Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by ASismyfav

Yea I know who I am. A passenger that just missed his flight and just wanted to get on the next one. Wow, how arrogant of me.
Why were 10 other people able to make that flight without issues?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:42 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kb9522

Why were 10 other people able to make that flight without issues?
Gonna give OP the benefit of the doubt that I think people keep forgetting. He was on a bus that got in an accident, which delayed him even further. Its possible those 10 people who made the connection were not on that bus and not affected by that accident. If the bus never got in the accident, he would have made the flight no problem. Sure, if he took the F bus in the first place none of this would even be considered. But I think its a bit unfair to blame OP for the bus getting into the accident which eventually caused him to miss the flight.

I still stand by my first guess that EK was less willing to help because it was an AS award. If I was on a paid F ticket JFK-DXB-MEL I just don't see it having been this difficult to get put on the next flight.
ASismyfav likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
Gonna give OP the benefit of the doubt that I think people keep forgetting. He was on a bus that got in an accident, which delayed him even further. Its possible those 10 people who made the connection were not on that bus and not affected by that accident. If the bus never got in the accident, he would have made the flight no problem. Sure, if he took the F bus in the first place none of this would even be considered. But I think its a bit unfair to blame OP for the bus getting into the accident which eventually caused him to miss the flight.

I still stand by my first guess that EK was less willing to help because it was an AS award. If I was on a paid F ticket JFK-DXB-MEL I just don't see it having been this difficult to get put on the next flight.
I didn't forget. Those other 10 people were, presumably, on the correct bus... OP was not. There were numerous ways for OP to avoid these circumstances.

By the way, did EK cause the accident?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Forces outside of your control is irrelevant. What is relevant are forces within EKs control.

Your frustration should be with the airport, not the carrier, and even then it shouldn't be thread worthy - 10 other people didn't have any issues. Regardless, the carrier was not obligated to provide anything at all... so any accommodation would incur excess costs. Sorry, you're still wrong... no matter how hard you huff and puff and stomp your feet.

If your behavior here is any indication of how you interacted with staff, I'm shocked and disappointed anyone accommodated you at all.
im with you! I don’t want any accommodations, or anything else. All I wanted to was to be put on the next flight to get to where I had a ticket to go.

If thats huffing and puffing, sorry.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:48 pm

I don’t want any accommodations, or anything else. All I wanted to was to be put on the next flight to get to where I had a ticket to go.
What you're asking for is an accommodation. The contract your ticket represented was completed when you failed to arrive at the gate in time and EK denied boarding pursuant to that contract.

You would have been able to get on the next flight had there been space and you paid the fare for that new ticket.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Sorry folks I left my Chrystal ball at home.

Obviously had I known that bus would be in an accident or near the accident, and that wasn’t the bus to take, I wouldn’t have gone on it.

I did the best I could with the circumstances I had. What I don’t understand is why is asking to be put on the next flight 45 minutes later such a big deal? Why do people have such a problem with this request? What was I suppose to do?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:00 pm

Sorry folks I left my Chrystal ball at home.

Obviously had I known that bus would be in an accident or near the accident, and that wasn’t the bus to take, I wouldn’t have gone on it.

I did the best I could with the circumstances I had. What I don’t understand is why is asking to be put on the next flight 45 minutes later such a big deal? Why do people have such a problem with this request? What was I suppose to do?
Nobody is denying that what happened was unfortunate. What I'm saying is that EK is not liable. Period.

And what's more, you ended up in the unfortunate situation as a result of a number of poor decisions on your part.

Stop getting hyperfocused on the fact that you didn't get what you wanted and move on. EK did not do anything wrong here and by no means should incur costs because of what happened.

As to the question of what you should have done? Use the lav before descent, ask the FA or ground staff which bus you should have gotten on, gotten a flight with a longer layover, etc. Barring all of that, you should have asked the supervisor if you could purchase a seat on the next flight.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If the plane is there to go to my final destination, and I can make it, and there is enough time, why is asking EK to put me on the flight arrogant?

is there a possible cultural difference here? Because in America this is a no brainer to help someone who misses a flight. So I don’t understand. Asking to be put on a flight to where you’re suppose to be going, when there is enough time, is not asking for special treatment, at least not in America.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
I’m sure had super :-: MEL been the duty manager when you arrived at DXB, she would have mopped your fevered brow, said there, there and calmly sort things out for you.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
I’m sure had super :-: MEL been the duty manager when you arrived at DXB, she would have mopped your fevered brow, said there, there and calmly sort things out for you.
Wrong. I watch the show, and I specifically asked to speak to her. They claimed it was her day off.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I’ve got a bit of sympathy here - guy needs a piss after drinkin*/too much Dom (I’ve never done this ever)

gets on the j bus (I’ve not done that if in F) - bus has an accident and causes the delay leading to the missed days connection.

ek have were not initially helpful - I blame this on this being a reward seat as if you were on paid f or skywards rewards I’m convinced you’d have been looked after better.

what the OP did wrong was book a 1.10 connection (not exactly his fault if EK ticket it - if you don’t know Dxb you don’t know right?)

i have sympathy- what happened in the end?
Stez and ASismyfav like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Got my own hotel, AS re-booked me onto the 3am flight.

Also for the record it was water. I don’t drink on planes.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: Amex/SPG
Such sanctimony in this thread. OP, I think you're due a modicum of sympathy. Airports are complex, confusing spaces, and we're frequently placed in situations that require good decision making in short spaces of time, and most airline staff, in my experience, understand this. You made some errors, which it seems like you're freely admitting. Combined with that, there was an accident on a bus which you had every reasonable expectation of helping you get to your destination in plenty of time!

I'd feel very disappointed if I'd received the treatment you received from the airline staff. I'd complain to their customer service at a minimum – no customer should be treated like that, irrespective of who was ultimately at fault.
UAEBANDIT and ASismyfav like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Nobody is denying that what happened was unfortunate. What I'm saying is that EK is not liable. Period.

And what's more, you ended up in the unfortunate situation as a result of a number of poor decisions on your part.

Stop getting hyperfocused on the fact that you didn't get what you wanted and move on. EK did not do anything wrong here and by no means should incur costs because of what happened.

As to the question of what you should have done? Use the lav before descent, ask the FA or ground staff which bus you should have gotten on, gotten a flight with a longer layover, etc. Barring all of that, you should have asked the supervisor if you could purchase a seat on the next flight.

I find your whole set of posts in response to the OP not only incorrect in many instances but devoid of reality.

I don't see where OP made much in the way of poor decisions. Ground services at DXB provide buses to the terminal. OP got on one of those buses. Due to an incident at the airport his bus was delayed by 45 minutes causing him to misconnect. 100% of people, in a right state of mind, would not consider this their fault and go buy a new ticket and accept they were at fault for no-showing their next segment. No way you are convincing anybody of that. Emirates pays for those ground services and those ground services caused his delay, so for sure Emirates has some liability. Emirates liability doesn't stop as soon as they touch-down in Dubai, there is liability to get the passenger to the terminal so they can go to their next flight. Any of the buses that were provided for passengers should be adequate to get to the terminal in time. It was the accident that caused the real delay and just happenstance that the "F" bus wasn't delayed (that we know of, maybe it was) vs his bus that was, it could just have easily been the other way around.

Your suggestion to OP that he should have asked the supervisor if he could purchase a ticket on the next flight is just laughable and ridiculous.

Then the idea that EK did nothing wrong is equally ridiculous. The way the supervisor talked to the OP is WRONG. PERIOD. I believe the OP because I have lived through the incredibly poor and arrogant customer service at DXB (and AUH and DOH and MCT), and I wasn't traveling on an award but in full-fare paid F. IRROPS handling and customer service in general at any of the ME3 is just an abysmal experience which I dread the thought of, they make it as absolutely painful as possible with ZERO compassion and/or sensibility, it is 100% by the book with front-line people including supervisors having no authority to deviate even one iota, no matter how much sense it makes.
Stez, m3red, Saltire74 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Like Whimike stated. Additionally, what if he got on the right bus but was delayed because of the accident, would you all be saying the same thing? OP explained he has some blame he got on the wrong bus, but even then, he still would have made his flight if not for a 45 minute delay, you act like he got on the wrong bus knowing it would get into a time delaying accident.
ASismyfav likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.