The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by LPDAL
I can't imagine someone going into court and blaming TPG because they maxed out their credit card that Brian's website suggested they sign up for and are now unable to afford payments on. Again, that doesn't make any sense at all.

-LPDAL
Maybe you just didn't understand the question but I assure you that it definitely makes sense.

You see, he advertises credit. In the UK, such adverts are controlled by the Consumer Credit Regulations, i.e. you need a license to advertise credit cards. I wanted to know if there are similar regulations in the US. As Adam has pointed out, that's not the case which is why you can't sue TPG.

The tpgtv videos are well-produced and I really like his voice. But some parts of the videos are also extremely awkward to watch. "Because I'm a nice guy, I bought some new friends rounds of drinks on my... CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED CARD"
Old Mar 12, 2016, 6:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I lost all respect for Forbes. Allowed TPG to "contribute" an article on why it is great to get Global Entry with a bunch of his credit cards. If they did it without getting a cut or some type of paid content arrangement, they are just idiots.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, LAN, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by runfit
Out of curiosity, I had looked at his youtube video yesterday and it only had 500 views. Today, not 24 hours later, it has 45,000 views. How much is he paying in advertising to get those views???
With Youtube showing views publicly, it is probably very important to him to get those up if he wants to gain the interest of a network, would that be correct?
He mentioned he spends around $100K/year in Facebook advertisement alone.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by paulqle
In the UK,
Except TPG isn't in the United Kingdom, nor are the majority of his readers. So what goes on across the pond has no bearing on this conversation.

You are asking if a person who signs up for a credit card on or through TPG's website who then gets into severe debt can thereby blame TPG for bankrupting them because TPG suggested that they obtain the credit line. No? That doesn't make any sense. "He said I should do it!" isn't a valid defense nor a viable cause of action.

-LPDAl
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Except TPG isn't in the United Kingdom, nor are the majority of his readers. So what goes on across the pond has no bearing on this conversation.

You are asking if a person who signs up for a credit card on or through TPG's website who then gets into severe debt can thereby blame TPG for bankrupting them because TPG suggested that they obtain the credit line. No? That doesn't make any sense. "He said I should do it!" isn't a valid defense nor a viable cause of action.

-LPDAl
He can blame him for sure. Just can't take legal action against him. @:-)
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:36 pm

This is what happens when you don't spend thousands of dollars to promote your videos on YouTube.

From 200k to 3k... OUCH! That's gotta hurt. I can't imagine the amount of money they spent making those Africa videos... then to pay for a ton of advertising for videos no one wants to watch. Guess Brian isn't going to be the next Anthony Bourdain.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
This is what happens when you don't spend thousands of dollars to promote your videos on YouTube.

From 200k to 3k... OUCH! That's gotta hurt.
Yeah. Fail. Sorry dude. Maybe he'll turn it around. Maybe not.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Yeah. Fail. Sorry dude. Maybe he'll turn it around. Maybe not.
He needs to hire whomever is doing Sam Haungs PR. The guy who did the Emirates trip that killed the deal. He's already in the Daily Mail and Mashable for his last flight. Wonder how much $$$ he has to pay to get featured?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Apparently the cool thing to do now is get an AmEx Centurion card.
https://twitter.com/SaraClemence/sta...93394335481860
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:36 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
Well someone has to have @thescoop @:-)
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you blog about the card the $10,000 becomes a business expense right??
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Well, well, well. This is a shocker.

I find TPG to be mostly unreadable and, in some instances, misleading or outright inaccurate.

But the T&L piece on the Centurion Card? It's actually luke warm to the point of being a border-line pan. Here's a taste from the conclusion: "Only time will tell whether the Centurion Card is worth it. So far the service is better than I expected and the Delta Platinum status has been nice for flexibility in changing awards and earning more miles on Delta flights. For the average traveler or one who already has Delta Platinum or higher, I would find it hard to justify the hefty fees. Paying $10,000 for a credit card with no sign-up bonus was a hard pill to swallow."

So thumbs up, Brian, for playing it straight. For this post, anyway.

(No, I don't have the card myself.)
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
..."For the average traveler or one who already has Delta Platinum or higher, I would find it hard to justify the hefty fees. Paying $10,000 for a credit card with no sign-up bonus was a hard pill to swallow."

We needed his "expert" analysis to know that someone who likely spends well less than $10k annually on travel won't benefit from a $10k card?!?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
If you blog about the card the $10,000 becomes a business expense right??
Yep. And I guess ole Lucky and Gary are chomping at the bit and calling their insiders at Amex whining on why they don't have one yet.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Well, well, well. This is a shocker.

I find TPG to be mostly unreadable and, in some instances, misleading or outright inaccurate.

But the T&L piece on the Centurion Card? It's actually luke warm to the point of being a border-line pan. Here's a taste from the conclusion: "Only time will tell whether the Centurion Card is worth it. So far the service is better than I expected and the Delta Platinum status has been nice for flexibility in changing awards and earning more miles on Delta flights. For the average traveler or one who already has Delta Platinum or higher, I would find it hard to justify the hefty fees. Paying $10,000 for a credit card with no sign-up bonus was a hard pill to swallow."

(No, I don't have the card myself.)
Are you serious?

The article was atrocious.
-He doesn't mention that you need to spend some $500K annually with AMEX just to apply for it.
-He justifies the value with utter nonsense about SPG Gold being worth $319 and HH DIA being worth $2,320 when those status are handed out like candy. It's not worth spending anything on the card, but yay, you can reissue ridiculously overpriced Skypesos awards for freeeeeeeee, a value of over $3,000!

What in the world did you learn from it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.