Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA Air Royal Laurel Meals 2013 - 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Uncanadiancanadian

I feel BR needs to improve their FA's english but all in all, I'll still fly them. This last incident with them in (where?) LA? where ATC messed them up - that has me concerned, but other than that, I feel their flight crews are OK. They fly in some harsh conditions (TPE in typhoon season) and do better than the Asiana's of the world
BR is the last airline in Asia that needs to teach english at recurrent training for FA's.

I can barely speak mandarin but fluent in Cantonese. As an result I always speak english with BR FA's. However every other airline out there has an language barrier but that's cultural. (NH/JL/OZ/KE/CA/etc)
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BR started aiming really high and was extremely innovative as elitetraveler outlined. They had bitter fights with CI for traffic authorities and even airport resources. Then they did go through a period of mediocrity.

They did miss an opportunity when they came out with PL when the best airlines had lie-flat C already. That got made up with RL - it is very good but years late. However, still ahead of CI. Now CI's revamped Business Class seems to be somewhat better than BR's but BR's is still very good. That is competition!

Their selection and use of the 77W really helped them on TPAC in recent years. Obviously CI played catch up on that as their high-volume 744 strategy did not work so well when fuel prices went way up.

The older Chang did not want a frequent flyer program nor did he want to join an alliance. The former changed really fast in 1993 and the latter did not change until recent years. I think CI is definitely more progressive on these fronts. CI also does not have the sexist policy of only using female flight attendants.

I think BR has somewhat over expanded. The cabin service is not as good and, I was told by the FAs, that the TPAC load is not that good except for peak periods (summer, Christmas).

When they started, they were aiming for direct flights between Taiwan and Mainland to open up. That took much longer to materialize than they had hoped due to political reasons. They had a rich parent company back then. I see them in a similar situation now. All the 777s and 787s coming on line but transitting of Mainland passengers won't happen for a while due to the poor relationship between Taiwan and Mainland. They are now a publicly-traded company and the family situation is much more complicated. So, it is no wonder they are cost-cutting.

To me, other than Star Alliance, the biggest reason for flying BR instead of CI is their safety record. It is an extremely disciplined company. However, as I said, recent events worry me. The employees can't feel good with all the family feuding.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by username

To me, other than Star Alliance, the biggest reason for flying BR instead of CI is their safety record. It is an extremely disciplined company. However, as I said, recent events worry me. The employees can't feel good with all the family feuding.
CI has really stepped up their product recently - stellar new business class and a much nicer PE than BR (plus the diverse inflight crew offers more eye candy options) - now if they can keep their pilots from doing stupid things and crashing planes, then they might have something.

BR, on the other hand, has a marketing opportunity they are in the process of fumbling - with UA cutting back on SE Asia connections via NRT and HKG, and CI yet to recognize or capitalize on the opportunity, BR should be marketing themselves, and TPE, as the de facto gateway to SE Asia for all North America/Europe traffic.

AA/CX is overpriced via HKG, and JAL still requires very long connections via NRT.

Delta's only partners in Asia are sub-standard mainland Chinese airlines, and recognizing this fact, they are focused on O/D flights from SEA which can't reach places like SIN, SGN, BKK, etc.

So, the opportunity is there to showcase the quick, simple connections at TPE (much easier than NRT or HKG) and shorter second-hop onward flights to SE Asia destinations. They can also begin poaching US-HKG traffic by undercutting business and PE fares from AA/CX in exchange for a quick connect at TPE.

BR has the product and infrastructure to pull this off - but with the loss of their innovative CEO, I have a feeling the entire organization will begin retreating into failure mode - cue the sad tale of HTC.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:41 am

Yes unfortunately for me BR is the best option when connecting.

IAH-HKG is
IAH-TPE-HKG
11pm departure, arrives TPE at 6am, leaves TPE at 7am, arrives HKG 8am.

It's like the best if not perfect way to recover your jet lag on the 1st day.

CA doesn't get into HKG until almost noon and has an early arrival into PEK.
NH/KE has an terrible morning flight, arriving HKG in the evening.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
BR, on the other hand, has a marketing opportunity they are in the process of fumbling - with UA cutting back on SE Asia connections via NRT and HKG, and CI yet to recognize or capitalize on the opportunity, BR should be marketing themselves, and TPE, as the de facto gateway to SE Asia for all North America/Europe traffic.
As someone who lives in BKK but travels to the US frequently, BR has been my go to since TG cancelled flights to the US. Over the last year or so, BR marketing has been everywhere in Bangkok; in fact I just saw a big LED advertisement in Bangkok's top shopping mall (Siam Paragon) just this morning which advertised BR as the best/fastest way to get to the US.

While I can't speak for other SEA markets, all signs point to BR doing a great job catering to US bound travelers in BKK.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planr
As someone who lives in BKK but travels to the US frequently, BR has been my go to since TG cancelled flights to the US. Over the last year or so, BR marketing has been everywhere in Bangkok; in fact I just saw a big LED advertisement in Bangkok's top shopping mall (Siam Paragon) just this morning which advertised BR as the best/fastest way to get to the US.

While I can't speak for other SEA markets, all signs point to BR doing a great job catering to US bound travelers in BKK.
I think that IS their strategy. With the morning departures out of TPE and some US gateways and another bank to/from some SE Asian destinations, they are really expanding.

You wonder what happens when these airlines (e.g. VN, TG, MH) have the capabilities. (Like how UA and DL retreated as the TW and other Asian carriers expanded the last 20 years.)

It seems CI is focusing on Kangaroo Routes and BR is TPAC.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
The online meal order just opened up for my flight on BR 56.

I love that they have this option for meals (more than 10 options for dinner is awesome) but on the meal prior to landing, the only Western option is a pumpkin quiche. Seriously? I'm not saying have more options but certainly there are better Western options out there.

/whiningover
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
The online meal order just opened up for my flight on BR 56.

I love that they have this option for meals (more than 10 options for dinner is awesome) but on the meal prior to landing, the only Western option is a pumpkin quiche. Seriously? I'm not saying have more options but certainly there are better Western options out there.

/whiningover
You can ask for Beef Burger for the refreshing meal prior to landing (its dinner time anyway).
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:07 am

BR35 January 8, 2017:

Supper:
Grilled Prime Beef Tenderloin with Chimichurri Sauce Served with Vegetables and Potatoes

Chicken Wrapped with Prosciutto with Bearnaise Sauce Served with Vegetables and Quinoa

Tan Tze Noodle Served with Lotus Root and Shimeji Mushroom

*Exclusive Stir Fried Lobster with XO Sauce Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Egg Fried Rice

*Exclusive Sea Bass with Ginger Onion Sauce Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Steamed Rice

*Exclusive Grilled Medallion Veal Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Pasta Cavatappi Lobster with Cheese

*Exclusive Lobster Thermidor Served with Seasonal Vegetables and Mixed Wild Rice

*Exclusive Potato Crusted Salmon Served with Seasonal Vegetables

Breakfast:

Asparagus and Brie Omelette with Chicken Sausage

Plain Congee with Delicatessens and Egg Pancake with Shiitake Mushroom, Stir Fried King Oyster with Julienne Pork

Zucchini and Squash Quiche with Grilled Canadian Bacon
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
TPE/SFO meal choice

First time on EVA. Here are my meal choices, I can use an opinion from you know it alls! :-)
I don't eat beef, so that's out, don't know the sauces for the seafood but like those options. Anybody had the abalone?

Grilled USDA Prime Beef Fillet with Crystal Salt or Garlic and Anchovy Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Potatoes with Rosemary

Pork Medallion Topped with Walnut and Herb Crust with Black Pepper Brown Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Buttered Penne Pasta

Braised Abalone and Sea Cucumber with Ginger and Scallion in Superior Soy Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Savoury Rice with Pak Choy

ExclusiveGrilled Prime Beef Fillet Steak with Herb Maderia Sauce, Served with Mixed Vegatables and Duchesse Potatos

ExclusiveRack of Lamb Cutlet Coated with Lime Herb Crust with Rosemary Sauce, Served with Mixed Vegetables and Red Skin Potatoes

ExclusivePan Fried Duck Breast Served with Grand Marnier Sauce with Orange Zest and Mixed Vegetables,Gratinated Red Skin Potatos

ExclusiveSauteed Seafood With Cardinal Sauce,Served with Mixed Vegetables and Pilaff Rice

ExclusiveWok Fried Grouper Fish Fillet with Superior Crab Roe Sauce,Served with Mixed Vegetables and Noodles

ExclusiveRoasted Pork Spareribs with Honey Pommery Mustard Sauce,Served with Mixed Vegetables and Mashed Potatos

ExclusiveBraised Pork Tendon and Bailing-King Oyster Mushroom In Superior Soy Sauce,Served with Mixed Vegetables and Monacolink Rice

ExclusiveAssorted Mushroom with Red Date and Ginkonut In Lotus Leaf Parcel Served with Mixed Vegetables and Steamed Rice with Pearl Barley

ExclusiveSauteed Seafood with Gremolata Sauce Served with Truffle and Mushroom Risotto and Mixed Vegetables

ExclusiveHealthy Vegetarian Burger Served with Vegetables and French Fries
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:19 pm

Oooh no lobster SFO
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Oooh no lobster SFO
I know, so I need some recommendation here!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:26 pm

If this is real abalone and real sea cucumber I'd go for it.

Braised Abalone and Sea Cucumber with Ginger and Scallion in Superior Soy Sauce Served with Mixed Vegetables and Savoury Rice with Pak Choy
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
If this is real abalone and real sea cucumber I'd go for it.

That is what I would pick too but most westerners are grossed out by sea cucumbers...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The abalone is a new item. Idk if a westerner would eat sea cucumber though. They hate the texture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.