Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Looks like TPE-ORD is not profitable. Morning LAX BR6 and SFO BR8 are not either. Lots of cancellation.

Flights are gradually coming back to schedule. Good for summer travelers. Are FAs slowly coming back to work from strike?
According to Eva, 300 FAs are coming back and 180 have retrieved their documents. The union says the information is wrong.
So it depends on who you want to believe.
Hope things would go back to normal even with reduced capacity.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:48 pm

I waited on hold for three hours for the Chicago office this morning (it's the only one that didn't hang up, at one point I had three different phones on hold with different ticket offices). When they answered it took about five minutes for them to rebook on a direct United flight HKG to SFO.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by seaflying
I had issues getting through to a bunch of the local ticket offices in North America. After 1 hour I was able to get through to LA ticket office fyi for those trying to call and rebook for the newly cancelled flights.
I think the local offices are the only viable option. Every time I called the 800-695-1188 number it either immediately disconnected or it played a message then disconnected.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by yjc281
According to Eva, 300 FAs are coming back and 180 have retrieved their documents. The union says the information is wrong.
So it depends on who you want to believe.
Hope things would go back to normal even with reduced capacity.
Since flights are returning, I would assume EVA isn't materially wrong, unless they've just acquired the ability to magically produce FAs out of thin air.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
They are now running almost 70% of the network. The union's picket line has clearly shrunk, with half the tent now empty and the tent now filled with family members instead of actual FAs.

The union reportedly lied about the location of the passports and IDs, with someone discovering it was sitting in a church right by the union's office. The new affidavit they requested FAs sign promising not to retrieve documents only has 1,000 signatures of the 2,350 passports they originally had and many people are slowly returning to the company. The company says they are running roughly 70% after the 17th of July.
Dave510 and Vote like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Can someone please post the cancelations?
EVA Air did that on their website See Wiki on top of the page.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by gilboman
I don't think you know what democracy means if you think it means there's no place for collective bargaining in a democracy.
Pure democracies could allow extortion rackets too, so this really doesn't help your argument.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:27 pm

Does anyone have any reports of service levels, especially in business? Have they been at all improving since they are restoring more and more flights?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:30 pm

We traveled on BR105 from FUK to TPE on 01Jul2019 (in Biz class) on a hello kitty plane and found the experience underwhelming. Only one meal choice which was pretty ordinary ('seafood pasta'), and no hello kitty amenities. On the positive, we're happy that this flight wasn't canceled and we got to TPE on time.

Our flight from TPE to ORD on the 5th is cancelled so we're headed back on ANA through Tokyo.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
As mentioned in the wiki by the BR experts here, there were to be no Hello Kitty services during the strike.

Originally Posted by xychromosome
We traveled on BR105 from FUK to TPE on 01Jul2019 (in Biz class) on a hello kitty plane and found the experience underwhelming. Only one meal choice which was pretty ordinary ('seafood pasta'), and no hello kitty amenities. On the positive, we're happy that this flight wasn't canceled and we got to TPE on time.

Our flight from TPE to ORD on the 5th is cancelled so we're headed back on ANA through Tokyo.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:19 pm

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but my spouse and I are booked on EVA for next week, from SFO-TPE-PP, leaving at 1:20 am.

Given the ongoing strike and how many flights have been canceled, and that I'm on SFO route, and that I've never been in an airline strike before, I don't know if I ought to:

1.) wait to see if the situation will be resolved in the next week
2.) if I should wait for the flight to be canceled (I can't go at another time; this is my only vacation time this year) -- and what happens if they do that?
3.) if I should use my "cancel for any reason" insurance now and rebook with another airline and lose 25% of the costs

I tried customer service and gave up after two hours on hold.

What are people doing about their flights with EVA right now?
What is EVA doing, if anything?
Is it likely to be canceled?

My spouse is not a great flier and is starting to go a little nuts over this.

Also, for anyone whose flown recently, how is the mood onboard?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by wanderingstar
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but my spouse and I are booked on EVA for next week, from SFO-TPE-PP, leaving at 1:20 am.

Given the ongoing strike and how many flights have been canceled, and that I'm on SFO route, and that I've never been in an airline strike before, I don't know if I ought to:

1.) wait to see if the situation will be resolved in the next week
2.) if I should wait for the flight to be canceled (I can't go at another time; this is my only vacation time this year) -- and what happens if they do that?
3.) if I should use my "cancel for any reason" insurance now and rebook with another airline and lose 25% of the costs

I tried customer service and gave up after two hours on hold.

What are people doing about their flights with EVA right now?
What is EVA doing, if anything?
Is it likely to be canceled?

My spouse is not a great flier and is starting to go a little nuts over this.

Also, for anyone whose flown recently, how is the mood onboard?
BR27 should operate on Wednesday and Sunday next week according to the published schedule above otherwise it is probably cancelled and EVA should be able to rebook you if you call them (poster above waited for 3 hours on hold for US Customer Service but was rebooked so maybe call Taiwan if dont want to wait for that long?) or go to an office if you can

Last edited by kq747; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:07 pm

Cancelled. I will call them in Taiwan first thing tomorrow and try to be rebooked that way. Or I can try US Customer Service and just hold.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by wanderingstar
Cancelled. I will call them in Taiwan first thing tomorrow and try to be rebooked that way. Or I can try US Customer Service and just hold.
I believe the call center in Taiwan is 24h so you can call now if you want
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
My 7/17 JFK-TPE flights were not posted as cancelled as of today. Is there any chance they'll add more flights to the cancellation list after next round of talk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.