Reload this Page >

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Take a good look at the links to the 40% off AS offer for details: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...s-a-good-deal/
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
The only way to stop the bloggers from wrecking everything is to hit them where they're motivated.

There's only one thing that the bloggers care about: making money. Period. They make money off idiots who click their links to open new credit cards.

Their motivation is very simple, and anyone who denies it is either dishonest, delusional, or clueless (or some combination).

The banks' recent moves that drastically limit credit card churning will have some impact - have you not noticed how recently the bloggers have shifted to fill space with all kinds of other content? And every time a program massively devalues its program also makes it harder for the bloggers to sell their lies to clueless noobs who think they can take their family on vacation to a 5-star resort in Tahiti just by opening a few cards and visiting Walmart every week. So all the wreckage of the past year (including Alaska's perfectly predictable gutting of this part of their program) does have a silver-lining: because that helps make it harder for the bloggers to make a fat living by exploiting suckers.

As the banks and airlines all continue to tighten the screws (and they will, more and more, as long as there's an army of bloggers whose lives depend on feeding off of driving masses through every existing exploit), this will help put some of the less dedicated (less greedy) bloggers out of business. But the worst abusers will hold on to the bitter end.

The only way you can help stop them from wrecking every FF program is to not use their affiliate links. It's all they care about.
Believe it or not, many bloggers actually do enjoy helping people.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Believe it or not, many bloggers actually do enjoy helping people.
True. And you are definitely different than "the other guys." But amazing how just a few/many can ruin and put such a black eye on good bloggers.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:57 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by AspiringWorldTraveler
SWas it (initials) SH??
Yes, Said Hubris blogger
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: All of Them
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
The only way to stop the bloggers from wrecking everything is to hit them where they're motivated.

There's only one thing that the bloggers care about: making money. Period. They make money off idiots who click their links to open new credit cards.

Their motivation is very simple, and anyone who denies it is either dishonest, delusional, or clueless (or some combination).
There's only one thing the airlines and credit cards care about: making money. They make money off idiots who check 4 bags, pay for premium economy seats or carry a $10,000 balance with a 23% interest rate.

Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Take a good look at the links to the 40% off AS offer for details: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...s-a-good-deal/
Wow. I had no idea. 10% commission could make for a nice paycheck...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
LOL. I think your comment above is beyond naive (or just plain denial) about the reach and effect these hacking blogs have.
Agree. EK flies what, 200 F seats a day US to DXB? How many of those should be going to AS mileage plan users, and how many people were bloggers pimping it to? A lot more than could ever possibly book seats in a year.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes, Said Hubris blogger
wow, clearly I read these before my morning coffee so missed the hints. Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by AspiringWorldTraveler
wow, clearly I read these before my morning coffee so missed the hints. Thanks!
Said Hubris- can you be as shameless as you were in your shower video and come forward? You ....
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whlinder
Agree. EK flies what, 200 F seats a day US to DXB? How many of those should be going to AS mileage plan users, and how many people were bloggers pimping it to? A lot more than could ever possibly book seats in a year.
I have substantial doubts that anywhere close to a majority of the miles/points blog readers are individually acquiring enough miles fast enough to consume all of that space.

And if EK had concerns about AS MileagePlan readers taking up too much EK F seats, they can do what they can do: reduce the amount of space it makes available to AS. POS throttling means aren't exactly unheard of in these games of using miles from one carrier for flights on another carrier.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 6, 2016 at 1:12 pm
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have substantial doubts that anywhere close to a majority of the miles/points blog readers are individually acquiring enough miles fast enough to consume all of that space.

And if EK had concerns about AS MileagePlan readers taking up too much EK F seats, they can do what they can do: reduce the amount of space it makes available to AS. POS throttling aren't exactly unheard of in these games of using miles from one carrier for flights on another carrier.
But does it matter whether AS plan participants use all that space or only some of it? If EK thought they used more than they should, isn't that enough for them to shut it down to protect the integrity of the program for their own members and the paying pax?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
My favorite part of the comments:

"Had to explain how miles benefit the airline and their partners. But even in doing so, realized… What a good time to stockpile AS miles.

It won’t last forever, folks."
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I had some suspicions about points.com involvement but wasn't sure. Thanks for the info you did provide. I had thought that the commission rates varied by type of transaction and perhaps also by access means.

And those award booking services help people buy points too? Interesting how this works.
It would explain why OMAAT seemed downright livid over AS increasing the mileage requirement for Emirates. I would imagine he had to deal with some upset clients from his award booking service who might have bought miles during this last sale specifically for him to book their awards.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Not only that, I can imagine that some mileage brokers offering cheap F tickets on EK to unsuspecting clients will have a problem.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by luluv
It would explain why OMAAT seemed downright livid over AS increasing the mileage requirement for Emirates. I would imagine he had to deal with some upset clients from his award booking service who might have bought miles during this last sale specifically for him to book their awards.
Ooooh. Hadn't thought of this. No wonder Gary keeps calling no-notice changes 'the worst thing a program could do ever' (despite the fact that taking away 'lifetime' benefits is FAR worse): It leaves booking services points arbitrage positions exposed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.