Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New AY co-branded Diners Club card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum
For what it's worth, the link to the AY MC application seems to be still working: https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/finnai...stercard#logIn
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Yeah, it's not that SEB Kort is leaving Finland, but (if the rumours are true) it's DC that does, so obviously other SEB products are not effected.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Damn, if true there goes the free lounge access for my non-OW flights...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:27 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Now it is also on the Finnish web that no Diners cards can be applied for any longer. I have not received a reply on how long the current cards will be functional and if they will be renewed. To me this seems silly business.

However, SEB will carry on Finnair Plus MC deal. I asked also if the rules are about to change but have not received yet a reply to that. With the MC, SEB has a problem of not enabling e-billing to the bank, and instead they prefer to send paper bills.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Where is the “I don’t like this”-button when I need it?
FlyingFinn likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by TTL
However, SEB will carry on Finnair Plus MC deal.
Considerably worse than the DC option and just marginally better than the Nordea/Danske/etc co-branded cards.

Well, if SEB/DC wants to force me back to AX, they might just manage to do it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
On businessclass.se the claim is that DC will leave Nordics in 2019 and cards will be terminated.

Do we dare to hope for a Finnair AX, preferrably with 2-4-1 vouchers?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Am I the only one who thinks that just pulling out of the Nordics and closing the operations is weird? I mean if you don't earn the required money for what you offer, wouldn't you try to adjust your offer (given that there is a lot of pressure on the CC fees which will unlikely go up)?

DC has operations in other countries in Europe where they are way weaker than Finland. I don't get it.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Am I the only one who thinks that just pulling out of the Nordics and closing the operations is weird? I mean if you don't earn the required money for what you offer, wouldn't you try to adjust your offer (given that there is a lot of pressure on the CC fees which will unlikely go up)?

DC has operations in other countries in Europe where they are way weaker than Finland. I don't get it.
They closed operations in UK & Ireland a few years ago. I'm wondering if they are just closing Nordic operations or withdrawing also from other regions.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jainzar

If I am reading the books right, the company earns 15 MEUR a year with one employee so they can't be too unhappy about that.

Perhaps SEB kort is not willing to house them anymore, and setting up an entirely new financial entity with all the permits needed could be a too large bump in the road. Who knows.

But they have tried to change their offer. All to the worse. And they have lost ≈30% of their turnover the last couple of years.

Last edited by intuition; Sep 19, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
And they also exited Baltics some time ago IIRC. At least DC doesn't work in those countries (anymore).

By the way.. I just got my new card today in the post. Expiry 10/19 as per the tracking period + 2 months - still no contactless chip. AY MC also arrived, it finally has a contactless chip (wohoo!)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
32 years (mostly) with Diners. It was a good ride.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Of course this happens just when I was seriously contemplating to give the AY Diners a try

What remains to be seen is whether any equal ways to earn AY points emerge compared to AY Plat DC. As mentioned earlier in the thread, we can always hope a new SAS Amex type AY co-branded card. However, the Finnish credit card market is yet in many ways far behind Sweden so I'm not overly optimistic about that.

Would also be interested to know what triggered the pull-out from the Nordics. I haven't had a DC in card in some years but I would generally say that the card has been on decline, not just in Finland, for quite some time. Perhaps the agreement term between SEB and DC was coming to an end and SEB felt that they can make the money out through their own offerings or by some other way. Who knows.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
It is interesting in retrospective that Discover Financial Services bought DC because of its international network. And then to pull out of markets over time.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Credit card companies have to live from something. Merchant fees, I guess, are being regulated, the euro means there are less currency exchange fees and online banks take away the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.