Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:59 pm

as much as i hate most unions, i find that it's even worse when the exec do not stick up to their employees when it's needed and instead blame them for certain issues.
from what i can read. it's not at all that much what the FA are asking for, is this really worth the 4 weeks of lost business?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by dood1411
as much as i hate most unions, i find that it's even worse when the exec do not stick up to their employees when it's needed and instead blame them for certain issues.
from what i can read. it's not at all that much what the FA are asking for, is this really worth the 4 weeks of lost business?
Stick up to what? Give whatever the FA wants?

If 4 weeks lost of business can destroy this professional union I don't see why EVA would not do it.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
It is very much worth it because the union is an outside union that actually does not represent all Eva flight attendants. 4 weeks of business is nothing compare to endless yearly strikes whenever they feel like to.
That same union was formed by particular politicians and is well known for the two previous CI strikes. As a customer I want stability over anything else and cannot accept the high probability of future strikes.
If Eva doesn't crush this union I would never buy Eva tickets again. It is as bad as that. In my opinion most FAs involved in the strike were used by the union so in a way they were also victims. (of course they are responsible for their poor judgement, too.)
Vote likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Those 18 already said they don’t care what happens to them. If that’s truly the case, they shouldn’t prolong the strike for them.
Local news reported that 3 of the 18 have returned to work. EVA has confirmed it but did not say these three ladies would not be punished for leaving the flights.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: QR - Gold, EY - Gold
BR flights on 13 July

I am flying BR62 (BKK-TPE) and BR16 (TPE-LAX) on 13 July. I notice these flights are not listed in the most recent cancellation list (12 July). How likely will we get effected?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Apresmidi
I am flying BR62 (BKK-TPE) and BR16 (TPE-LAX) on 13 July. I notice these flights are not listed in the most recent cancellation list (12 July). How likely will we get effected?
Unlikely. They are only adding flights now.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:13 am

According to EVA, besides the 18 FAs who refused to fly on 6/20 prior to 4pm reporting time (3 since returned on duty), 7 FAs refused to continue working after 2pm announcement while they are still on simulator training for another plane type. These 25 FAs have since been marked dereliction on 6/20 and will be under further investigation.

7/2 will be the next meeting between EVA and union. Personally don't see EVA backing off on the union.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really hope public opinion stays with EVA. I think this is really a lesson for politics in Taiwan. The politicians (on both sides) caved in to public opinions and demonstrations over the years. It is kind of refreshing to see an organization sticking with rules and order and long term well-being for a change.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Unlikely. They are only adding flights now.
Thank you very much.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:14 pm
jmw

All of you who say they'll never buy another ticket again if EVA is unsuccessful in destroying the union are real ignorant of reality. AA, UA, DL, WN are all heavy union shops and moreso than EVA. AA and WN have experienced work actions this year that have hurt their customers. Management has not been able to completely squash American aviation labor unions. But it's not due to lack of trying. In particular, WN has refused to agree to a contract with its mechanics for 12 long years until just last month which coincidentally was after a couple of months of alleged mechanic work slowdowns. All of the American carriers have been trying to outsource to cheaper labor outside of the USA despite union protests against that.

All that being said, I fully expect both sides to play full-on hardball and hope both sides realize how important this is. Neither side should back down at all for the inconvenience of the customers. The ramifications of this labor dispute will be long lasting and widespread for Taiwan no matter how this dispute is resolved. The FA union looks like it's going to blink first, but I hope they realize the long term ramifications of throwing in the towel and applying for Starlux.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
All that being said, I fully expect both sides to play full-on hardball and hope both sides realize how important this is. Neither side should back down at all for the inconvenience of the customers. The ramifications of this labor dispute will be long lasting and widespread for Taiwan no matter how this dispute is resolved. The FA union looks like it's going to blink first, but I hope they realize the long term ramifications of throwing in the towel and applying for Starlux.
Well I never said I won’t buy another EVA ticket and frankly don’t think my decision as a customer will influence EVA’s decision in this case. To respond to the quote:

Starlux will not pick up any of these FAs. As much as they need FAs they won’t take any that have potential history of causing trouble. The only one already known was accepted before the strike begun and I am quite certain that she won’t get promoted at all in the future (if she doesn’t leave herself) with the sorry show she displayed at TPE T2.

Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
this is probably the most none sense post

1. No one management has the power to grant board of director seats? Show me a law that is is within power of management?

2. To ask for higher per diem than one of the most profitable company in the world is too much

3. To actually board aircraft and then leave the plane to joint strike is a safety issue

The attendant has no regard for others and deserves to be fired.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: SQ*G, Accor Silver
Called EVA today regarding cancelled flight, answered on first ring. Very helpful (and apologetic) rep re-booked us on an OK replacement, but then called back a few hours later with an even better solution. All things considered, hard to imagine a better outcome.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:27 pm

Any news from the re-negotiaton? It’s scheduled today, right?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Assuming all goes well with negoiations and it is all finished up today. How long will it take to get operations back to normal? Within 24hrs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.