Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Emirates Forum Brunch - Off-topic chit-chat and banter

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by Will08
....... I always consider passing by my next gate to ask someone if they want to go in the F lounge but then I always think it would come across quite strange...
Yes, that's the same for me. I often see a single elderly traveller (actually older than me!!!!) sitting on the plastic seats, and I'm always tempted to make the offer, but I always worry about how it may be received. Also I don't want to be overheard and appearing like I'm advertising my situation.

In MEL in 2018, I was approached by a guy in his 80s who seemed confused and unsure what to do re check-in and security. He appeared to have early Alzheimers and he was travelling alone. So I took him under my wing and guided him through check-in and security then guested him into the lounge. That's the only time I have guested a stranger.

The flight was delayed and I knew he would have missed his connecting flight, so at DXB I waited for him to appear leaving the plane and walked him through the accommodation voucher/transport saga. I hope he made it to the UK ok and returned safely!
Will08 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Originally Posted by BadoRas
Yes, that's the same for me. I often see a single elderly traveller (actually older than me!!!!) sitting on the plastic seats, and I'm always tempted to make the offer, but I always worry about how it may be received. Also I don't want to be overheard and appearing like I'm advertising my situation.

In MEL in 2018, I was approached by a guy in his 80s who seemed confused and unsure what to do re check-in and security. He appeared to have early Alzheimers and he was travelling alone. So I took him under my wing and guided him through check-in and security then guested him into the lounge. That's the only time I have guested a stranger.

The flight was delayed and I knew he would have missed his connecting flight, so at DXB I waited for him to appear leaving the plane and walked him through the accommodation voucher/transport saga. I hope he made it to the UK ok and returned safely!
That's very nice of you. I have guested families through security at dxb before, on multiple occasions I've seen security stop people (mostly families) saying they can only take 1 person through there as a Y in gold. Pathetic, really.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:10 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
They've been playing this song during boarding on A380s ( havent noticed it on 777's) the past few months and its gotten stuck in my head. So catchy!

Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by S.R
They've been playing this song during boarding on A380s ( havent noticed it on 777's) the past few months and its gotten stuck in my head. So catchy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQp1_GfDhwQ
Definitely catchy, but music has been changed recently, now includes a wonderful world by james morisson and others I dont know the title of after landing
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:22 am
S.R

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Definitely catchy, but music has been changed recently, now includes a wonderful world by james morisson and others I dont know the title of after landing
Must've changed in the past few days then. Heard this song again just this past Friday on DXB-JFK.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by S.R
Must've changed in the past few days then. Heard this song again just this past Friday on DXB-JFK.
Planes are being updated gradually. You'll still hear it on some planes. Seems to be random which ones are updated
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:45 am
S.R

Planes are being updated gradually. You'll still hear it on some planes. Seems to be random which ones are updated
Interesting, didn't know there were updates to planes for new music. Was under the impression it was more like a playlist on a CD or USB or the like, or that it was streamed somehow. You learn something new everyday!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat

My mom has Alzheimers so this touches my heart. Hats off to 'ya.
Dambus, Tanzguy, thijsseh and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by S.R

There's an EK cabin crew member who put together a playlist, which the Jess Glynn song appears on but it seems old... there's at least a few songs missing imho (Regina Spektor - Fidelity, Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper - Shallow, Jason Mraz - I'm Yours)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4X...SHS7_9gKvKTh8Q

Anyone care to work on a collaborative playlist on Spotify? I don't fly often enough to keep it updated
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
Interesting, didn't know there were updates to planes for new music. Was under the impression it was more like a playlist on a CD or USB or the like, or that it was streamed somehow. You learn something new everyday!
Updates will come when ICE gets updated for that aircraft for the end of the month (usually).

The timing is based around the aircraft’s schedule - the aim is to avoid it being in the air at midnight on the first day of the new month with the old ICE catalogue (this is important for the catalogue rights for movies/music etc. that are shown or rather when they need to stop showing it).

So frames that are going to be downroute for say, 32 hours at the end of the month are more likely to be updated a few days before, hence if you travel in the last few days of a month you’ll see variance in the titles on ICE.

Easy to check by looking at the movies that have fallen off that month
Metanoia likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by S.R

So much better than Frank Sinatra and "Come fly with me". I'm glad that isn't played any more, I could never stand that guy.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:28 am
Suspended

So much better than Frank Sinatra and "Come fly with me". I'm glad that isn't played any more, I could never stand that guy.
I thought that old playlist was better, I felt those songs were catered to travel in some way. The current playlist are just popular songs.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:30 am
Suspended

Was supposed to fly this morning but changed to afternoon last minute. Was on my way to the a gates. Got stuck for 20min on the train! No announcement. The train just died. Lights went off. Felt like a horror movie! Gate agent called me and managed to hold the flight for me.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:34 pm

I thought that old playlist was better, I felt those songs were catered to travel in some way. The current playlist are just popular songs.
Yeah, that's true
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium

Exactly my thoughts or I may end up asking someone who is with someone else and then would have to retract the offer. Similar situation for me is that I have become somewhat of an expert at missed connections. Often in the bar ill help people out with asking them to check emails etc or I may hear them asking the crew what will happen once they have landed - A question the crew will often not know because they don't normally see the passengers after getting to the gate.
BadoRas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.