Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you think building an audience for your writing that's sufficient to support you or generate any significant income isn't a job, go and try it sometime and see how it works for you.

Nobody made the crowd on FlyerTalk the only proper recipient of any knowledge regarding the tricks of frequent flying, manufactured spending, deals and card churning. Taken to a logical extreme, nobody gets anything ever because we're all selfish and keep things to ourselves because it all needs to be mine, mine, mine, and telling secrets means it ruins the deal eventually. You're competing with me for that CX F seat, right? We can't both sit in it at the same time.

Do bloggers have a motive that's obviously financial and more that just "I'm helping people"? Duh. They're helping people and making good money for it. But try looking at this site without an ad blocker sometime and you will see that this site shills credit cards too. Your posts and page views are making the folks at Internet Brands money. Do you think that they somehow are morally superior to a blogger? I tend to not think so.
He doesn't have to brag about it and have every news agency publish his experience so much that airlines take notice and start cracking down. No other blogger does it to the extreme that this idiot goes.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
He doesn't have to brag about it and have every news agency publish his experience so much that airlines take notice and start cracking down. No other blogger does it to the extreme that this idiot goes.
My suspicion is the OP isn't just blaming that particular person, but pretty much everyone ("the bloggers").

It's probably a topic more worthy of discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...resources-723/

I tend to avoid that place (the time I got told I was probably one of Lucky's wannabe homesexual lovers sealed the deal for me at thinking it was a waste of time to post there ever again, full of bitter haters wanting to engage in personal attacks).
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Why would news agencies give this idiot the publicity that he doesn't deserve?
I have no idea...click-baiting too i suppose...who wouldn't want a First Class ticket for $108?

I was reading more about the guy and found this article on EY Residences on Mashable.

Well he wasn't very honest about his video...apparently the $108 + 60K miles is only for Etihad Apartment but he got permission of EY to visit and try the Residences...

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Apr 3, 2016 at 8:59 pm
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Let's not link or mention anything related to HWMNBN
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heyheyha
^
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:00 pm

Link removed....
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:01 pm

The Emptiest Barrel Makes The Loudest Noise
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's probably a topic more worthy of discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...resources-723/

I tend to avoid that place (the time I got told I was probably one of Lucky's wannabe homesexual lovers sealed the deal for me at thinking it was a waste of time to post there ever again, full of bitter haters wanting to engage in personal attacks).
I had no idea such a thread existed. It's not somewhere I will frequent but a quick scan revealed a lot posts speaking truth to scam. It's good to see that so many realize that the kings are half-undressed.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
I had no idea such a thread existed. It's not somewhere I will frequent but a quick scan revealed a lot posts speaking truth to scam. It's good to see that so many realize that the kings are half-undressed.
Yeah, but FT isn't exactly wearing a halo here. IB is in it to make a buck too.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I had some suspicions about points.com involvement but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info you did provide. I had thought that the commission rates varied by type of transaction and perhaps also by access means.

And those award booking services help people buy points too? Interesting how this works.
The US airlines FFPs pay about 70-100$ per 1000$ spent on points.com. So when a blogger goes out and says '40% off on xyz Airlines miles!!!' you know why
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
I think they were stuck in a situation where the backlash was far beyond what they were expecting and they needed a scapegoat and they went with travel hackers. We represent a statistical nonentity of mile users after all that I find it unlikely we were having much, if any, affect on them.
LOL. I think your comment above is beyond naive (or just plain denial) about the reach and effect these hacking blogs have.

Originally Posted by dhammer53
It's a sad day when the darling program of frequent flyers (Alaska, travel bloggers, and their muses) put the actual nail in their own coffins.
^^^^^

Originally Posted by kokonutz

If Alaska had given warning, there would have been a rush/crush of 'travel hackers' buying/churning miles and soaking up every available seat at a huge cost to Alaska. Blogs would have gone crazy with 'ACT NOW, BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!! BUY MILES! SIGN UP FOR A CARD AT MY AFFILIATE LINK!!!'
Exactly.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Meh, pigs get fat

I wonder what he does for a real living...I highly doubt with his scale it'll be sustainable unlike Lucky and a few of the heavy hitters out there.

At least Lucky creates value for his readers, HWMNBN just rips it straight off FT with click bait titles.

Thankfully there are still areas of opportunity...for now...
I concur...I'd take Lucky over HWMNBN any day of the week tbh
Have you actually been to his site? I actually checked out EDITED OUT. Not your typical word press blog. You actually input destinations and it spits out cards that are relevant, sorta like FTG. For a newbie, I think his site actually is better designed then any of the titans, which is not a high bar to start with. Someone at TPG's headquarters will try to clone it no doubt.

Site traffic is already better then almost all the mid-tier blogs out there. I wonder if TBB is out flipping out. It says in his profile that he is a "small business owner" whatever the hell that means.

Lucky's posts have too much whine in them, at least this guy isn't complaining about not receiving an extra dessert so he can take a picture. I read his actually blog posts and doesn't sound any different from the hundreds of other posts here on FT.

Its a tragic of the commons really. Bloggers pump, more newbies join, but we here at FT are all selfish and want rewards for ourselves, so we get pissed off anytime something happens. In the end, you can't stop it. Just gotta earn and burn at this point.

Last edited by YoungSoloTraveler; Apr 4, 2016 at 4:25 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Have you actually been to his site? I actually checked out EDITED OUT. Not your typical word press blog. You actually input destinations and it spits out cards that are relevant, sorta like FTG. For a newbie, I think his site actually is better designed then any of the titans, which is not a high bar to start with. Someone at TPG's headquarters will try to clone it no doubt.

Site traffic is already better then almost all the mid-tier blogs out there. I wonder if TBB is out flipping out. It says in his profile that he is a "small business owner" whatever the hell that means.

Lucky's posts have too much whine in them, at least this guy isn't complaining about not receiving an extra dessert so he can take a picture. I read his actually blog posts and doesn't sound any different from the hundreds of other posts here on FT.

Its a tragic of the commons really. Bloggers pump, more newbies join, but we here at FT are all selfish and want rewards for ourselves, so we get pissed off anytime something happens. In the end, you can't stop it. Just gotta earn and burn at this point.
Seriously, someone confirm who HWMNBN is (and don't say Voldemort ) just so I place the blame correctly! Was it (initials) SH??
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The US airlines FFPs pay about 70-100$ per 1000$ spent on points.com. So when a blogger goes out and says '40% off on xyz Airlines miles!!!' you know why
Bloggers get paid to promote mileage sales through points.com?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Bloggers get paid to promote mileage sales through points.com?
Of course...

http://www.flexoffers.com/affiliate-...liate-program/

Points.com Affiliate Program Benefits:
• Commissionable Miles – Earn commissions when customers join or complete a swap transaction of their miles or points into another program on Points.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.