Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:42 pm

Sooo, Brian Kelly is flying the inaugural Etihad A380 from JFK Monday - in the Residence. Think he plunked down the $30K for that or was it something different?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by runfit
Sooo, Brian Kelly is flying the inaugural Etihad A380 from JFK Monday - in the Residence. Think he plunked down the $30K for that or was it something different?
Well Ben will be PO'd Im sure he would want to do the Residence with the BF. Oh well. Id rather read Brian's review then Ben's.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Well Ben will be PO'd Im sure he would want to do the Residence with the BF. Oh well. Id rather read Brian's review then Ben's.
Seems like there could be a sequel to the deleted drunk shower video at 36,000 ft? If it's comp'd do you think they'd allow him to bring his boyfriend?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Seems like there could be a sequel to the deleted drunk shower video at 36,000 ft? If it's comp'd do you think they'd allow him to bring his boyfriend?
He'd probably demand it using the logic that the price is for two people (IIRC) I am so glad I didn't see the drunk shower video at 36K feet. Im afraid to ask what it was about.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EY will probably let him take along his dog

https://twitter.com/thepointsguy/sta...89886734487552
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:31 pm

This is laughable. The guy works for creditcards.com, went to his boss -
"John, it's gonna be huge! so many clicks, so many credit card applications!".
John agreed, paid $30K, a drop for a corporation...
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
But that is what makes me curious - how is this good for business at all (if it fit with anyone's readership, it would be Ben's)? He still has people on his site asking how many miles their award ticket will earn. The Residence cannot be achieved with miles/points (well, if you have millions of Etihad miles) and therefore the effort is lost for his readership. Instead, it will just come off like a "look what I did because I can) type thing. And that never plays well. Check out his post from a while back about paying $1,400 a night for a hotel in Paris.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:54 am
Suspended

Check out his post from a while back about paying $1,400 a night for a hotel in Paris.
Link?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Yep, no doubt
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
But that is what makes me curious - how is this good for business at all (if it fit with anyone's readership, it would be Ben's)? He still has people on his site asking how many miles their award ticket will earn. The Residence cannot be achieved with miles/points (well, if you have millions of Etihad miles) and therefore the effort is lost for his readership. Instead, it will just come off like a "look what I did because I can) type thing. And that never plays well. Check out his post from a while back about paying $1,400 a night for a hotel in Paris.
It's the 'halo effect.'

Not repeatable using points, but no one has to know that!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:44 am

... - how is this good for business at all ...

Novelty. None of those clowns has flown in it yet, so for sure
it will bring clicks. Beating omaat probably will make his day...
This kind of silliness.

Business? I predict it's gonna fade out until next world wide crisis.
There is simply no way to advertise aspirational trips anymore.
Unless your readers cannot count to 3...
You can see how many blogs are pretty much dead right now,
some bigger ones like mommything etc. I'm pretty sure their cc income
is the thing of the past.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
I'm glad he's bringing a video producer onboard The Residence today. His pictures aren't bad by any means but having a professional along will make the content much better I think.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
I'm glad he's bringing a video producer onboard The Residence today. His pictures aren't bad by any means but having a professional along will make the content much better I think.
It doesn't look like he is bringing anyone. You have to be joking when you say TPG's photos aren't a bad thing. They are some of the worst ever featured on a travel blog. The photos you are seeing in recent articles were taken by his editor after he contacted the airline and asked to board 15 minutes early and to access the residence to take photos/videos.

I do have to say I did not think TPG would be paying cash for that seat. Kudos to him for being upfront. It is a business expense, but even more than that I can see how this kind of fits right into his feud with Lucky over who has the better blog and who is more successful. To pay out of pocket and state that it is a business expense vs asking your readers to pay for your ticket (because he's doing it for you guys!) when we all know Ben could afford it.....

I have to wonder if TPG thinks that this will go viral like the guy who did the $60,000 trip around the world on points? How else would one justify paying that amount for a ticket other than bragging rights?
mhrb likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I do have to say I did not think TPG would be paying cash for that seat. Kudos to him for being upfront. It is a business expense, but even more than that I can see how this kind of fits right into his feud with Lucky over who has the better blog and who is more successful. To pay out of pocket and state that it is a business expense vs asking your readers to pay for your ticket (because he's doing it for you guys!) when we all know Ben could afford it.....
Props to TPG for ponying up for it (whether he did or employer did, doesn't matter as much to me), even if he can write it off as a business expense, rather than trying to get the community to crowdfund it. I still will never get why OMAAT didn't simply find someone to split the $20k with for the initial Residence, I'm sure someone would have been glad to pay $10k for it if he came up with the other $10k.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
It doesn't look like he is bringing anyone. You have to be joking when you say TPG's photos aren't a bad thing. They are some of the worst ever featured on a travel blog. The photos you are seeing in recent articles were taken by his editor after he contacted the airline and asked to board 15 minutes early and to access the residence to take photos/videos.
I just meant in comparison to a lot of the other bloggers out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.