Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY co-branded Diners Club card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Guillou
...However, the Finnish credit card market is yet in many ways far behind Sweden so I'm not overly optimistic about that.
That might be true in general, but not for AY co-branded cards. AY killed off their DC in Sweden years ago.

Originally Posted by tsastor
Credit card companies have to live from something. Merchant fees, I guess, are being regulated, the euro means there are less currency exchange fees and online banks take away the rest.
I was thinking along these lines too.

If we are speculating; They met these changes with "enhancements" that hit customers, like less advantageous lounge access and so on. Perhaps they also adjusted the offer towards the co-branders making some of them pull out, and thus increasing the rate of decent in number of active cards, making the business smaller and smaller each year.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum, OWE
CS confirmed that the Finnish DC cards will be terminated May 31st, 2019. Card holders will be notifiwd within a month
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Here I was planning on getting a AY DC with a Gold card for lounge access 🙄😟 now I have to come up with a new strategy 😂😂

Its really a pity the Finnish market for credit cards sucks.

I guess I need to get a job where they offer a corporate PP or trade for one in the coupon connection 😂😂

Or just fly exclusively on alliance flights 😁

We need a strong premium card in Finland that is less then 700€ a year
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Man,, I have've been only using AY plat DC for less than a year. Happy with the points it generates and it's FREE!!!. Easy payback with ebill.
That being said, the acceptance of the card... makes it okayish to go away... would need a replacement card though. but not Amex, the value to money is not convincing enough for Finland.

Any other card you guys are using or recommend for AY?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The SEB AY MC is still the second best (least bad) alternative - 2p/€ (instead of 3), no free lounge access, etc.

Plat AX is worse for AY and costs €€€ but more versatile in terms of partners (though nowhere near the UK or US partners) AX Plat International € card from the UK is tempting

Poor pickings
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Perhaps SEB kort is not willing to house them anymore, and setting up an entirely new financial entity with all the permits needed could be a too large bump in the road.
I think that is the point. If I remember correctly, they also cancelled all cards when they changed the issuer in Germany a few years ago. So if you don't have a new issuer then, well, no new cards.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
oh this credit card game will be a close .....ing koristeluraapparalli next year
So the solution is then to just fly more in higher cabins. Poor pleb me.
esledo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The SEB AY MC is still the second best (least bad) alternative - 2p/€ (instead of 3), no free lounge access, etc.

Plat AX is worse for AY and costs €€€ but more versatile in terms of partners (though nowhere near the UK or US partners) AX Plat International € card from the UK is tempting

Poor pickings
The one good thing about Finnish AX was that the points can be transferred to both AY and SK. Neither of these is a redemption partner with the US Plat card.

For AY I guess right now the only thing one can do is to get the SEB MC and wait and see if new AY cards come to the market.

Last edited by Guillou; Sep 20, 2018 at 2:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Oh ....... I've lived through AY DC for almost 3 years now and must have used it for lounge access +50 times on LCC's. This was one of the biggest Plat benefits for me.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Definitely a big advantage when flying AirAsia, Jetstar, Tiger, Norwegian... much as I try to avoid them, sometimes there are no sensible alternatives.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
The news is now the Swedish website, assume that Finnish site will follow suit. What will be interesting to see is whether there will also offers for other cards in Finland.

"Efter många år av gott samarbete med våra medlemmar, har vi tyvärr beslutat att stänga ner kortverksamheten* för Diners Club från den 31 maj 2019. Fram till dess kan du använda ditt kort precis som vanligt. Vi vill även fortsättningsvis kunna erbjuda dig som medlem ett bra och smidigt sätt att handla. Du som Diners Club medlem kommer i början av oktober att få ett brev med mer information och erbjudanden om andra kort. Om du redan nu har frågor är du välkommen att kontakta oss."
Clydez likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Oh dear. The lack of lounge access I can just about tolerate (Lumohood at HEL goes a long way... ) but those 3 x points. Damn.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AY+, EVA, SPG/Marriot
Hi all,

Damn. I hope there will be alternative with 3x points. I am sure that I have netted like over 150k points during couple years with my DC. (Used them to business upgrades)
My card expires 03/19 so probably don't get new one?

Thank you for the ride.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Plussa-man here. I think my next year's card will be then K-Plussa Mastercard. They offer right now 10€ sign-up bonus and you get 2pts per €, if you have black Plussa like me, you get 3pts per €. Then remember that black card holders can transfer plussapoints to AY with 1:2 ratio which is a sweet spot and I do it every month, on average I gain 20000pts to AY this way every month. Now, I don't know how those 3pts per € spend rack up since it only covers "basic points" in plussa-system, but I haven't even been able to discern how they calculate base points and extra points in plussasystem as they do have nowhere explained how it really works and I have asked that many times from customer service getting only goddag-yxskaft answers a la "you earn basic point per euro and then you get some extra points depending on your spend".
Anyone who really knows how plussapoints accrual works in detail, please PM me.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
Plussa-man here. I think my next year's card will be then K-Plussa Mastercard. They offer right now 10€ sign-up bonus and you get 2pts per €, if you have black Plussa like me, you get 3pts per €. Then remember that black card holders can transfer plussapoints to AY with 1:2 ratio which is a sweet spot and I do it every month, on average I gain 20000pts to AY this way every month. Now, I don't know how those 3pts per € spend rack up since it only covers "basic points" in plussa-system, but I haven't even been able to discern how they calculate base points and extra points in plussasystem as they do have nowhere explained how it really works and I have asked that many times from customer service getting only goddag-yxskaft answers a la "you earn basic point per euro and then you get some extra points depending on your spend".
Anyone who really knows how plussapoints accrual works in detail, please PM me.

I looked at this but unfortunately it seems they only count spend at actual K stores not partner spend in calculating Black status right?

If so it would not work for me other wise it would be a awesome deal 😁

The credit card markets do suck here no question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.