Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ASismyfav
Really, are you serious? This isn’t JFK, it’s DXB. 99.5% of the apron traffic is EK or EK related.
That's nowhere near correct I'm afraid.

You keep adding more and more bits to the story which makes it difficult to piece together exactly what happened. Previously, you said that when you went to re-ticket, EK said "we can't touch that, as it's an AS ticket". What happened exactly after that? You got into an argument trying to make the agents change their minds? You said there was a queue, so I can understand the agents getting frustrated if you were blocking the queue.

Call me an EK apologist, but I don't really see what EK did wrong. Other people managed to get from the plane to their SIN flight without issues. From what it sounds like, you got on the correct bus for the SIN flight as it took you Concourse A, so I struggle to see how other people made it but you didn't.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Originally Posted by kb9522

OP's bus was not in an accident. There was an accident on the route. And you still have not explained how this is EK's fault. "It just is" is not an answer.

Sorry to break it to you, but in this case it is EK's problem to reaccomodate said PAX, it is a service EK uses to get PAX arround the airport. There is no other option, said PAX has to use this service, if this service breaks down and causes further issues, it is whatever groundservice EK uses that is at fault, but EK signed a contract with you and has the obligation to solve any issue this might have caused.

For instance if you use a CD that Emirates supplies through a 3rd party, and you end up being late because said car broke down, than EK surely will solve this matter for you. Eventhough it has 'nothing to do with EK being at fault'

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
From what it sounds like, you got on the correct bus for the SIN flight as it took you Concourse A, so I struggle to see how other people made it but you didn't.
OP was delayed for 40 minutes as busses had to wait to drive on because of an accident that happend on route.
ASismyfav likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by JasperT
For instance if you use a CD that Emirates supplies through a 3rd party, and you end up being late because said car broke down, than EK surely will solve this matter for you. Eventhough it has 'nothing to do with EK being at fault'.
They make a point in the Ts & Cs of saying they wont, although in practice they might be more accomodating (particularly at outstations).

OP. I told the tale here a while back of a mate that was in a similar situation to you in that EK called him a no show when others made a connection and he didn't. He had to pay to get a later flight. It sounds like you would have too if you hadn't been on a partner award and the partner sorted things out for you.

I think both of you have been caught by EK putting rules in place aimed at catching out those that deserve to pay the costs and it inevitably catches a few borderline cases by mistake. The rules don't allow for local staff to be flexible and that's where it falls down IMO, although I can see that allowing flexibility has it's own problems. My suggestion is that you put it behind you and use it as a learning experience that everything isn't like the USA. No amount of stamping your feet now will change things and if someone eventually does put their hands up and admit EK screwed up you'll get a few miles compensation and that's it. Is it worth raising your blood pressure over?
Saltire74 and JasperT like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I’ll call the Dubai Police who showed up, and get the police report. If it involves EK vehicles, will I be vindicated?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
They make a point in the Ts & Cs of saying they wont, although in practice they might be more accomodating (particularly at outstations).

OP. I told the tale here a while back of a mate that was in a similar situation to you in that EK called him a no show when others made a connection and he didn't. He had to pay to get a later flight. It sounds like you would have too if you hadn't been on a partner award and the partner sorted things out for you.

I think both of you have been caught by EK putting rules in place aimed at catching out those that deserve to pay the costs and it inevitably catches a few borderline cases by mistake. The rules don't allow for local staff to be flexible and that's where it falls down IMO, although I can see that allowing flexibility has it's own problems. My suggestion is that you put it behind you and use it as a learning experience that everything isn't like the USA. No amount of stamping your feet now will change things and if someone eventually does put their hands up and admit EK screwed up you'll get a few miles compensation and that's it. Is it worth raising your blood pressure over?
This is probably the best thing written in this entire thread, honestly.

But my blood pressure isn’t going up. I understand obviously they don’t use common sense logic, and they do not empower front line employees, unfortunately. My goal isn’t to get some miles or get mad. My goal is to draw attention to this matter. This was the most trending thread on Flyertalk. Maybe EK executives can see this and stop this abusive behavior by supervisors, give more power to front line employees to make common sense decisions, and maybe pick up a copy of Gordon Bethune’s book while they’re at it?

I dont believe in settling for the status quo, and I want to help anyway I can. I believe drawing attention to these kinds of situations, and outing companies for their bad behaviour is a good thing.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:21 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

This is probably the best thing written in this entire thread, honestly.

But my blood pressure isn’t going up. I understand obviously they don’t use common sense logic, and they do not empower front line employees, unfortunately. My goal isn’t to get some miles or get mad. My goal is to draw attention to this matter. This was the most trending thread on Flyertalk. Maybe EK executives can see this and stop this abusive behavior by supervisors, give more power to front line employees to make common sense decisions, and maybe pick up a copy of Gordon Bethune’s book while they’re at it?

I dont believe in settling for the status quo, and I want to help anyway I can. I believe drawing attention to these kinds of situations, and outing companies for their bad behaviour is a good thing.
The best advice I could offer is that you email EK Customer Services. Be concise, factual and without emotion. From there, they can do their own investigations and form a reply to your concerns. It may be in your favour, it may not. They may have had other complaints about the supervisor, they may not. They may have had other passengers miss connecting flights due to the airside accident , who knows?

You need to give some official feedback to EK first and then see how it is managed from there. In general, they are quite good at replying, but what that reply may entail, you won’t know unless you inform them first.

If if you do contact CS, please come back and let us know what the outcome was.

S

Last edited by Saltire74; Feb 1, 2018 at 5:27 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:14 am

Three comments in my opinion:

1. Yes, it is bad customer service whatever the legal T&C. The whole debate should not be about fault.
2. It is unnecessary to attack the poster on this in favor of suggesting a solution, which at this point is to follow the above advice and address EK customer service, but . . .
3. The personal description of the manager is inappropriate and places the OP down a hole before the discussion even begins.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

A concise complaint has been filed. It would be nice for Emirates to take notice, and empower their front line employees, like gate agents especially, and at the very least empower their supervisors to make smart common sense decisions.
m3red likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:49 am

When I read the comments from the OP I thought to myself that the attitude of EK staff was poor. Only one side of the story, but taking everything at face value I think the OP was right to feel hard done by. On reading a lot of the replies I have to say many of them are pretty mean and not particularly supportive, irrespective of the facts. It's OK to show a bit of empathy now and again.
m3red and Saltire74 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JasperT
Sorry to break it to you, but in this case it is EK's problem to reaccomodate said PAX, it is a service EK uses to get PAX arround the airport. There is no other option, said PAX has to use this service, if this service breaks down and causes further issues, it is whatever groundservice EK uses that is at fault, but EK signed a contract with you and has the obligation to solve any issue this might have caused.

For instance if you use a CD that Emirates supplies through a 3rd party, and you end up being late because said car broke down, than EK surely will solve this matter for you. Eventhough it has 'nothing to do with EK being at fault'

OP was delayed for 40 minutes as busses had to wait to drive on because of an accident that happend on route.
This is my thinking too. The bus service entity is functioning as an agent for EK. EK either pays the bus company directly for the service (which EK makes available to customers at no additional cost beyond the ticket price and for which EK customers have no alternative but to accept to use such service when it's provided because the flight doesn't use a jetway) or the bus service is bundled into the airport fees that EK pays to the airport. Moreover, with EK being such a large customer of the bus service and having such a huge presence at the airport, EK is in a position--if it chooses--to impose standards on the bus service that is offered. By this logic, EK is responsible for failures of the bus service even if EK didn't directly cause the failure.

BTW, IANAL but I do understand the concept of agency.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A concise complaint has been filed. It would be nice for Emirates to take notice, and empower their front line employees, like gate agents especially, and at the very least empower their supervisors to make smart common sense decisions.
Common sense says that if a passenger is a no show, that the passenger be advised to contact the place where the booking was made to handle in accordance with the fare rules. Common sense also says to have travel insurance that will cover such eventualities should the cost exceed that which the person is happy to take the risk for
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
EK is responsible to get passengers to and from their connections without delay.
And they did. Ten others made the same connection without issue.

And if EK's bus had broken down due to poor maintenance, you might have a valid argument. Something completely outside of their control happened. They are simply not responsible.
I really hope you never have a travel interruption (or eployee interruption, you never made that clear) and have to deal with CSA that I did.
I have. On many, many occasions. This is an occupational hazard when you travel a lot. The difference is I accept responsibility when I'm in the wrong - which has happened on more than one occasion as well. I find when I acknowledge that it was my fault (in cases where it was), the airline is far more amenable to helping me out.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:49 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
All they had to do was rebook OP on the next flight and call it a day. Instead, they had to argue and waste everyone's time.

I don't know if this the culture in the company, or if these rebooking agents have specific incentives (how would they be measured in situations like this?), or something else, but I've had to deal with this thing once and it was a terribly stressful experience when jetlagged.

I hope they didn't cancel your return flight lol.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
OP's bus was not in an accident. There was an accident on the route. And you still have not explained how this is EK's fault. "It just is" is not an answer.
Who said EK was at fault? I don't recall anybody saying that the accident was EK's fault.

EK is responsible to get passengers to and from their connections without delay
And they did. Ten others made the same connection without issue.
ALL passgeners, not just a subset. Because 10 made it doesn't mean anything unless all buses made it to the terminal within a reasonable amount of time of each other. If there were no buses and the flight went to a jet-bridge then it would make sense if 10 made it that all others could have as well. But, if 100 people got off the plane then the jet-bridge failed and 200 were stuck on-board for 40 minutes, the 200 are not SOL just because 100 people were able to make their connections.

And if EK's bus had broken down due to poor maintenance, you might have a valid argument. Something completely outside of their control happened. They are simply not responsible.
Absolutely incorrect, why do you keep stating these grossly incorrect statements?

If an EK flight arrives late to DXB because of a weather issue in JFK and the OP misses his connection then EK absolutely would be responsible for re-booking him yet weather is something completely outside of EK's control. Just because something is outside EK's control doesn't absolve them of being responsible. Just as a weather delay requires EK to re-accomodate a breakdown of ground-services (paid for by EK to get the passenger to the terminal) due to no fault of OP or EK should also require a re-accomodation. Let us look at this another way, if the EK flight landed at DXB but an accident on the tarmac delays the flight by 40 minutes in getting to the gate, EK is still responsible for re-accomodating the passenger even though it is outside of EK's control.
Stez likes this.

Last edited by whimike; Feb 1, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by whimike
Who said EK was at fault? I don't recall anybody saying that the accident was EK's fault.
Whether or not it was EK's fault is the only thing that matters here.

ALL passgeners, not just a subset. Because 10 made it doesn't mean anything unless all buses made it to the terminal within a reasonable amount of time of each other. If there were no buses and the flight went to a jet-bridge then it would make sense if 10 made it that all others could have as well. But, if 100 people got off the plane then the jet-bridge failed and 200 were stuck on-board for 40 minutes, the 200 are not SOL just because 100 people were able to make their connections.
And do you know that not all pssengers made it? Or are you blindly speculating because you want the airline to be wrong as badly as OP does?

Absolutely incorrect, why do you keep stating these grossly incorrect statements?

If an EK flight arrives late to DXB because of a weather issue in JFK and the OP misses his connection then EK absolutely would be responsible for re-booking him yet weather is something completely outside of EK's control. Just because something is outside EK's control doesn't absolve them of being responsible. Just as a weather delay requires EK to re-accomodate a breakdown of ground-services (paid for by EK to get the passenger to the terminal) due to no fault of OP or EK should also require a re-accomodation. Let us look at this another way, if the EK flight landed at DXB but an accident on the tarmac delays the flight by 40 minutes in getting to the gate, EK is still responsible for re-accomodating the passenger even though it is outside of EK's control.
Those cases are not even remotely similar to this one. Ten people made the connection just fine, that OP found himself in a circumstance where he did not was entirely his own doing. And before you go ballastic, note that I said OP finding himself in the circumstance was his own doing - not the circumstance itself.

Bottom line, OP made a series of poor choices. He should accept responsibility for his actions and move on having learned a corresponding series of good lessons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.