Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Not only that, I can imagine that some mileage brokers offering cheap F tickets on EK to unsuspecting clients will have a problem.
Yup, especially if they sold these as "flexible" tickets, with ability to make multiple changes
Old Apr 9, 2016, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Justin Ross Lee... now theres a class act.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:50 pm
brg

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
If everything was kept under control, used in moderation, we would still be having all the perks and options. Go on an amazing trip 3 times a year and enjoy "free" travel. But it wasn't enough, the real goal suddenly was to fly F around the world 5 times in one month and get free caviar
Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:57 pm
brg

Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
I guess what I don't understand is this: they only upped the award chart for EK. Where are the people outraged about this going that can't be re-routed on CX or AA in F?
As I see it, CX awards can not be booked on Alaska.com
Only EK awards.
Very easy to buy miles 40k at a time, repeatedly and book in 1 minute.
So if they had given even 1 week notice, the website would have crashed with all the "hackers" exploiting the time left to buy and book EK F class for 2000$ to Hong Kong or JNB or Singapore.
I do not think the AA miles on EY F will last very long and I expect another devaluation soon from AA for EY.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
AS could also have temporarily throttled miles purchases for the period of the announcement (perhaps limiting them to 40k/account for the period).

On the one hand I appreciate the idea of being able to "walk in" and buy an award; on the other hand, (1) that does seem to defeat the point of the program; and (2) it does make "sweet spots" open to being exploited (e.g. the EK situation). Longer term I think there probably needs to be a tamp-down on this aspect of the program (e.g. perhaps either requiring at least basic status to do the unlimited buying or making "bought points" a separate pool and requiring at least X "earned points" per award).

Edit: To be clear, I don't doubt that this was an aspect of why they did what they did. My guess, however, is that either (1) they got some hard blowback from EK at some point or (2) more likely they got "too clever by half" on the change and when it blew up in their face they needed a scapegoat (as suggested in several places). Oops.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Apr 12, 2016 at 7:49 am
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Edit: To be clear, I don't doubt that this was an aspect of why they did what they did. My guess, however, is that either (1) they got some hard blowback from EK at some point or (2) more likely they got "too clever by half" on the change and when it blew up in their face they needed a scapegoat (as suggested in several places). Oops.
I would bet heavily on 1 over 2.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbm12
I would bet heavily on 1 over 2.
Hard blowback from EK could have been done by EK throttling award space availability to limit what AS could get, even cutting AS off from first class award space on EK flights. But point of sale type games is not what EK did to AS. Hard blowback? Not so hard on AS.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hard blowback from EK could have been done by EK throttling award space availability to limit what AS could get, even cutting AS off from first class award space on EK flights. But point of sale type games is not what EK did to AS. Hard blowback? Not so hard on AS.
AS was sick of being 'hacked' and 'hackers' bragging about how they were 'hacking' AS and encouraging others to 'hack' AS.

So they shut it down.

Actions have consequences. Words matter.

Don't blame the victim who was being 'hacked.' Blame the 'hackers.'
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
AS was sick of being 'hacked' and 'hackers' bragging about how they were 'hacking' AS and encouraging others to 'hack' AS.

So they shut it down.

Like ^
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
You mean bloggers like this?

https://twitter.com/FlyerTalkerinA2/...49681917325313
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpapadop
That is NOT Jennifer Aniston!

Who can blame EK for wanting to protect the integrity of their product?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:34 am

So they shut it down.

I still don't think AS is the victim. If they hadn't been pushing buy-unlimited-miles sales for the last couple of years, the victim version would look a lot better. Surely they are in part responsible for this. Like you said, actions (routinely selling miles at low-ish prices) have consequences (people redeeming them for lucrative routes)
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I still don't think AS is the victim. If they hadn't been pushing buy-unlimited-miles sales for the last couple of years, the victim version would look a lot better. Surely they are in part responsible for this. Like you said, actions (routinely selling miles at low-ish prices) have consequences (people redeeming them for lucrative routes)
Sure, they operated their program in a way that resulted in unintended consequences.

But I am hoping that this action will be a lesson against hyper-aggressive language and actions of many 'hackers.' Not that anyone who makes money from 'hacking' by writing blogs, hosting seminars, etc. is going to heed that lesson.

Alas.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

So they shut it down.

AS is just a victim? No.

The "hackers" aren't responsible for AS's PR games.

Nor are the "hackers" really hackers unless they were violating the rules as set out by AS.

AS ought to get the blame AS deserves too.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AS is just a victim? No.

The "hackers" aren't responsible for AS's PR games.

Nor are the "hackers" really hackers unless they were violating the rules as set out by AS.

AS ought to get the blame AS deserves too.
That's why I keep putting 'hackers' in quotes. It's as BS of a self-anointed title as, say, 'thought leader.' @:-)

It's also antagonistic and counter-productive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.