Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Customer Service Experience: Am I in the Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
To be fair, EK do switch the seatbelt sign on quite early... if you then also get 15/20 minutes holding it can be 45+ minutes before you can use the toilet. I've been caught out by this, especially after enjoying the "onboard hospitality" a bit too much

i ignore the seatbelt signs
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:02 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Folks, I believe the OP has received enough responses to his question albeit a lot more than what he asked for. Whilst I appreciate that we all might have different experiences flying EK, through DXB or other ME3 airlines I don't see value in barraging each other as it goes against the ethos of FT.

I have left the thread open for the OP to post any updates and hope we can all be civil.

Zol
Emirates Skywards forum moredator

Last edited by Zol; Feb 11, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Here is what Emirates wrote me back. Basically it was probably a pre-written letter with no investigation since they talk about checked bags in the response. I had no checked bags. They don’t even address the accident! How can an airline have such good service in the air, and such terrible customer service on the ground? It’s baffling:

“Thank you for contacting Emirates. I welcome the opportunity to respond to your comments.

I regret to learn that you were unable to travel on flight EK 0404 from Dubai to Melbourne on 29 January 2018. I understand how unsettling this situation must have been for you. As our seasoned traveler, we do respect your portrayal of facts, and I can assure you that we take note of every concern raised by our customers

I note from your correspondence that on arrival of your flight from New York, you boarded an incorrect bus (Business Class) which was dropping off at Terminal 1

May I clarify that baggage will be removed from a plane if the passenger has not presented their boarding card at the boarding gate within the stipulated time before the scheduled time of departure, ready to board the plane. The plasma screens located throughout the airport concourse, show the latest information on flight departures. (What is he talking about? I had no checked baggage.)

Please allow me to explain that it is the passenger's responsibility to board their flight within the stipulated time. However, a report from our Airport Services Manager in Dubai shows that you eventually reported too late to be accepted on the flight.

I am also concerned to learn of your disappointment with the service attitude of our ground staff. All of our staff members, and those of our contractors, are trained and encouraged to always interact with customers in a courteous and professional manner. It is also our customer service ethos to be respectful of customers and to provide them with the highest standard of service that Emirates is known for. We do not condone service or behavior that is inconsistent with these values. I would like to assure you that the details of your experience and the impression created to you have been taken into account.

Mr X, whilst we can understand your concerns, I must point out that the predicament you found yourself in was not due to Emirates. (Yes it was)

Thank you for allowing me to explain and for your understanding. (Nothing was explained and there was no understanding except that they’re right, I’m wrong.)

Yours sincerely,

xxxxxxx

Customer Affairs”

....And that, as they say, is that! By sharing this experience with everyone I hoped I’ve shown do everything in your power to not have any hiccups in your travels where you have to deal with Emirates ground staff. If you do, good luck.

safari ari likes this.

Last edited by Zol; Feb 11, 2018 at 9:32 pm Reason: remove agent name
Old Feb 11, 2018, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ASismyfav

Mr X, whilst we can understand your concerns, I must point out that the predicament you found yourself in was not due to Emirates. (Yes it was)

Thank you for allowing me to explain and for your understanding. (Nothing was explained and there was no understanding except that they’re right, I’m wrong.)

....And that, as they say, is that! By sharing this experience with everyone I hoped I’ve shown do everything in your power to not have any hiccups in your travels where you have to deal with Emirates ground staff. If you do, good luck.

By your description, the reason you failed to show up on time for the flight was not that of Emirates's doing

As such, the person has just reiterated that - whether you like that answer or not, it is the answer

The passenger is responsible to get to gate in time for the flight - if the passenger is late , then referring to original agent is quite correct

If you can prove that it was Emirates's fault, then perhaps take Emirates to court to reclaim any costs incurred
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I don’t want to sue, and I really don’t want anything from them aside from my extra day in Australia back which is not posssible. I just want to be treated like a human being, and not like some cattle being shipped to another gate. I see now that EK has some serious customer service issues, and instead of addressing the problems they have, they just continue to blame the customer in this instance, and to me that’s very sad. How arrogant is it to say flat out in the email that it’s not Emirates fault. Even to some degree, a fair and unbiased third party has to agree it is somewhat their fault. To come right out and say “we didn’t do anything” in the email just demonstrates their attitude towards customers. I didn’t cause the accident, the Emirates vehicles that were involved, that held up my bus, that caused me to miss my connection we’re responsible.

Its sadly pathetic is this letter that the guy has to falsely summarize events, make up things that didn’t happen, and then solely blame me for the grounds mistake. To me it’s quite clear EK has a very serious customer service issues that run very deep, and that’s unfortunate and others should take note.

Now I know why when I was silently looking to find the supervisors name tag, he noticed me eyeballing for it, said some nasty things to me, and started shoving the the name tag in my face because he knew there would be no repercussions for whatever he did. Everyone has agreed in this thread that allowing an employee to just be plain nasty to a customer is wrong, so the issues run fairly deep for EK.

Quite puzzling to me that an airline can have a wonderful on board product, but such abysmal customer service on the ground. Now I know who I’m dealing with if a problem should arise, and others should too. Oh well... that’s life.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:49 pm

Your arriving at the gate after the required time was not EK's fault

Why should it say that it was its fault ? That isn't arrogance, that is just factual

Unexpected problems occurring is one of the reasons why travel insurance is available

As far as the attitude of the staff member goes, there is only one side of the story - I wonder what the EK staff would say regarding the passenger's attitude
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Why should it say that it was its fault ? That isn't arrogance, that is just factual

Unexpected problems occurring is one of the reasons why travel insurance is available

As far as the attitude of the staff member goes, there is only one side of the story - I wonder what the EK staff would say regarding the passenger's attitude

To to be fair if I was on a bus and it crashed / got delayed I’d be pretty angry if EK denied liability given it’s their ground services putting you to the correct places to make the transfer.
Will08 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Yes a factual statement on its own merit without any background, context, investigation or reasoning.

The reason was Emirates vehicles had an accident on the tarmac that stopped my bus from moving and getting me to the terminal in a reasonable amount of time, thus being unable to get to my gate.

It is EK’s responsibility to drive me from a remote stand in the middle of the airport, to my connecting gate. Unless the rules allow me to hire my own car, and get me to my gate on my own terms, then EK is at fault. What else am I suppose to do? I did not pack a flying carpet.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:10 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
OP, can you remove the CS Agents name from your post as per FT rules.

That doesn’t look like a well written or thought out reply. Have you posted the full reply here? If so, then I would be writing back to them and having the issue re-addressed, pointing out the inaccuracies.

S
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I have had my share of bad experiences with ground staff at DXB. This is one area the ME3 are really terrible at, and I always assumed it was just a cultural thing. I’ve always tried to just get from one gate to the other while keeping my head down, and never asking for any assistance and hoping my ticket is fine without any delays.

As another poster pointed out, even on paid premium tickets ME3 staff can treat your like garbage as I have experienced first hand. I’m surprised at the lack of sympathy for the OP, and a lot of ridiculous criticism he’s endured. Give the guy a break.

Emirates has a responsibility to get him to and from his gates. Where he got dropped off isn’t even that far from the B gates. Had the Emirates bus not been delayed because of the system Emirates operates, the OP would have easily made his connection. To make matters worse there was a flight that left an hour later that they refused to put him on for no reason. Have a little sympathy here folks.

EK runs a system to get passengers to their connecting gates. If that system breaks down, yes it is EK’s responsibility to get him to where he needs to go. The OP doesn’t really have any alternatives other than being at the whim of Emirates.

OP considering all you lost was 18 hours, and not any money, I’d say you did okay. Of course this does not excuse EK’s behavior, but I’ve had friends who have been in similar situations and ended up getting shaken down by Emirates for a few thousand dollars. Consider yourself somewhat lucky.
safari ari and Will08 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ASismyfav

Yes a factual statement on its own merit without any background, context, investigation or reasoning.

The reason was Emirates vehicles had an accident on the tarmac that stopped my bus from moving and getting me to the terminal in a reasonable amount of time, thus being unable to get to my gate.

It is EK’s responsibility to drive me from a remote stand in the middle of the airport, to my connecting gate. Unless the rules allow me to hire my own car, and get me to my gate on my own terms, then EK is at fault. What else am I suppose to do? I did not pack a flying carpet.
An airport vehicle had an accident on the apron
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saltire74
OP, can you remove the CS Agents name from your post as per FT rules.

That doesn’t look like a well written or thought out reply. Have you posted the full reply here? If so, then I would be writing back to them and having the issue re-addressed, pointing out the inaccuracies.

S
I wrote them back. They don’t care, and have not responded. I’ve moved on. Their customer service doesn’t give a hoot, and are just interested in blaming the customer. If that’s the route they want to go down, that’s their business decision, and frankly it’s too bad. His response wasn’t even relevant to the situation at hand, and was infested with irrelevant and inaccurate facts so it shows no investigation was done and their customer Service team did not even look into the matter of what happened. Sad, but if that’s how they want to run their airline, all the best to them.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BAEC Silver
Wow, can't believe I read this entire thread!

Seems the OP was determined to show how much better US carriers are at customer service than the ME3.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't but I know which carriers I'd rather fly and it ain't good ole' uncle sam airways!
BadgerBoi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.