Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY co-branded Diners Club card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
Originally Posted by FFlash
Plussa-man here. I think my next year's card will be then K-Plussa Mastercard. They offer right now 10€ sign-up bonus and you get 2pts per €, if you have black Plussa like me, you get 3pts per €. Then remember that black card holders can transfer plussapoints to AY with 1:2 ratio which is a sweet spot and I do it every month, on average I gain 20000pts to AY this way every month. Now, I don't know how those 3pts per € spend rack up since it only covers "basic points" in plussa-system, but I haven't even been able to discern how they calculate base points and extra points in plussasystem as they do have nowhere explained how it really works and I have asked that many times from customer service getting only goddag-yxskaft answers a la "you earn basic point per euro and then you get some extra points depending on your spend".
Anyone who really knows how plussapoints accrual works in detail, please PM me.
OT:
I would never use K again.
Someone please help me to understand why they have to remove your membership if you haven't been to K stores for a while?
Doesn't cost them more to send a letter to customer instead of leaving them along? It's not like i dont like K but S is just closer to where i live and it doesnt mean I wont go to K at some point. Now for sure i would not visit K anymore.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:05 am

You guys should ask Kauppias those questions. =)
iamife and Clydez like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
You guys should ask Kauppias those questions. =)

😂😂 Just slightly off on THAT point
Helsinki Flyer and FFlash like this.

Last edited by kauppias; Sep 27, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:23 pm
odo

There are no longer pages on Finnair's website about Diners Club and Finnish Diners Club website says:
"Et voi enää hakea korttia, joten alla oleva koskee vain sinua, jolla on jo kortti.".

So I guess it is really going away. I really hope they do some other co-brand card with proper point earning rates.

Also. When clearly they already know what they are going to do, why no information to card holders yet???

Last edited by odo; Sep 27, 2018 at 11:38 pm
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by odo
So I guess it is really going away. I really hope they do some other co-brand card with proper point earning rates.

Also. When clearly they already know what they are going to do, why no information to card holders yet???
I think the first paragraph may be the answer to your second paragraph. They are cooking up an offer for some other card, but the details aren't clear yet so they are unable/unwilling to announce the termination.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
Originally Posted by odo
I really hope they do some other co-brand card with proper point earning rates.
Having the co-branded Amex back would be the only option for having as high point earning rates as the DC. Visa and Mastercard have lower provisions for the merchant and the 2 p / 1 e rate SEB offers with the Finnair Plus Mastercard for Plats is already extremely high considering that the merchant pays about 1% provision on the purchases.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:33 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
A cobrand AX would be welcome, (though I would rather have the cobrand AX with SK &#128513 especially with a 241 offer based on spend...

Perhaps a AX Platinum cobrand option...

Wishful thinking
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:49 am
odo

Originally Posted by r2d2
Having the co-branded Amex back would be the only option for having as high point earning rates as the DC. Visa and Mastercard have lower provisions for the merchant and the 2 p / 1 e rate SEB offers with the Finnair Plus Mastercard for Plats is already extremely high considering that the merchant pays about 1% provision on the purchases.
Yeah. This situation is more or less Finland -specific though. Those 1% provisions are legacy from the Luottokunta -era. Globally, Amex, Visa and Mastercard have more or less similar provisions. But obviously this does not really help as most of the usage would be in Finland for AY co-brand credit card holders.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Drawer of Cards
An AY cobranded Amex would be great. better acceptance than DC. Honestly i don't really care 1e:2p or 1e:3p(ofc i prefer 1:3), it is the yearly fee that stopping me getting it.
If they could say AY plat will get -50% annual fee i'am totally getting it.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by odo
Yeah. This situation is more or less Finland -specific though. Those 1% provisions are legacy from the Luottokunta -era. Globally, Amex, Visa and Mastercard have more or less similar provisions.
No it is not Finland-specific. It is the EU Interchange regulations and the later second Directive on Payment Services, which capped the fee at 0.2% for debit and 0.3% for credit. And I reckon some non-EU countries have imported the regulation into their national legislation as well. But obviously, it ruins the co-branded credit cards - ending the vicious circles of increasing interchange fees to provide increasing kickbacks to buyers was one of the goal of the regulation.

And as somebody already observed, the €/points ratio with the co-branded MasterCard is pretty damn good if you consider that Finnair and the card issuer only get to share 0.3% of the payment. I'm surprised it's not getting discontinued too.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Courmisch
No it is not Finland-specific. It is the EU Interchange regulations and the later second Directive on Payment Services, which capped the fee at 0.2% for debit and 0.3% for credit. And I reckon some non-EU countries have imported the regulation into their national legislation as well. But obviously, it ruins the co-branded credit cards - ending the vicious circles of increasing interchange fees to provide increasing kickbacks to buyers was one of the goal of the regulation.

And as somebody already observed, the €/points ratio with the co-branded MasterCard is pretty damn good if you consider that Finnair and the card issuer only get to share 0.3% of the payment. I'm surprised it's not getting discontinued too.
Don't forget that the card companies have another revenue stream: Interest for balance carried forward. Some credit cards charge around 20% per annum. This can easily be much more than the 0.3% commission for the actual purchase.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:35 am
odo

Originally Posted by Courmisch

Hmm. Clearly that regulation has not passed down to merchants yet? As most merchants still have to pay ~1% per visa/mc transaction and ~3-4% for Amex/DC for accepting the payment on those.

And also, this was not Finnair discontinuing their DC co-brand, but SEB pulling out of Diners Club entirely, killing all Diners Club cards in the Nordics.
manywhere likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by odo
Hmm. Clearly that regulation has not passed down to merchants yet? As most merchants still have to pay ~1% per visa/mc transaction and ~3-4% for Amex/DC for accepting the payment on those.
No, the inter-banking fee is just a part of the transaction cost. So you are right that the total cost is closer to 1% for MC/Visa.

Also bear in mind Amex and DC are not part of the EU regulation. Nevertheless they needed also to lower their fees because otherwise the difference to MC/Visa is too big.

If a merchant still has over 3% transaction cost for Amex/DC he has a bad deal with his payment provider.
And also, this was not Finnair discontinuing their DC co-brand, but SEB pulling out of Diners Club entirely, killing all Diners Club cards in the Nordics.
I would say that SEB didn't kill it, it was DC unable/unwilling to get an alternative issuer. DC Bank AG could have been an obvious issuer. They already issue the DC cards for Germany, Austria, Poland, Slovakia and Czech Republic.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:52 pm

Very odd wording on the DC Fin webpage...

https://dinersclub.fi/yksityiset/uut...lmikuuta-2019/

Seems As if business as usual in Finland? What to make of this

Edit: they are also closing all cards in Finland also they are just merging the banking entity in feb. So come May 31 DC is gone here too. No replacement ideas seem to be be coming or if they are they werent saying
Jainzar and Steve_Hun like this.

Last edited by kauppias; Oct 2, 2018 at 1:38 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:48 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by kauppias
Edit: they are also closing all cards in Finland also they are just merging the banking entity in feb. So come May 31 DC is gone here too. No replacement ideas seem to be be coming or if they are they werent saying
Just wait and see what happens. Now SEB can negotiate with themself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.