The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers

She should go work for TPG. Her iPhone photos are even worse than his and just as cringe worthy as his video (if not more).
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
How many bloggers were on that flight???
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by skunker
How many bloggers were on that flight???
At least 17 too many.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Her iPhone photos are even worse than his and just as cringe worthy as his video (if not more).
Agree. The lack of quality visual content is astounding.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium

She should go work for TPG. Her iPhone photos are even worse than his and just as cringe worthy as his video (if not more).
More cringe worthy. Really lousy quality photo. I actually like Brian's You Tube. I know I am in the minority here with that opinion. Shower pictures are just TMI and just plane (pun intended] bad.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:02 pm

holy moly

I'm not gonna say anything... I'm speechless
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
I feel sorry for him.
The plan was great, an amazing trip, a photographer, OMG, it will rock!
At the end, the space is really cramped and super hard to photograph,
nothing looks really unique or great, everybody knows everything already
about this "experience"...

He is trying so hard, a shot in his bed in his suit, a shot in his robe,
looking left, looking right... A glass of champaign, OMG...

Not sure if this "business expense" will pay off. And it looked so great on paper...

The beginning of the video was kinda jarring with so many quick clips thrown together. And he obviously struggled to come up with enough content just for that short video. Like you said, after a few moments one has seen all there is to see inside and watching someone get served food and champagne is about exciting as watching golf on TV.

The whole thing just comes off as cheesy and something out of a high school video project.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The beginning of the video was kinda jarring with so many quick clips thrown together. And he obviously struggled to come up with enough content just for that short video. Like you said, after a few moments one has seen all there is to see inside and watching someone get served food and champagne is about exciting as watching golf on TV.

The whole thing just comes off as cheesy and something out of a high school video project.
I get the impression he needed an excuse for the company to pay for his ticket. I don't think he paid for it out of pocket. He probably pitched some idea where he would be able to use this "experience" and create something that would go viral. If it didn't, he would still be able to use the trip for at least 20 future articles. Brian is not very tech savvy. I think it's why they hired the guy from Engadget to come over to be editor.

After the deleted Emirates shower video and short lived feud with Ben I think this was more about ego and lifestyle than doing it for the readers. They already had a residence video that his editor created that is more what you'd expect from a trip report (though you'd expect that a guy who has worked for Engadget would know a thing or two about what lens to use) :
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
(though you'd expect that a guy who has worked for Engadget would know a thing or two about what lens to use)
And how to use a Warp Stabilizer...

I traveled Etihad Apartments the other day (in no way related to any of the JFK-AUH nonsense) and look forward to sharing my pics and video soon.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After the deleted Emirates shower video and short lived feud with Ben I think this was more about ego and lifestyle than doing it for the readers.
I'd argue that makes it even better than if it was actually for the readers .
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

brian appears to make luxury expenditures
a lot moreso than ben, which is both >
- illustration of top 3 - FTG, TPG, MMS
- brian doesnt travel 24/7 like ben does
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:29 am

I feel like he should have done this as soon as Lucky announced his kickstarter to piggyback off the media buzz and excitement surrounding the entire product - now it seems the mystery and interest has died down somewhat
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Please tell me I am not looking at someone taking a selfie of themselves in an A380 shower.

Please.

-LPDAL
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Please tell me I am not looking at someone taking a selfie of themselves in an A380 shower.

Please.

-LPDAL
I cannot allow you to give thanks, as that is the case. Personally, I've taken three showers on airplanes and I assure you that there is no photographic evidence of any of them .
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I was fairly excited to see that TPG was going to do this. Figured it was the one chance to get a proper TR of the experience.

Boy was I wrong. Maybe this is just his normal style but he comes across as so whiny and entitled I just can't read his c**p. I know his intent was to go viral with 25 different posts about the experience but I can't read any more after reading just 2 of the articles.

Here's to hoping some of our great TR reporters eventually find a way into the Residence and give us an FT TR that doesn't include any of this nonsense (looking at you SFO777).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.