Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:01 pm

Daniel Ross put out some more information on his time at TPG on Instagram.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 2:12 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
I'm surprised nobody has picked this up to be honest. Between Dan's posts and Zach's post I would've though Business Insider would've had a second shot.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Isn't Business Insider the group who tried to smear Dave Portnoy? BI wouldn't pick up on this because its not salacious. The TPG stuff is just a bunch of nobody bloggers who got mad and depressed when they finally realized they were being used.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gmt4
Isn't Business Insider the group who tried to smear Dave Portnoy? BI wouldn't pick up on this because its not salacious. The TPG stuff is just a bunch of nobody bloggers who got mad and depressed when they finally realized they were being used.
I don't think that is accurate. These are complaints about workplace issues from employees, not "nobody bloggers." I do wonder if it has anything to do with Brian Kelly officially leaving a formal role in management.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:44 am

Workplace issues are hardy unique or newsworthy. What it took was covid to and its effect on their 'jobs' for them to finally see how they were being used. I'm sure that once the pandemic hit and credit card signups dropped to near zero the pressure was on more than ever to do what they could to continue to keep the revenue going. It wasn't fun when that facade of free travel was swept aside and they saw TPG for the joke it is. That's when the regret and self-loathing came along. Maybe even shame for a few of them. However none of that is worthy of an expose tell all that re-hashes what we could all see from the outside. That, and the fact that nobody really cares. I know I don't.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:51 am

Workplace issues are hardy unique or newsworthy. What it took was covid to and its effect on their 'jobs' for them to finally see how they were being used. I'm sure that once the pandemic hit and credit card signups dropped to near zero the pressure was on more than ever to do what they could to continue to keep the revenue going. It wasn't fun when that facade of free travel was swept aside and they saw TPG for the joke it is. That's when the regret and self-loathing came along. Maybe even shame for a few of them. However none of that is worthy of an expose tell all that re-hashes what we could all see from the outside. That, and the fact that nobody really cares. I know I don't.
Given how many posts there are on this thread, seems plenty of people do care.
Im not sure why you're so quick to suggest employees of a large marketing company don't have real jobs, but given the media attention to Activision and other toxic workplaces of late, and the fact that BI wrote one story already, I think some people do care.
self-loathing, of course, wouldn't have led Brian to be removed from a management position.

The financial ties between journalism outlets and Red Ventures alas likely plays a role in keeping this all quiet.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:57 am

Or, a second rate blog having workplace issues isn't as big of a deal as some people think it is. As far as BK? Who knows. Its just not important to anyone outside of that company. That's why there's no news on it. It really doesn't matter.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:04 am

Or, a second rate blog having workplace issues isn't as big of a deal as some people think it is. As far as BK? Who knows. Its just not important to anyone outside of that company. That's why there's no news on it. It really doesn't matter.
Red Ventures has 4,500 employees and was the focus of a major NY Times piece in August.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:25 am

Internal manpower issues and toxic workplaces aren't news. They wrote about it one time more than they needed to. No. One. Cares.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:36 am

Internal manpower issues and toxic workplaces aren't news. They wrote about it one time more than they needed to. No. One. Cares.
No, you don't care. I care. Others care. You seem to care that others care.
dodgeflyer and diburning like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Red venture can’t afford to have toxic workplace news stories so they will try to keep it away from the limelight. See the post of the happy tag family above. Also Brian is shown as being away from office for a reason. Any investigative person will be told the former boss has been removed, problem solved.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
They're very much news in 2021. See also:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-zoom-rcna8387

Which is getting a ton of press right now.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by beachmouse
They're very much news in 2021. See also:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-zoom-rcna8387

Which is getting a ton of press right now.
Wow. A less Better way to go.

David
Old Dec 11, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Red venture can’t afford to have toxic workplace news stories so they will try to keep it away from the limelight. See the post of the happy tag family above. Also Brian is shown as being away from office for a reason. Any investigative person will be told the former boss has been removed, problem solved.
Brian was not the problem in recent years by all accounts, it is someone else.

Toxic work cultures tend to thrive in certain environments. You shouldn't see them in a business which should be generating a 90% NET profit margin. I mean ... I hire good people, pay them well, leave them alone to do their stuff (in their contracted working hours), live a very nice life .... it's not difficult.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:09 am

Some more unhappy former employees:

oliver2002 and Adam1222 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.