Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Jason Steele confirmed it in TBB comments.
I'm sure Brian still gets paid based on performance.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:39 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Jason Steele confirmed it in TBB comments.
Not quite.

On this page Mr Steele commented: 'Common knowledge. Brian has been on TV for years where the screen shows "The Points Guy presented by Bankrate"'. That only confirmed ownership of the trademark (which is a matter of public record and didn't require confirmation).
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:43 am
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Never knew this - Good for him.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:26 pm

TPG: United should take one for the team, it's karma

Do Airlines Have to Honor Mistake Fares?

YouTube Link

I am curious what the potential is for bloggers to get sued for claiming price mistakes are actually flight "deals"?

Promoting the mistakes as deals and then saying that airline companies make billions of dollars... and personally they have been screwed by the airline (even though they give them my business to maintain top loyalty status...), so it is okay for them to screw them in return. Then attempting (poorly) to read legal jargon as if they are one to be giving legal advice.

"I'm not going to sue, but..."

I get the impression that TPG is trying to persuade his readers to get passionate about this "cause" and sue an airline over a "deal". Pretty pathetic!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Falsified billing addresses could invite a vindictive UA to seek fraud charges from a willing federal prosecutor...

Let it go
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
On that score, the most intelligent post I've seen on this topic was the one yesterday by Mommy Points.

And though I haven't researched the issue specifically, yes, lying to obtain services most definitely and assuredly raises a fraud issue both under federal and under most state laws, at least the ones I've looked at. Given the context, my very offhand guess would be that state-law civil (rather than criminal) fraud would be the practical concern. I'm frankly shocked at all those folks -- other than Mommy Points -- who glossed over all that in their posts yesterday.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Falsified billing addresses could invite a vindictive UA to seek fraud charges from a willing federal prosecutor...

Let it go
^

I've taken part in mistake fares before and will again. I look at it as a fun gamble and if it ends up being honored, cool...if not, oh well - on to the next deal.

I wouldn't partake if it meant I had to enter false information in order to book the ticket. Even if it wasn't something that would expose me to legal action, I just don't think it's right...and is bad karma.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:01 pm

Looks like thepointsguy.com has been offline the whole night..... Karma??
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Seth/Wandering Aramean had a thoughtful post on this as well. ^^

I didn't partake -- was off-line until well after it had been pulled but reading the need to "fudge" the billing address gave immediate thought to: "what a great way for UA to shut down accounts".
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:26 pm

He said in his video that he's not going to sue and not lose sleep over this and states to his readers that they should do the same, but then the following day he writes:

"It may be some time before this all gets sorted out, but in the meantime, there’s action you can take now that will help inform the DOT and add weight to the complaints against United. It took me just 4 minutes to file a DOT complaint thanks to the info in this FlyerTalk thread, which offers the following tips:"

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/unit...ations-update/
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
He said in his video that he's not going to sue and not lose sleep over this and states to his readers that they should do the same, but then the following day he writes:

"It may be some time before this all gets sorted out, but in the meantime, there’s action you can take now that will help inform the DOT and add weight to the complaints against United. It took me just 4 minutes to file a DOT complaint thanks to the info in this FlyerTalk thread, which offers the following tips:"

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/02/unit...ations-update/

Wow... What a [redacted]

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 16, 2015 at 3:59 am Reason: abbreviations of expletives are still expletives
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:29 pm

We'll just turn this thread into Discussion on the UA currency conversion ticketing issue and subsequent blogger reaction.

TPG was interviewed on Fox:
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/40492...#sp=show-clips

The initial question was essentially "They posted tickets, London to Australia in First Class, tickets that usually go for thousands of dollars, and it was up there for 50 bucks? Is that right?"

TPG: Exactly. (and then continued in to currency issue)

No mention of how it had to bet set up (Danish currency) in order to get the fare. And United most certainly did not just post tickets (or fares) for $50. A specific scenario screwed up the final ticket price calculation.

Which was detailed by:
Originally Posted by 24.05.2004
Seth/Wandering Aramean had a thoughtful post on this as well. ^^
http://blog.wandr.me/2015/02/methinks-i-am-a-hypocrite/

Agree, this is a good post and different than the "They better honor it, I have a ticket! Write the DOT!" echo chamber.

But let's try and make a good blog better:
How it happened

The early reports of this mistake fare showed up with screenshots of ITA search results. Those results had the mispriced fares across multiple airlines and multiple routes. Once I got a ticket issued I reviewed the receipt online and checked the fare construction. The details there look to be correct for the filed fare.

/FC LON LH X/FRA M 981.90J77 UA X/DEN UA DFW M 10517.68F77OW NUC 11499.58 END ROE 0.638555

Combine that with United blaming a vendor and my guess is that ITA is at least part of the cause of the issues.
This is an incorrect interpretation of the Fare Construction. There are clearly 2 fares here:
LON-FRA J77 for 981.90 NUC
FRA-DFW F77OW for 10517.68 NUC

LON-FRA J77 LH is filed at 627 GBP
FRA-DFW F77OW UA is filed at 8526 EUR

Converting the GBP to NUC is 627 / 0.638555 = 981.90
Converting the EUR to NUC is 8526 / EURtoNUC rate = 10517.68, which puts the EUR to NUC rate around .81, which seems a bit low but was the rate back in December.

Either way, the conclusion is correct that the fare construction supports properly filed fares.

http://blog.wandr.me/2015/02/methink...#comment-48941
But, through all of this, it is important to remember that the fare was filed in NUCs so that’s where the conversion starts, not in GBP or DKK.
This is not true and I am not sure where it came from. The fares are filed in real currency (mentioned above) and then converted to NUCs during the fare construction process.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
We'll just turn this thread into Discussion on the UA currency conversion ticketing issue and subsequent blogger reaction.

TPG was interviewed on Fox:
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/40492...#sp=show-clips
[redacted]

He glossed over the fact that he filed a DOT complaint. I know that there has been a lawsuit who writes about hidden city ticketing and things of that nature.. any chance TPG could get sued for detailing how to book mistake fares and then complain to the DOT when they get canceled? Seems like he has a bigger audience than the other blogger that got sued.

Last edited by oliver2002; Feb 16, 2015 at 3:58 am Reason: redacted personal comments
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by whlinder
This is not true and I am not sure where it came from. The fares are filed in real currency (mentioned above) and then converted to NUCs during the fare construction process.
My understanding is that fares are filed in NUCs and converted dynamically to show correctly across various Points of Sale. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it was explained to me previously.

And I never claimed there was only a single fare in my booked itinerary. Clearly there are two and the combined total price is 11499.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
My understanding is that fares are filed in NUCs and converted dynamically to show correctly across various Points of Sale. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it was explained to me previously.
Whoever explained it to you was wrong, or at a minimum have a different interpretation of what "filed fare" means.

Last edited by whlinder; Feb 15, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.