Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by JetAway
I don't think we have the whole/true story on the Centurion Card Caper. His "explanation" post sounds very defensive (and lame). He seems to be throwing a lot of money around right now, like someone who won the lottery or hit it big in Vegas. Easy come, easy go, if he isn't careful.
It sounds 100% true to me. Because of the tax write off, the maths would even make sense for me and Brian has 13x more monthly unique visitors.

However, smart people find a friend with Centurion and pay them the fee (UK £500) to issue them a supplementary card which they promise not to use. Voila, all the benefits and none of the fee.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
It sounds 100% true to me. Because of the tax write off, the maths would even make sense for me and Brian has 13x more monthly unique visitors.

However, smart people find a friend with Centurion and pay them the fee (UK £500) to issue them a supplementary card which they promise not to use. Voila, all the benefits and none of the fee.
In a current post on the topic Gary at VFTW raises the possibility, based on readers' comments, that "some" Centurion cardholders do not pay the retail price (or get it for free).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Houses the CSP can buy...

TPG's summer home:

http://www.halcyondesignnyc.com/kett...st-hampton-ny/
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Beautiful home. Good for him.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:48 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Beautiful home. Good for him.
Agree. What an amazing job monetizing his passion. He's living the American dream. I applaud his success.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Agree. What an amazing job monetizing his passion. He's living the American dream. I applaud his success.
While I agree good for him, we really need to stop using the term "The American Dream" so loosely. It isn't "making a lot of money" and building Barbie's Dream home, but rather refers to hard work and social mobility for ones family and children over generations. Even if one thinks Brian and the life he lives is amazing, its not the American Dream.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:58 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Adam1222
While I agree good for him, we really need to stop using the term "The American Dream" so loosely. It isn't "making a lot of money" and building Barbie's Dream home, but rather refers to hard work and social mobility for ones family and children over generations. Even if one thinks Brian and the life he lives is amazing, its not the American Dream.
My use is consistent with this definition:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/american-dream

1. the ideals of freedom, equality, and opportunity traditionally held to be available to every American.
2. a life of personal happiness and material comfort as traditionally sought by individuals in the U.S.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
What Brian did is a component of the American dream though. He came up with an idea and then worked to implement that idea. In retrospect, it's easy to see that he understood from the beginning what his end game was and even to believe that what he did was simple. The reality is that he quit a good job on Wall Street to pursue that dream without any assurance it would turn out as well as it did. His business plan was solid, including making sure he cashed in on his business before the peak of the points/mile game hit. I'm sure with his experience and contacts, he knew how to open channels to put his business on the market in ways that other bloggers couldn't have guessed.

I'm not a guy who had that entrepreneurial streak. I've done better than my parents did but certainly not as well as a guy like Brian. I'm happy with what I've done, I assume he's happy with what he's done. That to me is a fair amount of the American dream.

And I'm sure that nice house is, in part, a way of basically saying to a lot of folks around here who have offered their criticism of his business, his practices, and website (if he even cared), "shove it."
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
What Brian did is a component of the American dream though. He came up with an idea and then worked to implement that idea. In retrospect, it's easy to see that he understood from the beginning what his end game was and even to believe that what he did was simple. The reality is that he quit a good job on Wall Street to pursue that dream without any assurance it would turn out as well as it did. His business plan was solid, including making sure he cashed in on his business before the peak of the points/mile game hit. I'm sure with his experience and contacts, he knew how to open channels to put his business on the market in ways that other bloggers couldn't have guessed.

I'm not a guy who had that entrepreneurial streak. I've done better than my parents did but certainly not as well as a guy like Brian. I'm happy with what I've done, I assume he's happy with what he's done. That to me is a fair amount of the American dream.

And I'm sure that nice house is, in part, a way of basically saying to a lot of folks around here who have offered their criticism of his business, his practices, and website (if he even cared), "shove it."
Kelly has also been quite frank about the financial difficulties and stresses he encountered pursuing his "dream." It hasn't been easy but he was in the right place at the right time with the right ideas. And his new home sure beats "living in hotels full time."
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Although I'm not really a big fan of the term's use on FT, I do find it funny that his address is on Kettle Court.

Nice looking house and I like the travel themed rooms idea.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Although I'm not really a big fan of the term's use on FT, I do find it funny that his address is on Kettle Court.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have been to REALLY nice homes of prospective clients whose net worth was so low due to disastrous financial mistakes and debt up to their neck. Scratch that, up to their eyeballs.

I think Brian is smart enough not to have committed the same mistakes. But we will never know for sure.

This guy has written the book on how to monetize an idea. Good for him. Hope he is happy. I remember sitting with him in a table during an edition of these Freddie Awards type dinner back in 2010 when he was doing award bookings. Wow, he's come a long way since then. He is a really nice guy by the way.

He has done more to publicize this hobby than any other blogger. I let you judge the consequences of this in your hobby activities

I am going to get my next CSP card from him #notreally

In the meantime, his last post is: "Here are the best credit cards to get if you stay at @Marriott Hotels ______"
The pumping never stops...
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by gpapadop
In the meantime, his last post is: "Here are the best credit cards to get if you stay at @Marriott Hotels ______"
The pumping never stops...
Oh come on, now he has to pay for the property taxes on that place somehow!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Yes, good for him indeed!

But when I finish making my first $15 million I'm going to spend it on travel and experiences, not stuff like a mansion. But I'm sure it's a good investment.

His mileage may vary!
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:33 pm

I wonder how TPG will give away a trip comparable to the comp'd experience from CSP the editor is getting in Vegas this weekend. Because, you know, they won't accept comp'd trips.

https://twitter.com/ZachHonig/status/726259587561582592

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.