The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I just meant in comparison to a lot of the other bloggers out there.
Okay, maybe I should have said they look horrible compared to your blog and bad compared to all other travel blogs
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:43 pm

It looks like he did get a video producer to go with him. He's doing updates on snapchat.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Doesn't he have to pay for a seat / suite / apartment / some other cabin ticket etc etc etc for the video producer? Lucky [no pun intended] dude.

Regarding cabin photography...Interesting. I always found certain subjects to be easier to capture than others. For example, taking pictures of an entire suite is usually a PITA for me -- I'll have to stand up and raise the camera above my head to encompass the whole suite in my photo which is easier said than done! I can't imagine the apartment is that much easier for Kelly, considering the closed design.

One thing I suggest to Brian and others is to literally take dozens of pictures of the same thing from different angles (take, NOT post.). People ask me why I have thousands of pictures on my Flickr of the same object, wing, engine, etc., well it is because even the best photographer will have 95% garbage photos, 3% good photos, and 2% that are the best of the best. Statistically, the more pictures I take, the more chance I have of increasing the 2% of usable images. Dunno if Kelly does this, but maybe it could work for him.

-LPDAL
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Props to TPG for ponying up for it (whether he did or employer did, doesn't matter as much to me), even if he can write it off as a business expense, rather than trying to get the community to crowdfund it. I still will never get why OMAAT didn't simply find someone to split the $20k with for the initial Residence, I'm sure someone would have been glad to pay $10k for it if he came up with the other $10k.
I completely agree. That was when OMAAT jumped the shark for me. The hypocrisy was stunning as was his, "I'm doing it for all of you". I will read TPGs report and kudos to him for doing it and being upfront about it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Doesn't he have to pay for a seat / suite / apartment / some other cabin ticket etc etc etc for the video producer? Lucky [no pun intended] dude.

-LPDAL
Second guest is free in the residence.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Assuming the video producer is for the reality show pilot that TPG is making.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:17 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by cruisr
I completely agree. That was when OMAAT jumped the shark for me. The hypocrisy was stunning as was his, "I'm doing it for all of you". I will read TPGs report and kudos to him for doing it and being upfront about it.
Yep, paying cash. (or as Mayweather says "Cash gets the job done!")

Kelly is getting the red-carpet treatment because he booked Etihad's first-ever Residence flight out of America, which will depart JFK for Abu Dhabi on December 1, for $33,000—though he will get at least $6,000 back through points and status matches. "I paid cash," he says. "But it's a business expense—the most incredible experience in the sky."
source for above quote
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Cash is king!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
..... Seems not. If Brian had EY status they would probably have loaded his hand baggage instead of insisting he give it to a flunky to carry and the flunky then putting it down and forgetting about it :-)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:32 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Raffles
..... Seems not. If Brian had EY status they would probably have loaded his hand baggage instead of insisting he give it to a flunky to carry and the flunky then putting it down and forgetting about it :-)
So, basically, when I hand over things or make verbal requests at 5* properties (like Four Seasons) I should assume that a "flunky" is going to lose my bag/stuff.

At one property that I frequent, they handle my packages. Place things in the suite. Take care of all kinds of things without receipts or documentation.

I mean, when you pay "big bucks" things are just supposed to be done properly. I don't make assumptions that people or employees are "flunkies." Obviously, I do not have such expectations at a Hampton Inn.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Seriously though, what a screw-up on Etihad's side. This is the first Residence trip report that will (should) have lots of details and pictures, and they can't even make sure the guy's luggage makes it onto the plane? It takes a little bit of the shine off the whole "uber-luxury, personal service" marketing scheme they've got going with this product.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by luluv
Seriously though, what a screw-up on Etihad's side. This is the first Residence trip report that will (should) have lots of details and pictures, and they can't even make sure the guy's luggage makes it onto the plane? It takes a little bit of the shine off the whole "uber-luxury, personal service" marketing scheme they've got going with this product.
But this isn't the first residence trip report with details and photos.

Gino Bertuccio: http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2014/12/...l-trip-report/

Brian Kelly is banking on the chance opportunity that the video he will create and/or write up will go viral. $30k for two people and being able to write it off as a business expense seems like a cheap price if it can drive a huge amount of traffic to his page. He may have even gotten the guy to do the video in exchange for a few free flights. It will be interesting to compare the amount of attention vs Lucky's Rolling Stone feature as he went on a media blitz (I'm assuming he hired someone for PR). The guy that did the "$60,000" Emirates trip around the world had over 15 million views. He didn't have to do much once the story started to spread. He spent 6+ months after that trip preparing things to monetize all the new traffic.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

Brian Kelly is banking on the chance opportunity that the video he will create and/or write up will go viral. $30k for two people and being able to write it off as a business expense seems like a cheap price if it can drive a huge amount of traffic to his page. He may have even gotten the guy to do the video in exchange for a few free flights. It will be interesting to compare the amount of attention vs Lucky's Rolling Stone feature as he went on a media blitz (I'm assuming he hired someone for PR). The guy that did the "$60,000" Emirates trip around the world had over 15 million views. He didn't have to do much once the story started to spread. He spent 6+ months after that trip preparing things to monetize all the new traffic.
I was including Gino's write-up when I said TPG's would be the first with lots of pictures and details. Gino's trip report style is not the flashier, take photos of everything, and describe every single detail style of OMAAT, TPG, or the other "big" bloggers. Even though Gino got to be the very first Residence passenger, his write-up was too low key to be a huge attention grabber outside of those who knew about the product debuting. TPG on the other hand brought along a video producer and will probably milk this with multiple posts on his blog and his social media accounts. This will get a lot more attention than Gino's write-up. Etihad should have made sure the bag made it onto the plane.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx

All good points but those stories took off because people like to see the amazing stuff people can do for "free." This is definitely not that so I would be surprised if it got the same amount of attention. I wonder how much attention the Nicole Kidman ads generated for Etihad?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by runfit
All good points but those stories took off because people like to see the amazing stuff people can do for "free." This is definitely not that so I would be surprised if it got the same amount of attention. I wonder how much attention the Nicole Kidman ads generated for Etihad?
True, though given TPG's overall miles & points focus, he may be able to wrap enough of the "free travel" aura around the story to still draw people in with this as a hook. Will be interesting to see what all he does with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.