Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Calloway
Here in Canada, if you don't at least try to speak French when visiting Quebec some people get offended. So, wherever I visit amywhere I try to know at least a few phrases like 'thank you', 'a beer please', 'how much', and most importantly, 'do you speak english' in the native language. Since I was just in transit through Helsinki, I didn't think to do this and only just realized now that I could have just googled it in the lounge (sigh...).
Indeed le Quebec is very different to here But kudos to learning to order beer and saying thanks - I think that's a great way of showing respect. People here enjoy speaking English (a bit too much??) so no worries next time!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Here in Canada, if you don't at least try to speak French when visiting Quebec some people get offended. So, wherever I visit amywhere I try to know at least a few phrases like 'thank you', 'a beer please', 'how much', and most importantly, 'do you speak english' in the native language. Since I was just in transit through Helsinki, I didn't think to do this and only just realized now that I could have just googled it in the lounge (sigh...).
Originally Posted by remymartin
Indeed le Quebec is very different to here But kudos to learning to order beer and saying thanks - I think that's a great way of showing respect. People here enjoy speaking English (a bit too much??) so no worries next time!
Not that different I'd say. If you approach a generic Finn in Helsinki in the "wrong" but still official language there may very well be a unfriendly reaction.
remymartin likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by intuition
Not that different I'd say. If you approach a generic Finn in Helsinki in the "wrong" but still official language there may very well be a unfriendly reaction.
True that, regarding both neighbour languages!
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by remymartin
Just don't try addressing the lounge staff in Swedish (works fine with GAs and FAs, though).
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
i don’t think that’s quite true. I think most quebecois are completely fine answering foreigners in English if they don’t speak French. It’s only fellow (anglophone) Canadians who may get the funny look, the same way many Flemish people in Belgium will happily help a French person in French but not so easily a Walloon in the same language. It’s more about national dynamics than language.

That said completely agree with you that trying or at least acknowledging it’s not an automatic entitlement for locals to help you in English but nice of them to do so is very important everywhere indeed.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Well, I asked about the topic in the Schengen lounge and helpful lounge attendant mentioned "May, maybe even delayed from that". Hopefully just fake news, or then exactly the info AY tries to hush as my scenario1 has occcured.
But given that no official info is out, I'm tempted to believe this source but at the same time more than happy to see it was all wrong.

edited. Remembered wrong my own scenario numbering..

Last edited by Post Scriptum; Apr 8, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
Well, I asked about the topic in the Schengen lounge and helpful lounge attendant mentioned "May, maybe even delayed from that". Hopefully just fake news, or then exactly the info AY tries to hush as my scenario2 has occcured.
But given that no official info is out, I'm tempted to believe this source but Im more than happy to see it was al wrong.
I really hope it is fake news!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
I asked yesterday in the zoo that is the non-Schengen lounge at 4pm, and the answer was “hopefully during the summer”. Should we start betting? My money is on October.
remymartin likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
I still feel the worst thing is AY's inability to communicate if some type of information is already publicly available, either actively stone the hearsayers (after all, this all can be fake news) or come out and take initiative I guess they printed out too many "Platinum Wing open on 26.3"- billboards they are too busy thinking which date to forge them so that inconvenient truth could be hidden.

Maybe time to do some LI-stalking to see is anyone from Länsimetro working for AY.
Ed Size, remymartin and FFlash like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
26.3. can easily be changed to 26.8. Or keep the date for 2020 and test the strength of loyalty.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
It's great how Mr. Manner as the CEO of the company has during his tenure of a bit over three months already found time to cut the budget of an already ongoing lounge construction project. It's also great that his predecessor apparently was smart enough to negotiate a contract that allows Finnair to completely change plans / reduce the scope of the works while the work is ongoing. And it's even better that bdsm is here to share all this with us.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Upon meeting Mr Vauramo he never struck me as lavish.
I should have asked him to saber a bottle of champers if I knew
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I had to think about the "sabre a bottle", but now I got it. Difficult to do it on board, with all the pesky security and their view on sabres (in some cases even light-sabre!)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Having lunch at non-Scengen lounge right now. One of the very nice staff members previously working at Premium side is now on duty herehere we chichatted for a while. She told the renovationr will probably still take quite alot of time due to some unforseen problems (moisture in the structures or something like that) and we are prob talking of months.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I had to think about the "sabre a bottle", but now I got it. Difficult to do it on board, with all the pesky security and their view on sabres (in some cases even light-sabre!)
Really? They do it all the time in QR F, too bad you missed it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.