by intuition; Jan 24, 2016 at 2:13 am
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Thanks, that's all useful feedback. Presentation looks better than BA's... So it's just the one main menu item, no choice?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: LH Senator Lifetime
European Business Meals

Originally Posted by intuition
Here is a pic from HEL-PRG route, which is just over 2 hours flight time. It is a bit dated, june 2013, from the launch of the marimekko concept. But still an example.

That picture looks much better than the meatballs and mashed potatoes that I got on my MAD-HEL flight 10 days ago: the hot meal was in its “original” black plastic package, not in porcelain. It looked and tasted quite disappointing.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Would personally definitely rate AY's J meals above BA's, especially considering it's a consistent all-day meal, no brunches or afternoon teas served after breakfast time. With that said, the lack of choice may be an important factor for some but the special meals may offer some guidelines as to what kind of meal to expect. ^

Here's a meal from last June on the evening BRU-HEL flight, it's prosciutto and pesto for starters with a lovely salmon main dish, and some pralines for dessert.

Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BRU pic is a typical AY shorthaul C meal - though the Godiva chocolates are now replaced by other desserts.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SAKKE
That picture looks much better than the meatballs and mashed potatoes that I got on my MAD-HEL flight 10 days ago: the hot meal was in its “original” black plastic package, not in porcelain. It looked and tasted quite disappointing.
I've gotten such a meal once - I thought it was trouble with catering, but looking back at the menu, I realise they do this sometimes.

This is on PRG-HEL april 2014. Menu said
  • Cold smoked duck breast with Waldorf salad
  • Cannelloni filled with herbed cream cheese, tomato basil sauce, green soybeans and romanesco
  • Godiva pralines
Very odd combination of quality starter and 7-11 micro food...

PS if qouting photo-posts, don't include the picture - takes longer time to load and will eat the photo hosting bandwidth.

PS2 Yes, the Godivas finally left the building. Missed by no one...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by paul4040
... So it's just the one main menu item, no choice?
Yes - no choice.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
PS2 Yes, the Godivas finally left the building. Missed by no one...
Hey, speak for yourself!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:34 am

Most if not all the desserts are very bad. The mass produced cakes (one has a fake Sacher name written in chocolate) are served in their plastic wraps without a plate so you really can't eat them neatly. One purser was very apolectic and said that they served their function earlier when they were offered in charter flights. So the service level has come down a lot. Recently I have taken several flights with KLM and Lufthansa. Both have a choice of a meal and Lufthansa has always (on flights of the simular length as AY to Central Europe) an appetizer, salad, the main course and a proper dessert. All served on porcellain dishes. Even the breakfasts are better, yogourth, a choise of two main courses and cold cuts. Way better than AY. KLM uses porcellain, specially designed plastic bowls and cardbiard boxes. But only AY serves champagne.

Last edited by nordic; Apr 14, 2015 at 6:27 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: LH Senator Lifetime
Originally Posted by nordic
So the service level has come down a lot. Recently I have taken several flights with KLM and Lufthansa. Both have a choice of a meal and Lufthansa has always (on flights of the simular length as AY to Central Europe) an appetizer, salad, the main course and a proper dessert. All served on porcellain dishes. Even the breakfasts are better, yogourth, a choise of two main courses and cold cuts. Way better than AY. KLM uses porcellain, specially designed plastic bowls and cardbiard boxes. But only AY serves champagne.
Yes, I do agree. It's a pity. Is this really a good place to cut costs (by a couple of €)?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by nordic
But only AY serves champagne.
Looks like AY wins!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Hey, speak for yourself!
^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.