Search

Alaska confirms: 'travel hackers' killed their Emirates Offerings

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz
That's why I keep putting 'hackers' in quotes. It's as BS of a self-anointed title as, say, 'thought leader.' @:-)

It's also antagonistic and counter-productive.
What's the opposite of "thought leader"?

It seems as if the AS "thought leaders" also buy into (and sell) some anti-consumer lines repeatedly seen on FT. It seems like these "thought leaders" too find their food on FT.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thought trailer?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:25 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by GUWonder

It seems as if the AS "thought leaders" also buy into (and sell) some anti-consumer lines repeatedly seen on FT. It seems like these "thought leaders" too find their food on FT.
I'm quite certain that all of the domestics lurk on FT. Heck, some AS employees are long-time posters!!!

That's why being antagonistic about taking advantage of loopholes and good deals is such a terrible idea.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EP
Let's face it, this was the perfect storm of things coming together...

1. The top 3 hackers, thought leaders, lifestyle bloggers driving increased awareness of EK F and the value one could get by redeeming on AS
2. Constant, over the top pushing of "buy AS miles and fly in EK F"
3. Increased award booking for F coming through to EK
4. AS having a contract with AS that is significantly different than say UA, AA, DL with their partners in that they (EK) have in input into assigned mileage value as compared to say EY who has had to resort to making bookings harder on AA since AA announced their devaluation late last year. Different contracts. Different leverage.
4. Bloggers pushing people to credit their AA and other airline flying to AS -- which AS get revenue for.

It all formed the perfect storm.

The bloggers can protest. But it is what it is. the victim here is the true AS flying customer that has seen the goal
Post moved way out for an EK reward.

I fully expect that CX will be next. I just don't know the terms of their contract with AS. Then again, CX has gotten much better at managing partner award space.

Note: I do smile everytime I think about Lucky not being able to commute to DXB on EK.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Let's face it, this was the perfect storm of things coming together...

1. The top 3 hackers, thought leaders, lifestyle bloggers driving increased awareness of EK F and the value one could get by redeeming on AS
2. Constant, over the top pushing of "buy AS miles and fly in EK F"
3. Increased award booking for F coming through to EK
4. AS having a contract with AS that is significantly different than say UA, AA, DL with their partners in that they (EK) have in input into assigned mileage value as compared to say EY who has had to resort to making bookings harder on AA since AA announced their devaluation late last year. Different contracts. Different leverage.
4. Bloggers pushing people to credit their AA and other airline flying to AS -- which AS get revenue for.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but many of the bloggers also have businesses booking award trips. They would search for available EK award space with Alaska Miles, have their clients purchase said miles, then book the trip for them for a $100-200 per ticket. Some of these bloggers then gloated about how they were able to talk Alaska CSR's to allow them to book a few tickets at the old prices... to further advertise their "effective" award booking services.

Price mistakes are short lived (though they drive a lot of traffic to the blogs). Discounted first class tickets via purchased miles was another way to capture traffic for their page and then monetize the scheme through their side businesses. When people throw out that people are just haters... I wish they saw that bloggers are willing to exploit any method in order to drive traffic or to make a buck. Bloggers could care less about how long a deal actually lasts, they are only concerned about what the deal can get them financially from their readers (ad revenue, increased credit card sign ups, and increased award booking services).
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but many of the bloggers also have businesses booking award trips. They would search for available EK award space with Alaska Miles, have their clients purchase said miles, then book the trip for them for a $100-200 per ticket. Some of these bloggers then gloated about how they were able to talk Alaska CSR's to allow them to book a few tickets at the old prices... to further advertise their "effective" award booking services.

Price mistakes are short lived (though they drive a lot of traffic to the blogs). Discounted first class tickets via purchased miles was another way to capture traffic for their page and then monetize the scheme through their side businesses. When people throw out that people are just haters... I wish they saw that bloggers are willing to exploit any method in order to drive traffic or to make a buck. Bloggers could care less about how long a deal actually lasts, they are only concerned about what the deal can get them financially from their readers (ad revenue, increased credit card sign ups, and increased award booking services).
Spot on!!!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:43 pm

Spot on!!!
I forgot to add that those miles that they purchase for their clients are purchased w/ a business card that earn miles/points which helps the blogger pay for award travel that they document to then push credit cards.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The bloggers can protest. But it is what it is. the victim here is the true AS flying customer that has seen the goal
Post moved way out for an EK reward.
ayup
Old Apr 15, 2016, 12:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I forgot to add that those miles that they purchase for their clients are purchased w/ a business card that earn miles/points which helps the blogger pay for award travel that they document to then push credit cards.
And bloggers get affiliate commission on points purchases via their links
Old Apr 16, 2016, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
This all could have been avoided, and should be pushed back, if AS limits the redemptions to those with elite status, or higher end status, so it's not just hackers and people buying credit cards with the intention of abusing an award.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
if AS limits the redemptions to those with elite status, or higher end status, so it's not just hackers and people buying credit cards with the intention of abusing an award.
But if AS is losing money on each transaction then limiting them means they're still losing money on each transaction. That's bad for business, especially when this really won't otherwise affect the value of the program in the long run.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:27 am

Here is something interesting... Wonder why Emirates would promote this video. When I go to the Emirates twitter account I don't see this tweet.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
TPG: You just need to play the credit card game correctly - and I have many links to help you!
Yes, but why would Emirates promote that you can obtain their first class product for under $100? Seemed like this was part of the reason they put pressure on Alaska because they were diluting their product.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I go to the Emirates twitter account I don't see this tweet.
https://twitter.com/emirates/status/721775068871729152

You have to switch to "Tweets & Replies" to get there. It is preceded in the timeline (5 days!) by https://twitter.com/emirates/status/720092174772281344 saying "Awesome Video!"

As for why it is shared, it features the product. And the vast majority of folks don't play that game to get the seats. Even if they do EK is fully paid by AS for the seats. And at the new rates, now, which is pretty nice for EK, I assume.

Emirates absolutely wants people using the product and flying in it however those passengers book the seats. But it also wants to be paid for said bookings.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I personally don't care much for EK F, or, as a matter of fact, any F. But it is sad to see this points/miles hobby slowly dying. I just hope they don't pull the plug on CX too soon. It is also a irritating to see bloggers exploiting not only AS, but all aspects of the miles hobby. Everyone is affected but the bloggers are not as much since they receive revenue from all the card sign up links, publicity, ad, etc.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 19, 2016 at 9:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.