Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Just some advice if the phone lines are busy - I could not get through to EVA on the phone so went into the EVA Chicago ticketing office in Rosemont (it is right by the Hyatt O'Hare and Hilton Rosemont) and the staff there took care of me in just a few minutes, rebooking me onto CX. So it may pay off to make the trip to a local ticketing office if it is convenient.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
No, that is not how protection rackets operate. Please substantiate your claim of bullying. Where are the corroborated reports of bullying? I have the impression that you are voicing your personal opinion as fact. What's your point with the reference to an "economic" strike? With the exception of work safety collective actions, strikes almost always have have a financial cause, and are in effect "economic".

How is this "bullying" being carried out? 80% of the EVA TFAU membership had to vote in favour of the strike. That's a rather high threshold to achieve, so there was obviously a significant sentiment in favour of the collective action. Approximately 75% of EVA's working FAs are unionized. My understanding is that non unionized workers are more likely to have senior or onboard "managerial "roles . I think it would be a tad difficult to "bully" the senior purser or SD. It's a bit of a stretch to claim that the young women who are the core FAs are given to physical assaults, unless we are expected to believe that they have become Hello Kitty styled Ninjas.
Less hysterical hyperbole and just the facts please.
That is literally how protection and extortion rackets operate.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by krispykrme
if I am BR management- I won’t cave to government pressure.
Tsai will I’ll be gone if she continue to allow government to bully business
EVA's spokesman said they will wait for the official report from labor ministry before making any decisions.

However, based on what the union said, EVA believes the overnight schedule in Beijing and Tokyo & monthly review is a trap set by the union to make EVA further violate labor law set by Taoyuan city. Tokyo was specifically picked up as the monthly rotation was set to began in July. It appears that EVA doesn't agree to overnight in Tokyo.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
EVA's spokesman said they will wait for the official report from labor ministry before making any decisions.

However, based on what the union said, EVA believes the overnight schedule in Beijing and Tokyo & monthly review is a trap set by the union to make EVA further violate labor law set by Taoyuan city. Tokyo was specifically picked up as the monthly rotation was set to began in July. It appears that EVA doesn't agree to overnight in Tokyo.
what is the violation? it is interesting that cx hkg tyo does not always havc overnight, and cx hkg cts hkg is same day turn around.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
what is the violation? it is interesting that cx hkg tyo does not always havc overnight, and cx hkg cts hkg is same day turn around.
AOR is max 14 hours (I believe, correct me if wrong) but Taoyuan City Labor ruled that 12 hours is max.

EVA has the 2 hour reporting policy so sometimes bad weather will cause the crews to exceed 12 hours duty for flights such as Tokyo.

EVA proposed monthly Tokyo schedule for same crews to land within the 12 hours by cutting down necessary briefing and report time (as you are working with the same crew members most of the time on the same flight monthly round). Union called EVA escaping the 12 hour policy.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Seems like they are adding back another LAX flight (midnight departure) and another HKG flight from 7/1.

I actually think the 'tokyo-only' monthly schedule is a great move for the company. It can reduce the chance of overtime and I think it DOES decrease the fatigue for the crew (as they report 30 mins later, they get 30 more mins sleep). I saw reports that EVA still pay for the 30mins cut down, which is nice of them.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by flyingeverywhere1
Seems like they are adding back another LAX flight (midnight departure)
Could you please elaborate on the source?
BR15 shows as cancelled all the way through July 6 at the moment.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I don't have a source.. Just checked the timetable on their website and see they are adding BR1016/BR1015 TPE-LAX-TPE and BR1855/BR1856 TPE-HKG-TPE. The original BR16/BR15, and BR855/BR856 are still canceled.
unleashed likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by unleashed
Could you please elaborate on the source?
BR15 shows as cancelled all the way through July 6 at the moment.
It's kind of funny, the cancellation page says it's cancelled, but status page shows it's flying with another number.

You can buy it as well, but Economy all full. I suppose they got extra crew to man this flight but cannot revert the cancellation.
unleashed likes this.

Last edited by coolfish1103; Jun 27, 2019 at 7:56 am
Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:19 am

Base on fare availability:

AMS
BR 75/76 - Zero-ed till 7/9

BNE
BR 315/316 - Zero-ed till 8/1

LAX
BR 6/5 - Zero-ed till 7/31
BR 16/15 - Zero-ed till 7/5
BR 1016/1015 - Available from 7/1-7/5

ORD
BR 56/55 - Zero-ed till 7/6

SFO
BR 8/7 - Zero-ed till 7/31
BR 28/27 - Zero-ed till 7/8

SEA
BR 4/3 - Zero-ed till 7/31

VIE
BR 61/62 - Zero-ed till 7/7
BR 65/66 - Zero-ed till 7/31

YYZ
BR - Zero-ed till 7/11

Basically, importance goes by:

1st LAX/SFO > 1st SEA, IAH/JFK > LHR/CDG/YVR > 2nd LAX > ORD > 1-stop VIE > 2nd SFO > AMS > YYZ > Other long haul including BNE
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD

Interesting, but if Flightaware can be trusted, EVA16 will fly today. That is maybe good news?
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Interesting, but if Flightaware can be trusted, EVA16 will fly today. That is maybe good news?
Seems to be incorrect.
Please see coolfish's post above - his/her info checks out as valid on multiple sites.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan

For a lot of international flights with foreign carriers flightaware isn't accurate at all... Last couple of times flying EVA originating overseas it didn't capture delays until well after the fact. OZ is practically never accurate either.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:37 pm
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
I have a Premium Economy ticket (BKK-LHR-BKK) booked for the end of August-start of September. Although this is still nearly 2 months away will the strike have repercussions then? Could I get a full refund now so I can book on TG Economy () before they sell out/prices become too high?

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
NEWS!!! I called EVA agent at LA to cancel the Cathay flight they put me on because it was really badly timed for me (plus i hated the middle seat). And the agent told me my canceled BR16 flight is reinstated as of July 1st. She put me back on it no problems. I asked her what happened? She said more FA's are coming back from strike so they opened this flight and now and management is encouraging phone agents to put pax back on this flight. Except for now it's being marked as BR1016 for what reason I don't know. But that's that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.