Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by adamak
My 7/17 JFK-TPE flights were not posted as cancelled as of today. Is there any chance they'll add more flights to the cancellation list after next round of talk?
I doubt it especially as the list has been published and more FAs seem to be returning. JFK has only been cancelled the first couple days of the strike so I think they will make every effort to keep it flying. I'm flying TPE-JFK in a couple weeks so been monitoring the flights closely. Seems to be delayed often but at least it operates.
adamak likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by mgm321
Does anyone have any reports of service levels, especially in business? Have they been at all improving since they are restoring more and more flights?
Just did BR25 in business and everything was pretty standard. They had the normal number of choices for meals, but they said it was reduced ex-TPE. There were 13 FAs (missing 2)— L1, 5 in RL, 2 in PE, and 5 in EY. L2 was a CP who was on standby. Only 1 AP (R1) was really an AP, so she had to show the CAs what to do up front.

Chatted with them a bit, and they said they’re disappointed in the leaders of the union. I think there’s more animosity from the non-strikers towards the strikers vs the other way around. But, they did say it is a bit annoying getting to work because they get heckled. So, they wear masks and take cabs directly to the front door in the Nankan office to avoid the confrontation.

Overall, it was a good flight with good service.
tropikey and Greg33 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BlackHappy

Just did BR25 in business and everything was pretty standard. They had the normal number of choices for meals, but they said it was reduced ex-TPE. There were 13 FAs (missing 2)— L1, 5 in RL, 2 in PE, and 5 in EY. L2 was a CP who was on standby. Only 1 AP (R1) was really an AP, so she had to show the CAs what to do up front.

Chatted with them a bit, and they said they’re disappointed in the leaders of the union. I think there’s more animosity from the non-strikers towards the strikers vs the other way around. But, they did say it is a bit annoying getting to work because they get heckled. So, they wear masks and take cabs directly to the front door in the Nankan office to avoid the confrontation.

good to know...am flying LAX-TPE this sunday. Hopefully flight wont be cancelled and service will be decent.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The service cuts are more noticeable on the short routes than the long ones. Was on BR225 and it was evident the crew were extremely inexperienced with J service but they still did the best they could. Meal options reduced to the two casserole dishes and the DTF was eliminated. Hats off to these crew members for doing their job and coming back. Some of them said they felt like they were sold out by the union leadership.
tai4de2 and Taten_R.O.C. like this.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jul 3, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador

Thanks for the report. I'll be on this flight tonight in J and it's good to know they're trying to get back to normal.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Have a friend who was flying YVR-TPE-MNL in Premium Economy, they canceled her flight and rebooked her on PR in economy, what a joke, hope if yours is canceled they do better for you. Update, she called and complained to BR about the PR rebooking, and they then booked her in Premium Economy on NH. Hope all works out for you.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: EVA/*A Gold ※ IHG Platinum ※ Hertz PC

Thanks for the info BlackHappy. This is a reassuring. I'm scheduled on Royal Laurel on BR26 (TPE to SEA) in about a week so it's good to know they're making efforts to return to normal service.

Not sure if anyone at EVA ever reads these posts here, but kudos to all the customer service personnel handling the phones over the past several days. Had to call their Taipei office a few times regarding various issues and the maximum hold time was twelve minutes. Everyone I dealt with was extremely helpful and apologetic and no doubt they've been on the receiving end of some misguided anger during this strike situation.
yjc281, kq747 and RaginPlainsman like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kq747
BR27 should operate on Wednesday and Sunday next week according to the published schedule above otherwise it is probably cancelled and EVA should be able to rebook you if you call them (poster above waited for 3 hours on hold for US Customer Service but was rebooked so maybe call Taiwan if dont want to wait for that long?) or go to an office if you can
1. Local office is best bet.
2. Taiwan call center is also good option now. I was able to change my TPE-HKG after on hold for 5 minutes.
3. US call center is still swamped

Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
I was on BR11 7/1.

RL was full and there were 2 CP and 3 very junior attendant. I decided to have light meal so that they can serve other customer better. Majority of frequent flyers were very accommodating and even helping out. I was very happy with my junior attendant (it was her 2nd trip serving C). That junior attendant has much better attitude and worked harder than typical BR crew.

I connected to BR867 which had 4 CP in the crew. Two of them are ground instructor. But it was an excellent flight.

I really hope those spoiled princess don’t come back.

Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispykrme
I really hope those spoiled princess don’t come back.
UDN had an article where they interviewed 3 FAs who went back to work. At least based on face value, the FAs said they were lead into voting for yes and strike by senior people who recounted how BR has mistreated them over the years....and that they were sorry they did this, inconvenienced the passengers, caused the company to lose money and will work harder to make it up.

Remember, it is society that is heavy on peer pressure and conformance. I bet there are still many who are still striking because of peer pressure. So, I think many of them will be OK when they return. My concern is really the rest + the harmony between the FAs, which will affect service. On top of that, if so many of them are either physically or mentally not healthy due to allegedly how BR treated them, then they should really not be FAs.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Has anyone seen meal selections come back for their flights?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Has anyone seen meal selections come back for their flights?
yeah , i can book special meals but not exclusive meals for my sunday la-tpe flight
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
yeah , i can book special meals but not exclusive meals for my sunday la-tpe flight
Ya, I can see that as well. I was hoping that I could order an exclusive meal prior to my flight on the 13th
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I just landed on br25 from SEA-TPE. Pretty much full in the front cabin of J, and even with only 3 dedicated FAs service did not seem to suffer much. There were only some smaller details I could notice such as no menus, only 2 options for meals, no proactive offer to make up the bed. Otherwise it was a pretty typical flight. You could tell that they were short staff as many of the FAs seemed to be moving through the cabin quickly, almost at a slight jog.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Anyone Experience a Cancellation?

It seems like most of you on this thread were able to get on your flight. Has anyone on this thread been denied boarding or had their flights cancelled? How did they accommodate you if your flight was cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.