Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
Let's say his inbound wasn't early, and he got on the right bus, it still (in my bussing experiences from remote gates in DXB) takes them up to 40 minutes to get to whatever concourse I usually got dropped at (B?). Then there was no way OP would even have made the connection either way.

But in this case, there was more time, yet with the accident occuring left OP with no chance of making it (and what if he did get on the F bus, or the 'right' bus, and this one had the accident?), unless someone at that transfer desk would have taken it up to get OP a quick transfer to his gate, in this case they didn't even seem to have offered this? Saying OP could make it and they would try and hold the door. If they did radio the gate agents, then they would know about OP being on his way. If they couldn't hold it, then they should have someone waiting for him to solve his matters.

Or is this expecting too much of a service to a connecting F passenger? (I don't think it should make a difference if it's a reward flight or not, F is F)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
OP, I have some sympathy for you on this one but there were risks involved with (a legal) connection which ultimately came to bite you in the a***. Expectations were a bit high in thinking they would automatically put you on the next flight 45 minutes later. If they said the next available flight with seats, that would be more realistic. And I will emphasize, I'm not having a pop here, we are only hearing your side of the story. It does look as if alternative arrangements have been made so I hope the rest of your journey goes well and without any further incident.

From an EK Forum Ambassador point of view, I’m disappointed in the tone of some of the replies. On this forum, we are a generally fairly easy going bunch who don’t forensically pick posts to bits when it’s not required. The OP gave his side of the story. No evidence of skullduggery in the post. Wasn’t trying to get something for nothing when it went wrong and by his accounts, the largest cause outwith his control. And please take the time to make contributors feel welcome when they have been a member for less than a month. We’ve all been there where the smallest deviation from the best laid plans causes things to go drastically wrong.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by whimike
I find your whole set of posts in response to the OP not only incorrect in many instances but devoid of reality.
Apparently not devoid of reality since it happened.

I don't see where OP made much in the way of poor decisions.
Oh really? So it was EK's fault he chose a routing that just barely exceeded the MCT? It was EK's fault he chose not to use the restroom before landing? It was EK's fault he arbitrarily picked a bus to get on?

Ground services at DXB provide buses to the terminal. OP got on one of those buses. Due to an incident at the airport his bus was delayed by 45 minutes causing him to misconnect.
Oh, so now you agree that none of this is EK's fault? Make up your mind. And by the way, I've stated in this thread already he should be rightfully annoyed with the airport services.

100% of people, in a right state of mind, would not consider this their fault and go buy a new ticket and accept they were at fault for no-showing their next segment.
And just when did I say the accident alone was the reason it was his fault? He made a series of decisions that led to him getting on a bus that was held up by the accident and ultimately leading him to miss his connection. The accident was not his fault, but him being in that circumstance certainly was. But far more importantly, the accident was not EK's fault! This is the only thing that matters when discussing whether or not EK should be on the hook to re-accommodate him. Period.

No way you are convincing anybody of that. Emirates pays for those ground services and those ground services caused his delay, so for sure Emirates has some liability. Emirates liability doesn't stop as soon as they touch-down in Dubai, there is liability to get the passenger to the terminal so they can go to their next flight. Any of the buses that were provided for passengers should be adequate to get to the terminal in time. It was the accident that caused the real delay and just happenstance that the "F" bus wasn't delayed (that we know of, maybe it was) vs his bus that was, it could just have easily been the other way around.
Ten other people made that same connection with no issue... Emirates is not responsible for OPs circumstance.

Your suggestion to OP that he should have asked the supervisor if he could purchase a ticket on the next flight is just laughable and ridiculous.
So what? Businesses should just give away their products for free? EK was not the reason OP missed his connection, so EK is not responsible for re-accommodating him.

Then the idea that EK did nothing wrong is equally ridiculous. The way the supervisor talked to the OP is WRONG. PERIOD. I believe the OP because I have lived through the incredibly poor and arrogant customer service at DXB (and AUH and DOH and MCT), and I wasn't traveling on an award but in full-fare paid F. IRROPS handling and customer service in general at any of the ME3 is just an abysmal experience which I dread the thought of, they make it as absolutely painful as possible with ZERO compassion and/or sensibility, it is 100% by the book with front-line people including supervisors having no authority to deviate even one iota, no matter how much sense it makes.
I didn't say EK did nothing wrong (or maybe I did, but I meant it in the context of OP's misconnect). What I did say was that EK was not liable. That said, given OP's attitude here, I'm far more sympathetic to the supervisor than I am OP. As for your last comment, 100% by the book is absolutely the way it should be. You agreed to a contract, if you do not meet the terms of that contract then consequences are yours and yours alone to deal with.

Last edited by kb9522; Jan 31, 2018 at 10:40 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

@kb5922 I really don't understand why you have this vendetta against me, and why you are so desperately out to pick everything apart to ensure this entire incident was my fault. I have been a long-time lurker, just joined, and I don't understand why it's so important to you that EK is correct. In fact, you remind me of how the supervisor spoke to me and acted. When I would bring up a point, he would counter with another point. You're behaving childishly, and defending EK to the death, I am not sure why? If you have a connection, or some other agenda you should be open to all posters about it here.

You’ve literally spent the entire day being a lawyer for Emirates so obviously this is a very important, or sensitive topic for you in one regard or another.

Just look at your last post! You picked apart piece by piece and commented on an entire post by whimike! I'm sorry that I had to go to the bathroom. I'm sorry I got on the wrong bus (which were not really even entirely sure of). I'm sorry I caused the crash incident. I'm sorry I walked down the steps. I'm sorry I started breathing. I'm sorry that I was sitting in a seat on the airplane. Like where does it end? I've been a long time lurker and have NEVER seen anyone ever make a post like that. Your last post looks like a legal document that you're countering in a court of law. So it's pretty clear to me you have some type of agenda in this discussion, whatever the reason may be. If you do have some connection to either the supervisor, staff, or Emirates in general I think it'd be fair to come out and say that.

Also I really don't appreciate the mean, vindictive comments directed towards me. I didn’t join a community to get hurled abuses, and lies and false accusations at me. You can have an opinion, but you can also act like an adult.

Last edited by ASismyfav; Feb 1, 2018 at 12:04 am
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522

So what? Businesses should just give away their products for free? EK was not the reason OP missed his connection, so EK is not responsible for re-accommodating him.
Also why are you beating this point to death which is not true? I had a valid ticket to fly DXB-MEL. And frankly had I not wasted my time arguing with the nasty supervisor, I probably would have gotten accommodated on the 10:05 if I just called Alaska first thing.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:13 am

In am surprised by all negayivity towards OP on this thread. In my view, OP did absoluyely nothing wrong. Getting on J bus when flying F is not wrong.

EK stuff working MEL flight was pribably right that OP was marked as no-show because they did not have other information at that time. Later it was probably hard / impossible to undo it and take control of the ticket from AS. At the very least EK supervisor should have called AS himself and sort it out with them if it was not possible on EK side.

But EK is 100% responsible for missed connection and it owes OP apology and refund of hotel expenses.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by ASismyfav
@kb5922 I really don't understand why you have this vendetta against me, and why you are so desperately out to pick everything apart to ensure this entire incident was my fault. I have been a long-time lurker, just joined, and I don't understand why it's so important to you that EK is correct. In fact, you remind me of how the supervisor spoke to me and acted. When I would bring up a point, he would counter with another point. You're behaving childishly, and defending EK to the death, I am not sure why? If you have a connection, or some other agenda you should be open to all posters about it here.

You’ve literally spent the entire day being a lawyer for Emirates so obviously this is a very important, or sensitive topic for you in one regard or another.

Just look at your last post! You picked apart piece by piece and commented on an entire post by whimike! I'm sorry that I had to go to the bathroom. I'm sorry I got on the wrong bus (which were not really even entirely sure of). I'm sorry I caused the crash incident. I'm sorry I walked down the steps. I'm sorry I started breathing. I'm sorry that I was sitting in a seat on the airplane. Like where does it end? I've been a long time lurker and have NEVER seen anyone ever make a post like that. Your last post looks like a legal document that you're countering in a court of law. So it's pretty clear to me you have some type of agenda in this discussion, whatever the reason may be. If you do have some connection to either the supervisor, staff, or Emirates in general I think it'd be fair to come out and say that.

Also I really don't appreciate the mean, vindictive comments directed towards me. I didn’t join a community to get hurled abuses, and lies and false accusations at me. You can have an opinion, but you can also act like an adult.
It's important because people come here to find information. It sends the wrong message if thread after thread is about how the airline is always wrong. The airline owed you nothing here.

Yes, you had a ticket for the connection. That ticket became worthless when you no-showed for the flight.

As for the rest of it, well, that you still fail to understand why that ticket does not entitle you to another flight given the circumstances is probably indicative of why you're getting the tone you are. It's been explained to you endlessly all of the reasons why it's not the case... yet you continue to insist they should have put you on that flight. Who's being the child here?

And "hurled abuses"? Enough of the hyperbole, surely you are not so thin-skinned. As for "lies and false accusations"... point them out, please. I do not lie and stand behind every statement.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by AntonS
In am surprised by all negayivity towards OP on this thread. In my view, OP did absoluyely nothing wrong. Getting on J bus when flying F is not wrong.

EK stuff working MEL flight was pribably right that OP was marked as no-show because they did not have other information at that time. Later it was probably hard / impossible to undo it and take control of the ticket from AS. At the very least EK supervisor should have called AS himself and sort it out with them if it was not possible on EK side.

But EK is 100% responsible for missed connection and it owes OP apology and refund of hotel expenses.
Please explain how EK is 100% responsible for this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:47 am

Please explain how EK is 100% responsible for this.
Bus had an accident. Regardless if the accident was driver fault or EK / aiprport operations fault, EK is 100% responsible for rebooking.

If I was in OP situation and receive such treatment, I would probably end up in UAE prison,.because I would not give up! If muliple EK supervisors would not rebook me, they would have to call police .
ASismyfav likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Bus had an accident. Regardless if the accident was driver fault or EK / aiprport operations fault, EK is 100% responsible for rebooking.

If I was in OP situation and receive such treatment, I would probably end up in UAE prison,.because I would not give up! If muliple EK supervisors would not rebook me, they would have to call police .
We don't know who had an accident, OP's bus wasn't involved in it
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
I find your whole set of posts in response to the OP not only incorrect in many instances but devoid of reality.

I don't see where OP made much in the way of poor decisions. Ground services at DXB provide buses to the terminal. OP got on one of those buses. Due to an incident at the airport his bus was delayed by 45 minutes causing him to misconnect. 100% of people, in a right state of mind, would not consider this their fault and go buy a new ticket and accept they were at fault for no-showing their next segment. No way you are convincing anybody of that. Emirates pays for those ground services and those ground services caused his delay, so for sure Emirates has some liability. Emirates liability doesn't stop as soon as they touch-down in Dubai, there is liability to get the passenger to the terminal so they can go to their next flight. Any of the buses that were provided for passengers should be adequate to get to the terminal in time. It was the accident that caused the real delay and just happenstance that the "F" bus wasn't delayed (that we know of, maybe it was) vs his bus that was, it could just have easily been the other way around.

Your suggestion to OP that he should have asked the supervisor if he could purchase a ticket on the next flight is just laughable and ridiculous.

Then the idea that EK did nothing wrong is equally ridiculous. The way the supervisor talked to the OP is WRONG. PERIOD. I believe the OP because I have lived through the incredibly poor and arrogant customer service at DXB (and AUH and DOH and MCT), and I wasn't traveling on an award but in full-fare paid F. IRROPS handling and customer service in general at any of the ME3 is just an abysmal experience which I dread the thought of, they make it as absolutely painful as possible with ZERO compassion and/or sensibility, it is 100% by the book with front-line people including supervisors having no authority to deviate even one iota, no matter how much sense it makes.
The voice of reason.

Please can all stop sniping at each other - please be a little more respectful and less inflamatory.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

A lot of people have mentioned wretched customer service in the ME3. When we got to reservations to rebook and the person below Mel who was with me said how can we rebook him as I had given in since I needed to get there, and was ready to pay up to $1,000.

Then she said this is an alaska ticket. He needs to call Alaska. The operations manager left, and she didn’t even have a phone that could call them. I had to use my own personal cellphone (at 20 cents a minute, airport WiFi was too weak to use Skype) to call AS and the AS agent couldn’t believe the way I was being treated.

I had to give my phone to the Emirates agent who started telling the AS agent things. When I was handed the phone back the AS agent said, “I have no idea what she’s talking about. But you’re confirmed and everything is showing fine on our end, and should be on their end too. I’m really sorry this is happening to you.”

Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:25 am

OP's bus was not in an accident. There was an accident on the route. And you still have not explained how this is EK's fault. "It just is" is not an answer.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's important because people come here to find information. It sends the wrong message if thread after thread is about how the airline is always wrong. The airline owed you nothing here.

Yes, you had a ticket for the connection. That ticket became worthless when you no-showed for the flight.

As for the rest of it, well, that you still fail to understand why that ticket does not entitle you to another flight given the circumstances is probably indicative of why you're getting the tone you are. It's been explained to you endlessly all of the reasons why it's not the case... yet you continue to insist they should have put you on that flight. Who's being the child here?

And "hurled abuses"? Enough of the hyperbole, surely you are not so thin-skinned. As for "lies and false accusations"... point them out, please. I do not lie and stand behind every statement.
I don’t even know where to start. You blamed me for going to the bathroom, because it was a “choice” I made. I mean that in itself is ridiculous. I’m not going to go back and forth with you as many people have pointed out your invalid points.

However, you said we should teach people things so that we shall. You’re statement that my ticket became “invalid” once I was labeled a “no-show” is completely incorrect. It’s an award ticket that can be changed at anytime provided space is available. So I didn’t “loose” anything, my ticket was still valid. How do you think I was rebooked and got to Melbourne?

If youre going to play emirates lawyer, at least know the rules.

Last edited by ASismyfav; Feb 1, 2018 at 1:51 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OP's bus was not in an accident. There was an accident on the route. And you still have not explained how this is EK's fault. "It just is" is not an answer.
Really, are you serious? This isn’t JFK, it’s DXB. 99.5% of the apron traffic is EK or EK related. I think it’s a pretty safe bet that EK vehicles were involved. Frankly, even if it wasn’t it doesn’t matter. EK is responsible to get passengers to and from their connections without delay.

You have youre opinion, that’s fine. I really hope you never have a travel interruption (or eployee interruption, you never made that clear) and have to deal with CSA that I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.