Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

The points guy has an app (iOS, Android) called "TPG To Go", that supposedly tracks your credit card promo spending, expiration dates, etc and gives info as to which card is best to use in a given situation to maximize point/promotion value. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sguy.tpg&hl=en

That sounds potentially useful, supposedly it does not require one providing any credit card numbers, and the Android version got good reviews from a handful of people, but I am skeptical for the following reasons:

1. Last I checked only 26 people reviewed it- thus I consider reviews meaningless.

2. It requires an email address/password to sign in, and it is supported by ads from affiliates. Thus I am concerned about potential invasiveness and spamming via phone and email.

3. I started to sign up and then changed my mind when I got to the "disclaimer" and read about the ad support. For some bizarre reason it was impossible to stop the app at that point by any means including turning my phone off and back on. I had to uninstall the app to stop it.

Do any users have any experience with this app and care to comment on it regarding safety, usefulness, spamming, etc? Are there others that provide the same kind of function that are better?

Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You know that TPG is owned by Bankrate, the credit card affiliate people?

It is VERY unlikely that you will ever be offered any cards which do not pay a big fee to Bankrate. Ever seen the IHG credit card reviewed on a blog? Thought not.

I also suggest it is unlikely that, given a high non-affiliate bonus and a lower affiliate bonus on a card, you would be offered the link for the higher bonus.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:16 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Raffles
Source?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:17 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Source?
Records here and here show that the trademark "THE POINTS GUY", once owned by Brian Kelly, is now the property of Bankrate, Inc.

Knowing that doesn't tell us much about the business(-es) behind thepointsguy.com, however, or the arrangements between Mr Kelly and Bankrate. So unless Raffles has knowledge beyond what is in the public domain he may have misspoken.

Last edited by IMH; Nov 24, 2014 at 2:11 pm Reason: corrected punctuation and made it clearer that there are two links
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles

It is VERY unlikely that you will ever be offered any cards which do not pay a big fee to Bankrate. Ever seen the IHG credit card reviewed on a blog? Thought not.

I also suggest it is unlikely that, given a high non-affiliate bonus and a lower affiliate bonus on a card, you would be offered the link for the higher bonus.
That would not be an issue, Raffles, since I can't imagine ordering cards from them. My main interest would be to track promos, spending, expirations, get quick info on best card to use in a particular situation, and perhaps learn about new deals. It would be an additional source, not a sole source. This is my primary source, and I really like it, though I find it very hard, and sometimes nearly impossible, to navigate at times (eg hundreds of pages of responses to posts). That said, no, I don't think I have seen IHG reviewed in a blog. Interesting.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:44 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Can't believe he sold it i wonder what kind of deal he got on it
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Can't believe he sold it i wonder what kind of deal he got on it
Sold it in 2012. Shocked I didn't know this. [Just posted a Skift article a thread or two above this one.]
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:41 pm

TPG is Owned by BankRate???

Someone on the Amex forum mentioned the TPG was actually owned by BANKRATE INC. A quick internet searched revealed the following;

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for THE POINTS GUY by BANKRATE, INC., NORTH PALM BEACH, FL 33408. The USPTO has given the THE POINTS GUY trademark serial number of 85351809. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED. The correspondent listed for THE POINTS GUY is Carl J. Spagnuolo of McHale & Slavin, P.A., 2855 PGA Boulevard, Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410-2910 . The THE POINTS GUY trademark is filed in the category of Computer & Software Products & Electrical & Scientific Products , Advertising, Business & Retail Services , Transportation & Storage Services . The description provided to the USPTO for THE POINTS GUY is Promoting the goods and services of others by providing a website featuring price-comparison information and discount information

I had always thought most bloggers were independent operators. So, is corporate ownership common in the blogging world? What other blogs are actually owned by corporations?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Most bloggers that sell ads have a LLC or other corporate entity to cover liability. TPG and FTG are one of the few who sold their shop entirely.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:44 am
IMH

Originally Posted by oliver2002
TPG [...] sold their shop entirely.
Do you have a source for this?

We've seen evidence for ownership of the trademark having been transferred. I'm not aware of any evidence that a business was "sold" or about any agreements between Mr Kelly and Bankrate (e.g. who provides what services for/to whom; who licenses what from whom).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by IMH

We've seen evidence for ownership of the trademark having been transferred. I'm not aware of any evidence that a business was "sold" or about any agreements between Mr Kelly and Bankrate (e.g. who provides what services for/to whom; who licenses what from whom).
Check out the Skift article that is the subject of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...l-writers.html
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IMH
It's all over the place....
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:15 am
IMH

Originally Posted by pricesquire
It's all over the place....
Where, for example? I've seen the claim repeated in several places but no evidence of an outright sale (which is what oliver2002's "sold the shop entirely" would require).

Originally Posted by st1575
Check out the Skift article [...]
Not many facts there, unfortunately. It claims that "Mr. Kelly sold The Points Guy" but doesn't tell us what "The Points Guy" denotes: the trademark (which we already knew had been sold) or a business entity?

Mr Kelly is quoted as saying that he still has "a vested ownership interest in TPG". That's rather vague and could mean any number of things -- but probably a little less than the "entire shop".
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by IMH

Only hearsay from HOM staffer this summer shortly after the last BAcon. My take is he is stil running the show, but the shop is owned by someone else.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:05 am
IMH

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Only hearsay [...].
Thanks for the clarification. I also think it's likely that the business was sold, but we should not report that speculation as fact.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.