Ticked off at EK...

Old Apr 24, 17, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Ticked off at EK...

I recently flew DOH-ATH on EK with an overnight in DXB on both outbound/inbound flights. On my outbound I was allowed to take my luggage off at DXB. This was great as I could change into fresh clothes in the morning after an overnight in Murdiff.

Thinking this would be no big deal (on my return flights), I put several bottles of alcohol into my luggage and had my bag checked in at ATH thru only to DXB - where I had another overnight. I was to give the bottles of VERY NICE port to friends in Mirdif. It is legal to bring alcohol into DXB.

At the gate in ATH a red light went on and I was told my baggage was checked thru to DOH. I received the new baggage tag (but kept the original tag showing the bag was checked ATH-DXB). Hummm. Not happy as I knew there were consequences with personal hygiene and with the alcohol going into Qatar.

At DXB I attempted to retrieve my bag but there was no way. EK wanted over 1000 AED to change the conditions of my ticket so I could claim my bag at DXB. Huh?? Sounded like chicanery since they originally wanted only 600 AED. Theft, by a "weasel-words" way. None of this was indicated when I purchased my ticket on-line. There was no indication that I could NOT take my bag off at DXB for an overnight. Besides, why did EK allow me to take my bag off at DXB on my outbound?

The bottom line is that I stayed in Murdiff with my stinky sweaty clothes and then caught my DXB-DOH flight about 20 hours later. The port bottles were confiscated by Qatar Customs when I landed in DOH. I knew that would happen when I could not claim my bag in DXB.

I have sent a registered letter to both Sheikh Mohammed, Ruler of Dubai (and owner of EK), and to Tim Clark (CEO of EK) expressing my extreme displeasure and embarrassment about my state of hygiene and the inability to provide (promised) gifts to friends in Dubai/Mirdif/Al Ain. (as there were 3 different bottles of excellent port purchased in Lisboa and Porto)

In addition I have shown them the following IMMEDIATE losses to both EK and to the Emirate of Dubai:

1. With stinky clothes, I decided not to go hopping in the Mall of the Emirates and spend 1500+ AED. An immediate loss to merchants and the Emirate.
2. I have not gone to Magrudy's Book store and purchased over 300 AED of books - finding them on Amazon and having them shipped to me in DOH for less than the UAE prices at Magrudy's. This is Magrudy's loss as well as loss of revenue to the Emirate of Dubai.
3. Next several flights DOH_DXB are with QR instead of EK. Don't care of they cost more. It is a message, and hence the registered letters. A loss to EK and a benefit to QR ...
4. IF I ever fly EK again it will be only IF I know the total terms and conditions of my baggage status on stops in DXB. Best way, IMHO, is to fly into DXB with QR or FZor?? and then fly out of/into DXB with EK.

The results if #1 thru #3 are a cumulative loss of over 3500 AED. Peanuts, but more losses will happen as I reconsider purchasing items in Dubai and flying long hauls through DXB on EK.... Bad move on EK's part, but I have learned that rules vary and ... OTOH, the customer is always right and I can fly with whichever airline I want... AND shop on-line, skirting Dubai....

This "situation created by EK in ATH and DXB" has been a learning experience for me, and in the long run poor PR for EK and for the Emirate of Dubai. I keep visiting the UAE, BUT will make pointed purchases in other Emirates (if possible) instead of Dubai. I have friends in RAK and other emirates...

If UA ca change their procedures to reduce bad PR and improve customer satisfaction, so can EK. Both situations will enhance customer receptivity to flying with "them". there is no such thing as "egocentricism" wrt to pax and airlines - especially if pax deem they are being abused. Sheikh Mohammed and Tim Clark - are you listening??
Old Apr 24, 17, 4:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Safest way to force EK to give you the bag at DXB is to ensure that your stopover is well over 24hrs.

I suspect that EK is tightening up the rules and pro actively discouraging short check in of bags on returns on certain sectors.

Have heard of Dubai based pax buying tickets ex DOH to Europe and exiting at DXB on return as the tickets are considerably cheaper than DXB Europe.
Old Apr 24, 17, 4:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
You purchased a ticket from A to B with a TRANSIT in DXB. Show me where EK promised at time of purchase to allow you to retrieve and re-check bags in DXB during a TRANSIT?

The fact they let you do so as a discretionary measure on the outbound does not place an obligation on them to do so on the inbound and information act it is pax such as yourself that lead to airlines discouraging discretionary favours by Frontline staff.
staff.

I'm sure the Sheikhs is losing much sleep over the 3500AED.
Old Apr 24, 17, 4:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
. Sheikh Mohammed and Tim Clark - are you listening??
Not sure if they are yet - but why not start a petition calling for the resignations of Tim Clark as CEO of Emirates and the resignation of Sheikh Mohammed as Emir of Dubai? I reckon you might top the 89K supporters that the one for Munoz got. All the best!
Old Apr 24, 17, 4:25 pm

Was hand lotion at least available at any point in the journey provided by EK as an attempt to assuage your personal hygiene issues?

I would of course note that airlines are not liable for consequential losses such as loss of face from failing to deliver gifts promised privately to your friends.

Neither did the rules vary - EK did exactly what they promised: delivered the bags to their destination according to the contract you agreed to.

What did happen was that staff bent or broke the rules to allow you to pick up the bag at the transit point. There is no obligation to allow this.

I agree that the rules should not vary - and they should be enforced consistently, it would make life easier for everyone in the airline industry.
Yoshi212 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by eternaltransit; Apr 24, 17 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 24, 17, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
If UA can change their procedures to reduce bad PR and improve customer satisfaction, so can EK.
I think the United fiasco was a bit more serious..?
Old Apr 24, 17, 11:24 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
Mmmm. Seems a lot of fuss & bluster over, well, not a lot really. Except poor planning by the OP. I look forward to hearing of the response from the registered letters
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 24, 17, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NoY View Post
Mmmm. Seems a lot of fuss & bluster over, well, not a lot really. Except poor planning by the OP. I look forward to hearing of the response from the registered letters
I would not be surprised if he has not already received the entire response

Obviously without luggage he would have been unable to buy toiletries ( or use those in hotel if staying in one ) and clean himself up and then go and buy something to wear if necessary
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 17, 11:35 pm
NoY

Programs: BA Emerald, TP *A Gold, EY Gold, QR bye bye, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I would not be surprised if he has not already received the entire response

Obviously without luggage he would have been unable to buy toiletries ( or use those in hotel if staying in one ) and clean himself up and then go and buy something to wear if necessary
Old Apr 24, 17, 11:41 pm

Programs: EK, QF, KLM,SQ
Exclamation

Just saw this on the official EK website.

Sheikh Mohammed and Sir Tim Clark are proud to announce a groundbreaking new feature, unique to Emirates: Carry On Luggage

Billed as "the ultimate answer to all your checked-luggage problems" the new concept has been introduced in direct response to the privations of VVIP & Most Exalted Flyer "tmac100".
nancypants and AJ747M like this.
Old Apr 25, 17, 12:15 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
So you're upset because you refuse to put a change of clothes in your carry-on as your knew you would want to change and then tried to bring illegal substances into a country and it was confiscated? Seems like a top priority for the Sheikh.

Protip: Always carry at least a fresh shirt and undies in your carry on in case you need to change or your bag is delayed for some reason. It happens. Also never put anything in your checked bag you cant risk losing. Bags are security checked all the time.
Old Apr 25, 17, 12:38 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
While the reaction may be a bit outsized, it the OP's luggage was actually tagged to DXB at check-in and later, at the gate, was "retagged" transit to DOH.

If EK had a problem with it, it would've been the right thing to bring it up at check-in where alternative measures can be taken.

I would be ticked-off too... but probably not enough for two registered letters!
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 25, 17, 1:16 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
While the reaction may be a bit outsized, it the OP's luggage was actually tagged to DXB at check-in and later, at the gate, was "retagged" transit to DOH.
Yup, this is the strange part. Never heard of this happening. Though less severe it is similar to the board a plane then get asked to deplane scenario in that you were given something and then it was taken away.

When it comes to people's expectations of what is fair, it doesn't matter what the rules are. It matters that you actually put something in their hands, then take it away. Most people will find that unfair.

I'll agree that this is an overreaction. However, if it was handled at the check in desk I think the situation would have been a lot more straight forward.
Old Apr 25, 17, 1:32 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Safest way to force EK to give you the bag at DXB is to ensure that your stopover is well over 24hrs.

I suspect that EK is tightening up the rules and pro actively discouraging short check in of bags on returns on certain sectors.

Have heard of Dubai based pax buying tickets ex DOH to Europe and exiting at DXB on return as the tickets are considerably cheaper than DXB Europe.
You've very probably hit the nail on the head there ukdoctor. Short checking of baggage is a well known indicator for airlines that the pax may not complete their ticketed itinerary and therefore may arbitrarily start to apply the rules of the purchased ticket for all travellers.

Flyertalk is a small community in the grand scheme of air travel but there have been many posts throughout FT asking about short checking of baggage, some for legitimate reasons, others to 'game' the system. Airlines on the whole want to protect their revenue and their way of doing this is to apply the rules of the ticket - end of.....

Unfortunately tmac100, EK may have got to the stage where they have heard all of the excuses for short checking and have now decided, enough is enough. When you buy the ticket, you enter into a contract with the airline. If you break that contract, it's up to the airline whether or not they apply the penalty. It's obvious by your post you did not intend to 'game' the system but EK don't know that. Take into consideration that every day, EK will hear the same requests from numerous passengers and without a doubt, a lot of those requests will be to 'game' the system resulting in lost revenue.

Actions of the few will harm the many.

S
Old Apr 25, 17, 2:49 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Tangent: having huge price differences on "similar" routings is not sustainable, regardless of rules. There are limits to O&D price discrimination (in the economics sense)....

At some point people will make the economic decision to "game" the system (legitimately or illegitimately) or a competitor takes the business or someone reinvents the business model to give consumers what they want. In the long term, you can't "protect" that revenue against market forces (just ask the CD industry, the taxi industry, two name a couple).

Prices need to converge to a reasonable point where that extra stop is not "worth it".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: