Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates COVID test and other questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Originally Posted by pilot04
Fyi, Emirates updated their website today.

Exemptions

The following categories of travellers are exempt from the pre‑departure COVID‑19 PCR testing requirement:
  • All Passengers and airline crew travelling to the Maldives are exempted from pre‑entry PCR requirement, if they have completed the prescribed dose(s) of a COVID‑ l9 Vaccine approved by the World Health organization in Emergency Use Listing (EUL) or the Maldives Food and Drug Authority and at least 14 (fourteen) days have passed after the prescribed doses(s), Prior to entry into the Maldives.
  • Children below one year old
  • Flight crew arriving on General Declaration and not exceeding a stay of 7 days
Passengers who have recovered from COVID‑19
Good to hear, although our reservation (for Friday) still doesn't have these exemptions...
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by SvenB1414
Good to hear, although our reservation (for Friday) still doesn't have these exemptions...

Maybe it'll update for you soon as the Emirate webpage was not updated till this morning based on the timestamp circled in snippet.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:47 pm

I was nervous about the QR code, but I found out if you've taken your vaccine at CVS, they have a QR code receipt on the vaccination record. You can access this online, and it is provided immediately. I imagine that most other clinics are the same.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Couple weeks ago we flew ORD - SEZ with a stopover in Dubai. US citizens, CDC vaccine cards (no QR), and negative covid test printouts (no QR code). No issues or questions.
Rapid antigen taken < 24hrs before departing SEZ (result included QR code but it was never scanned, agent barely looked up at the result on Apple wallet at bag drop).
Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:31 am

The Emirates website recommends getting to the airports 4 hours before the flight to get all the paperwork straight. Does anyone have experience with a more reasonable arrival time than this. Two hours seems like it should be enough. ?
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
The Emirates website recommends getting to the airports 4 hours before the flight to get all the paperwork straight. Does anyone have experience with a more reasonable arrival time than this. Two hours seems like it should be enough. ?
4 hours they are full of it. We had to book separate positioning flights before our EK legs and I budgeted plenty of "just in case" time. We were nearly the first ones in line to check bags at ORD T5, the full four hours in advance. They didn't open the counters until more like 3.5hrs before and even then, it took us ~5min. At SEZ, the counters open 3 hours before, even though, again, it says be there 4 hours before...

2 hours *should be enough* but even knowing what I know, I might err more on the side of caution and allow 2.5 or even 3.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Might depend on where you are departing. We stopped by the LAX Emirates counters the day before our departure to ask about COVID stuff. It was 1:15. Flight departs 3:35. The line was unbelievably long. Wrapped up around the corner and people still coming. Been moving pretty good, but they still need to clear security and make it to the gate. Looks like they might clear it by 2ish, but I wouldn't want to cut it close. Is get there at least 3 hrs early, if not 4.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Might depend on where you are departing. We stopped by the LAX Emirates counters the day before our departure to ask about COVID stuff. It was 1:15. Flight departs 3:35. The line was unbelievably long. Wrapped up around the corner and people still coming. Been moving pretty good, but they still need to clear security and make it to the gate. Looks like they might clear it by 2ish, but I wouldn't want to cut it close. Is get there at least 3 hrs early, if not 4.
IAD
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Not sure this is the appropriate thread - but, question about PCR requirements ..... I would return from Tanzania in April to India (i think I can just upload my Covishield Vaccination certificate onto the Indian portal ) before the flight? Which means I don't need to go through the ordeal of a PCR??

Tanzania is not on the 82 country list (for India) for approval of vaccination certificates - but, I am to believe that only applies to Tanzanians and not for Indian citizens who've been vaccinated in India or any of the 82 approved countries?? Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: EY
I agree. Usually we are one of the first people in line 3 to 4 hours before the flight. An hour or so later and the line wrapped through the terminal. I would rather spend my time in the lounge than the line when flying economy, so I get there early.
tpsmith82 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, SQ Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by libuser
flying DXB-IAD in 4 days. Flight departs at 2:24AM. Do I need to get covid tested and results in hand on the previous day? Given that the flight is super early would they take results from a test taken 2 calendar days before the flight? I.e. get tested 2 days before and obtaining the results one day before the flight? Or would I have to shell for fast pcr and get tested and get results on the day before the flight?
Sadly timatic is not clear on what happens for those super early flights - if one calendar day is really the previous day or the previous 2 days
I'll be on this same flight next week, was wondering what you sorted for your test and if you established whether it's strictly required the calendar day before or they'll allow an extra day given the departure time?

Cheers
Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is great news! We plan to depart in less than 2 weeks and this will save nearly $400 and most importantly make travel much more certain.

The website is quite vague on what will be accepted for QR code. We did get the EU qr code from Switzerland for our travels in Europe. I would assume those would work??? Guess I'll check at Walgreens to see what they offer.

Would be wonderful if someone might update with experience when departing a EK USA gateway.
Just an update on our LAX departure. We went in the day before and wanted to double check with the EK counters about QR code requirements. I was assured as long as Dubai was our final destination and traveling as vaccinated US passport holders we would no need a QR code.

When we went to check in the following day, everything went smoothly. Counter agent simply asked for our paper CDC vaccination cards and took a quick look. No QR code needed. Also nothing was checked upon arrival in DXB.
houstr8male and wooootles like this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Hey, following up also. Just checked in JFK-DXB. Just looked at passport, cdc card (2x vax), and good to go, no fuss.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Emirates, Jet Blue, United, IHG
Reassuring to know since I am about to head out same trip this weekend, and hoping the vaccine will be enough. Curious to know, if anyone has come back to confirm again, that Emirates (is what I'm flying) is sticking to wanting a PCR test for a flight to the US? (DXB to JFK) Was hoping to get away with antigen. Seems I've read some reports here that even when people pointed out antigen was fine, Emirates wanted PCR when checking in at DXB.
batmandds likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by pallas
Reassuring to know since I am about to head out same trip this weekend, and hoping the vaccine will be enough. Curious to know, if anyone has come back to confirm again, that Emirates (is what I'm flying) is sticking to wanting a PCR test for a flight to the US? (DXB to JFK) Was hoping to get away with antigen. Seems I've read some reports here that even when people pointed out antigen was fine, Emirates wanted PCR when checking in at DXB.
yes. I get an email for online attestation form that you have PCR test, once in the check-in period. Also, on check in they will specifically ask if you have the PCR negative. No one scanned the qr. FWIW I paid for a 5-hr PCR (got it in 6hrs just a warning) with nearly the same price as an antigen in ZRH.

hope this helps. I am seeing that Emirates doesn’t clearly spell out what’s required so I try to help with my recent experiences here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.