Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ASismyfav

I agree obviously every customer should be treated with respect and help. But by the same token I think they have a more serious commitment to their first class passengers, otherwise why have different classes of service in the first place?

There was room, and they had space on the 10:05. I was in line at 9:30 and told them of the situation. Instead of just saying “we don’t know what happened, and there was an accident that got you stuck on the apron, lets just put you on the 10:05 and on your way since its unclear what really happened.” Which by the way is their metal, so it’s not like they’re losing money and having to pay another carrier.

Instead of doing what made sense, they chose to take that precious 30 min time we had and make a ruling that I was a “no show” and let the plane leave. Why on earth would they do that? That’s not Customer Service nor common sense.

So that is why I wanna file a DOT complaint so that EK is held accountable and doesn’t think they can treat passengers that way.
How will the DOT hold them to account? It's a he said/she said situation unless you have proof?

1. You admit to missing the designated bus for your class of service because you were using the lavatory
2. You claim that your destination didn't appear on the sign being held and ended up in concourse A. In my experience the bus which has the destinations listed goes to A and the other to B/C depending on stand location, however I can imagine this might be reversed for a northerly stand near the royal terminal, so not much of a point there. It is highly likely that MEL was listed, but you missed it, I often stop and take a few seconds to read through the destinations, the signs sometimes also specify "Concourse A" or "B and C" at the bottom with a black arrow - you could've checked your connecting gate prior to arrival on the IFE (which you might have done, unclear)
3. You claim there was an accident - is there proof? If not, the DOT won't enforce anything on a non-US carrier for a disputed event that took place far away from US soil
4. EK delayed reticketing and didn't treat your nicely at the customer service desk - by this I assume you mean the transfer desk in concourse B behind the duty free shops in the center of the terminal opposite the elevators - did you consider approaching the transfer counter before security where the bus dropped you off (signs indicating "Passengers with boarding pass" and pointing to security and "Passengers without boarding pass" pointing to counters, incl. dedicated F counters) to point out your delay and the reasons and that you could try make the flight or if they thought that wouldn't be possible if they can rebook you then and there
5. Your ticket being AS-issued likely lead to the EK staff seeing that as an easy way out for them to not have to re-ticket you. The fact other pax made it may also have disciplinary consequences for them as they may be quizzed why they didn't class it as no-show, especially for a non-EK ticket, given other pax made the connection, this would lead to internal explanations and back and forth which they might have wanted to avoid. Not an excuse, merely a possible explanation.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
if you didn't see your destinations on the connecting signs for the business class buses, why did you choose to board one of those buses without asking an employee which one you should board, or whether you should wait for another bus?

did you advise the cabin crew in F that you were using the lav after gate arrival? they might have been able to do something to delay the departure of the F bus, or at least help you make sure you go on the right bus later in the sequence.

while i am sympathetic to some extent with your plight and agree that EK could have done more for you after you misconnected, there seems to be a few things that could have been done differently from your end as well.
The F staff did know I was in the bathroom and did not hold the bus for me.

The reason I chose the J bus that I did was because the guy at the bottom of the stairs had all these destinations on a sign shepherding passengers going to those cities listed on his sign on that J bus. SIN and MEL were not on his sign, so I took the other bus which made sense to me.

I suppose I could’ve been a bit more proactive and ensured the bus was right I was getting on, but I really had no reason at that time whatsoever to think I was boarding the wrong bus.

I do not believe I am totally innocent, and Emirates totally guilty. We equally have some blame to an extent. The difference, at least in my opinion, is EK had the chance to make things right with a snap of the finger. But instead chose to ridicule me, and put me in a terrible condition that could’ve been easily fixed. Why do that to a passenger when you can help them? That’s what gets me angry.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AntonS
I think EK supervisor did not have easy tools to revert no-show and take back control of your ticket from AS, so he tried to put all blame on you.
This is certainly very possible. I could not understand for the life of me why he was so intent on being so mean and deeming me a “no show.” The argument started to get quite petty, and juvenile. So yes this is certainly a possible theory.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522

I didn't say it was your plan, but you did make choices that led to the circumstances of this event. As you said, 10 others had no issue making the flight.

I think it is you missing the point. Your frustration with the carrier was misplaced... they did not do anything that prevented you from making your flight on time. There is no reason for them to feel obligated to potentially bend over backwards to accomodate you. To suggest otherwise screams DYKWIA. They got you to the airport ahead of schedule, after all.

I’d hardly call it “bend over backwards” to put a misconnect passenger on the next direct flight. I’d call that the right thing to do and it’s commonplace.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The question is not whether it is OP's fault, it is whether it is EK's fault. It is not.

A carrier causing a misconnect is responsible for a reroute. That is, EK if EK caused the misconnect. Otherwise, if any carrier is responsible, it is the ticketing carrier and that was AS. That is because AS understands the rules of its ticket, what value if any, the ticket retains and whether any fees ought to be collected. EK has no clue about that nor should it.

What OP believes was the staffer he does not like assessing blame was more likely that person explaining that EK was not responsible for the reroute. Perhaps better to simply tell OP to call AS, but nothing is perfect.

A DOT complaint is useless and will go nowhere. There is nothing for DOT to do as EK did not violate any US law and DOT enforces US law.
Silver Fox and garykung like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
How will the DOT hold them to account? It's a he said/she said situation unless you have proof?

1. You admit to missing the designated bus for your class of service because you were using the lavatory
2. You claim that your destination didn't appear on the sign being held and ended up in concourse A. In my experience the bus which has the destinations listed goes to A and the other to B/C depending on stand location, however I can imagine this might be reversed for a northerly stand near the royal terminal, so not much of a point there. It is highly likely that MEL was listed, but you missed it, I often stop and take a few seconds to read through the destinations, the signs sometimes also specify "Concourse A" or "B and C" at the bottom with a black arrow - you could've checked your connecting gate prior to arrival on the IFE (which you might have done, unclear)
3. You claim there was an accident - is there proof? If not, the DOT won't enforce anything on a non-US carrier for a disputed event that took place far away from US soil
4. EK delayed reticketing and didn't treat your nicely at the customer service desk - by this I assume you mean the transfer desk in concourse B behind the duty free shops in the center of the terminal opposite the elevators - did you consider approaching the transfer counter before security where the bus dropped you off (signs indicating "Passengers with boarding pass" and pointing to security and "Passengers without boarding pass" pointing to counters, incl. dedicated F counters) to point out your delay and the reasons and that you could try make the flight or if they thought that wouldn't be possible if they can rebook you then and there
5. Your ticket being AS-issued likely lead to the EK staff seeing that as an easy way out for them to not have to re-ticket you. The fact other pax made it may also have disciplinary consequences for them as they may be quizzed why they didn't class it as no-show, especially for a non-EK ticket, given other pax made the connection, this would lead to internal explanations and back and forth which they might have wanted to avoid. Not an excuse, merely a possible explanation.
1. I missed the first class bus. This doesn’t and shouldn’t mean I’m doomed. People take the J and Y buses who are in F all the time.

2. I took a good 30 seconds to a minute to look at the sign. I’m 100% positive my destination was not on the sign and there were no letters.

3. Yes there’s proof. The airline supervisor and manager admitted that the accident had occurred. But they insisted it didn’t matter because I shouldn’t have been on that side of the airport anyway.

4. Yes when I got off the bus at 8:50, I actually did go to the connecting counter in that area before security and told an agent what was going on and that it may be wise to put me on the 10:05 flight before proceeding through security. She said I would make it and I needed to run, and she was calling the gate for me so they would not close early which is why I didn’t understand why the door and everything was done at 9:07 if they knew I was coming.

5. People keep bringing this up, and I too thought it was an AS issue, but it was never talked about that I had an Alaska ticket until the airport manager took me to the Reservation desk to rebook when it came up my ticket was AS booked. It’s possible the supervisor did notice it and did not want the headache? But then why offer me a flight to Singapore and asking me to buy a ticket from Singapore to MEL?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR

I’d hardly call it “bend over backwards” to put a misconnect passenger on the next direct flight. I’d call that the right thing to do and it’s commonplace.
And if you had paid the walk-up one way fare (assuming there was availability), they probably would have. You were a no-show from the carrier's perspective... they did not owe you anything.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This whole charade centers around playing the blame game. It’s a I said they said as people have pointed out.

But what is really upsetting to me is there didn’t have to be any blame to place on anyone. Or any arguments. Or any yelling. If the supervisor had just put me on the 10:05, called it a wash, all the blaming, yelling, and arguing would have been completely moot.barent these the kinds of decisions front line enployeees are suppose to make to help passengers?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:49 pm

Edit: Not worth it. This is clearly a DYKWIA situation.
Silver Fox, garykung and Eltham like this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The employee has an obligation to protect the financial interests of their employer. So no, he should not have just put you on the next flight.
Lol uhhh... ok If I already had a ticket confirmed and just missed it because of forces outside my control, how am I taking away from the “financial interests” of EK? In fact the 10:05 is Direct and does not make any stops. So I’d be saving Emirates money on fuel if you really wanna go down this route. Also I’d be saving them money on me eating two full meals DXB-SIN and again SIN-MEL. I’d even be saving them on water too because I’d only get to take one shower. Seems like the more cost efficient way to get me there. Also guess what? The customer would have been happy to boot. They are called “customer service” agents afterall for a reason.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Edit: Not worth it. This is clearly a DYKWIA situation.
Yea I know who I am. A passenger that just missed his flight and just wanted to get on the next one. Wow, how arrogant of me.
safari ari likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
all the blaming, yelling, and arguing would have been completely moot.
Interesting insight into your behaviour. I guess somewhat due to your embarrassment at having made mistakes.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eltham

Interesting insight into your behaviour. I guess somewhat due to your embarrassment at having made mistakes.
What behavior would that be? Trying to get on the next flight to my destination with the ticket I had?

Oh yes you caught me red-handed. I was so embarrassed by all my mistakes, I posted all of them in great detail for the whole frequent flyer community to see them.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:58 pm

The F staff did know I was in the bathroom and did not hold the bus for me.
lol
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:24 pm

Lol uhhh... ok If I already had a ticket confirmed and just missed it because of forces outside my control, how am I taking away from the “financial interests” of EK? In fact the 10:05 is Direct and does not make any stops. So I’d be saving Emirates money on fuel if you really wanna go down this route. Also I’d be saving them money on me eating two full meals DXB-SIN and again SIN-MEL. I’d even be saving them on water too because I’d only get to take one shower. Seems like the more cost efficient way to get me there. Also guess what? The customer would have been happy to boot. They are called “customer service” agents afterall for a reason.
Forces outside of your control is irrelevant. What is relevant are forces within EKs control.

Your frustration should be with the airport, not the carrier, and even then it shouldn't be thread worthy - 10 other people didn't have any issues. Regardless, the carrier was not obligated to provide anything at all... so any accommodation would incur excess costs. Sorry, you're still wrong... no matter how hard you huff and puff and stomp your feet.

If your behavior here is any indication of how you interacted with staff, I'm shocked and disappointed anyone accommodated you at all.

Last edited by kb9522; Jan 31, 2018 at 6:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.