Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:10 pm

you would too if you were in his shoes
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Adam1222
You can't trust a review of a comped flight with special service as objective. From here on out, any review of QR should be taken with a grain of salt (similar to his comments on SPG properties) because of the clear conflict of interest.

In most journalistic or review - based professions, there is a firm standard that you don't accept freebies from those you are reporting on.
Why not? Film critics see free movies and I trust their reviews. I don't think it's a hard and fast rule that I can't trust someone who took a comped flight.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
A movie ticket is a lot cheaper than a free flight, and a movie critic isn't selling a "You can have this life too." When movie critics have accepted trips etc, they have come under significant criticism. See, e.g., the HFPA award of a golden globe to Pia Zadora.

On the other hand, would you trust a Judge who's dinner tab was paid for by one of the parties appearing before it?

A big issue is that the movie critic is seeing the same movie as anyone else would, even if he(or his employer) didn't pay $10. When QR or SPG books a special trip for a blogger, it is not the same experience Joe Q. Public would have.

You're of course free to think that TPG and other bloggers provide honest reviews of the companies that fly them around the world for free. But at the least, disclosure is important so a reader can consider the source if they mistakenly went to his blog seeking honest advice.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I don't have a (big) problem with bloggers taking a free flight.

But don't make a big deal about it lying and saying you don't take free flights when you clearly do.

Kinda like FNC claiming to be 'fair and balanced.'

It's a lie.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz

But don't make a big deal about it lying and saying you don't take free flights when you clearly do.
I like this mantra.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Kinda like FNC claiming to be 'fair and balanced.'

It's a lie.
Exactly. And the BS about "it's not a free flight cuz we're giving away some miles to a reader" is just plain silly.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I wouldn't get too hung up on this.

A bigger issue is publications who are afraid to say anything bad about their advertisers. That is a far bigger conflict of interest especially as the relationship is hidden - you never see a disclosure saying 'we paid for this flight but the airline represents 20 per cent of our advertising income'.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Genius move by TPG editor to pull off a Ben Schlappig and over hype his "video" of his "terrifying" aborted landing. Got a few mainstream news sites to pick it up.

I mean really? I almost fell asleep waiting for something actually interesting to show up.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I wouldn't get too hung up on this.
I agree.

It's one thing to request and accept a free flight.

It's entirely different in that TPG was invited to be on that flight. TPG likely had to pay for it's return flight, lodging and other expenses. I think TPG was fair in his assessment of the aborted takeoff and the flight experience.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I can see a nervous passenger getting spooked, but for a seasoned traveler and writer/reviewer to get that freaked out about an aborted takeoff roll, and want to get off of the plane, is odd.
My buddy works for the SF Giants and travels with the team. Obviously he travels ALOT via charter. Every takeoff/landing, he's praying the rosary.

More odd to me is the crew's unawareness of the situation, that they needed a second to figure what happened.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
My buddy works for the SF Giants and travels with the team. Obviously he travels ALOT via charter. Every takeoff/landing, he's praying the rosary.

More odd to me is the crew's unawareness of the situation, that they needed a second to figure what happened.
Sure but your buddy puts up with flying as a necessary evil in order to perform his job. This TPG writer's job is to fly and write about it. One would think such a person wouldn't be so skittish. It wouldn't have done TPG much good if their man-on-the-scene had bailed and never had a trip report on their "exclusive access".

I agree on the crew's apparent behavior too.

As a veteran of one aborted take-off and maybe a half dozen go-arounds on landings, I gotta say: Jeez, what a wuss. And what's with all his 'mom' stuff.

Millennials are so freaking weird.
I don't know, my mom would never be monitoring my Twitter account (not that I even use the one I do have).

My last aborted takeoff was due to a tire blowout on a CR2.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:03 am

Just the fact that they probably recognize the most prolific bloggers, raises the question of service levels and if what the blogger gets is what Barb Businesswoman would get.

Years ago there was a well known radio restaurant reviewer in LA (Elmer Dills for those of you old folks with a long memory). One thing he mentioned was that after he visited a restaurant, he always had at least one other couple visit to ensure that the service the well-known Mr. Dills received was what the 'ordinary' customers received.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I believe you have unreasonable expectations in this context.

Providing an explanation to passengers is very, very, very low on the list of priorities.
Definitely.^

Some of the discussion upthread seems to imply the crew took an inordinate amount of time to provide any information in this TPG post. Perhaps I missed it, but I don't see that the TPG author states how long it took to provide any communication to the passengers. However I don't get the impression that it was an inordinate amount of time...maybe a few minutes, which seems reasonable.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 21 QR A350 T/O abort posts have been moved here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...pg-thread.html

Regards Oliver2002
Mod EM&PR
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:06 pm

Just watched TPG TV trailer, and enjoyed it...the visual content is far better than his website. Looking forward to see what he brings. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.