Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
EVA has now posted cancellations till 7/19 ex-TPE (or 7/19-7/21 not ex-TPE).
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
my flight KWL TPE on BR has been cancelled on July 18. Any suggestion on how to handle it? (I booked it because I need to re qualified for A3 *G)

I am in Queenstown NZ now, so no possible to go to any office physically.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:29 am

I got a text message from Eva about 45 minutes ago saying one of my flights (Taipei-Hong Kong) on 14th July had been cancelled. I booked it using Eurobonus points from SAS as part of a Singapore-(Taipei)-Hong Kong routing. Rang SAS and they said I didn't need to do anything and that the flight would be rebooked.I presume Eva is doing the rebooking ....
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:52 am

... and as a follow-up to my last post above, I can report that my flights have been changed to Thai Airways for almost the same departure and arrival times as I originally had on Eva. The rebooking was actually done by SAS and took less than an hour.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Can someone please post the cancelations?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by tris06
Assuming all goes well with negoiations and it is all finished up today. How long will it take to get operations back to normal? Within 24hrs?
No way. They said around 3-4weeks last week when the end of strike was envisioned by the weekend that just past
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by unleashed
If the young ladies are forming a long line trying to get hired then any argument against easiness of replacement is null.
In today's democratic economies there should be no place for unions. They should be rendered illegal, as any other extortion racket.

I'm really curious about Starlux. Their business model seems to be about going after the high-end customer.
Remains to be seen how it will turn out for them. (I'm not optimistic).
I don't think you know what democracy means if you think it means there's no place for collective bargaining in a democracy. You're thinking of state controlled communism economy that will remove uniones

all western democracies have strong unions unless you consider North America and western Europe to not be democracies?

Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Star Alliance
I booked Y but upgraded to J with AC points. Will I be rebooked on J or it would be Y and my points will be refunded?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
Like-for-Like Rebookings?

I have a booking from YYZ-TPE-KUL round-trip in Premium Economy near the end of July. If BR rebooks, are they doing Like-for-Like, or are they doing economy tickets?

I suppose I can live with AC Premium Economy YYZ-YVR-TPE on AC and whatever airline for the last segment. Or perhaps YYZ-HKG-KUL (with the latter on CX PY).
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I have a booking from YYZ-TPE-KUL round-trip in Premium Economy near the end of July. If BR rebooks, are they doing Like-for-Like, or are they doing economy tickets?

I suppose I can live with AC Premium Economy YYZ-YVR-TPE on AC and whatever airline for the last segment. Or perhaps YYZ-HKG-KUL (with the latter on CX PY).
I think your flight is going to be alright. YYZ resumes from July 11th. And KUL is never really canceled.
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket

Like to like but only if there are available seats. If not then it will be up to you if you want to be seated in Economy (or re-book on a later date where PE is available).
TTC192Rocket likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by jmw
All of you who say they'll never buy another ticket again if EVA is unsuccessful in destroying the union are real ignorant of reality. AA, UA, DL, WN are all heavy union shops and moreso than EVA. AA and WN have experienced work actions this year that have hurt their customers. Management has not been able to completely squash American aviation labor unions. But it's not due to lack of trying. In particular, WN has refused to agree to a contract with its mechanics for 12 long years until just last month which coincidentally was after a couple of months of alleged mechanic work slowdowns. All of the American carriers have been trying to outsource to cheaper labor outside of the USA despite union protests against that.

All that being said, I fully expect both sides to play full-on hardball and hope both sides realize how important this is. Neither side should back down at all for the inconvenience of the customers. The ramifications of this labor dispute will be long lasting and widespread for Taiwan no matter how this dispute is resolved. The FA union looks like it's going to blink first, but I hope they realize the long term ramifications of throwing in the towel and applying for Starlux.
There are very significant differences here. US airlines unions by law are not allowed to operate like this particular union
I'm not saying there should not be a union but such rogue union with a lot of political motivations that has caused 3 major airline strikes and disruptions should not be tolerated.
Having a union that is allowed to start a strike without warning and defined start and end dates is a major risk of stability to an airline customer.
As it is now seems to me that the outside union is allowed to continue the strike indefinitely. That has never happened in US-based airlines despite the strong unions.

Originally Posted by gilboman
I don't think you know what democracy means if you think it means there's no place for collective bargaining in a democracy. You're thinking of state controlled communism economy that will remove uniones
all western democracies have strong unions unless you consider North America and western Europe to not be democracies?
Bill Clinton blocked an airline pilot strike in 1997 in 24 minutes: (He also helped with the ending of the 5 day 1993 AA FA strike, which was planned for 11 days, not indefinitely)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:15 am

ex-TWN Cancellations from 6/20 to 7/19. Outstations may be dated through 7/21.
There may be flights resumed in 4 digits but most are not listed.

This newest schedule release includes flight changes/resumptions for:

1. Taipei-Sapporo early morning cancelled and resumed the morning flight instead.
2. Taipei-Bangkok-Amsterdam resumed.
3. Taipei-Toronto resumed.
4. Taipei-Vienna resumed.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:57 am

I had issues getting through to a bunch of the local ticket offices in North America. After 1 hour I was able to get through to LA ticket office fyi for those trying to call and rebook for the newly cancelled flights.
FlyerDigits likes this.

Last edited by seaflying; Jul 2, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
ex-TWN Cancellations from 6/20 to 7/19. Outstations may be dated through 7/21.
There may be flights resumed in 4 digits but most are not listed.
Looks like TPE-ORD is not profitable. Morning LAX BR6 and SFO BR8 are not either. Lots of cancellation.

Flights are gradually coming back to schedule. Good for summer travelers. Are FAs slowly coming back to work from strike?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.