Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ticked off at EK...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

@tmac100, @aceboy44 has stolen your login details!
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
@tmac100, @aceboy44 has stolen your login details!
?????

Why was I mentioned in this thread?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
They made a mistake once so you think they should make it all the time? Very strange and not at all what should be expected.
When I checked in at DOH, the EK staff told me how to retrieve my bag when I landed in DXB for my overnight. I applied their advice at T3 when I landed in DXB and retrieved my bag.

Naturally when I checked in my bag in ATH and it was checked only to DXB, I assumed I could get my bag upon landing. That seemed to be a reasonable understanding, based on my past experience with EK staff.

We can dance on a pin about the rules, but the point now has become that I won't fly with EK through their hub. The rules have to be applied consistently - and now that I know what the EK rules are so I want to fly with them.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tmac100
The rules have to be applied consistently - and now that I know what the EK rules are so I want to fly with them.

So -Because on some trips EK has allowed luggage to be collected in Dubai, you are no longer going to fly on its services

makes perfect sense
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
So -Because on some trips EK has allowed luggage to be collected in Dubai, you are no longer going to fly on its services

makes perfect sense
I see that you agree that any customer has a choice with which airline to fly with - and why Fact is (if you have been paying attention) is that EK did not consistently allow me to collect baggage at DXB. Your statement (above) shows a twisting of the information I have given.

Folks vote with their feet and wallets in many different ways - as in the old saying states: "the customer is always right".
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
and not self-evident rules - that were/are NOT evident when booking.
I find the rules for short-checking and through checking pretty evident.

The obscure CoC are irrelevant to me. I am NOT a lawyer and I DO NOT knowingly flaunt any rules imposed by countries/airlines. Any court of law would IMHO understand that - in spite of the "ignorance of the law is no an acceptable defense". IMHO, Few airline pax understand all the nuances of respective CoC.
I doubt that. While consumer protection law prohibits certain clauses in contracts concluded between professionals and consumers, that doesn't void the CoC. Pretty sure that you clicked "I have read and accept the EK T&C as well as the Contract of carriage rules" when booking the tickets.

inconsistent application of obscure rules as much as I despise confiscatory approaches to NOT allowing me to access MY baggage at a transit point.
The reason why you were allowed to pick up your bags in DXB on the outbound is because the risk of you not showing up for the next leg were 0 as nobody in their right mind would book a DOH-DXB-ATH return purely to fly oneway DOH-DXB.

On the way back, chances are that you wouldn't show up for the last leg to DOH and that you booked the trip only to circumvent more expensive fares on DXB-ATH.

Make sure that everyone knows "what the rules are" PRIOR to booking. Then apply the "rules" consistently.
Again, I do believe that you confirmed during the booking process that you've read and agreed to the terms and conditions. Unless you manage to claim application of extremely consumer friendly laws, I don't see how EK did something wrong.

I will make every effort to tell friends of the callous treatment of visitors to Dubai and of EK pax.
You make it sound like if EK locked you away in their torture chamber and mistreated you there. How about calming down a little and taking a step back.

We can dance on a pin about the rules, but the point now has become that I won't fly with EK through their hub.
And I'm sure EK now goes the way of AZ given that you no longer fly them. Don't take this as an insult, but with over 50 million passenger per year, I doubt that Clark will reply you. What's the point? You told EK that they have lost you. Better spend their time on the 49.999.999 other passengers.

Folks vote with their feet and wallets in many different ways - as in the old saying states: "the customer is always right".
That statement has been wrong plenty of times and reveals a strong sense of entitlement. Maybe it's time to realize that you're not everyone's center of attention?

BTW: Regarding your boycott of EK, I'm giving it a couple of months before you have similar experiences on QR/EY/SV/GF/WY/... I doubt that any airline would've acted differently.

PS: You sound very similar to aceboy
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I see that you agree that any customer has a choice with which airline to fly with - and why Fact is (if you have been paying attention) is that EK did not consistently allow me to collect baggage at DXB. Your statement (above) shows a twisting of the information I have given.
Nope- you were complaining about inconsistency. If it had been consistent , then you would not have been allowed the luggage on any service.

You are stating that you will not travel due to the inconsistency

Except for the many times that the customer is not right or has a very different view to their importance to what the company views their importance
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Nope- you were complaining about inconsistency. If it had been consistent , then you would not have been allowed the luggage on any service.

You are stating that you will not travel due to the inconsistency...

Except for the many times that the customer is not right or has a very different view to their importance to what the company views their importance
Corrections are due..

If EK had been consistent, I would have known FOR sure that short checking was definitely NOT allowed and I would have not put gifts into my luggage, and would have had a carry on with clothes. That was not the case.

WRT the customer being right... well we can all dance on a pin wrt that one.

Point is I am not captive wrt which I fly with. As I and my friends have noted, there are many airlines besides EK that fly to our destinations and beyond - and the prices are lower. It is no surprise that I have more status with OW and *A than with EK.

An example of such flying is a friend who wanted to fly DXB-MEL in March. EK wanted 7700 AED, then they dropped the cost by 50% on sale. Tempting, but... QR offered a RT via DOH for 2900 AED including cancellation insurance. As luck would have it, a OW Sapphire status gave lounge access (MEL, DOH and DXB) as well as extra baggage allowance. That case illustrates that the customer is always right.

YMMV - and evidently it does. Bravo to you.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Point is I am not captive wrt which I fly with. As I and my friends have noted, there are many airlines besides EK that fly to our destinations and beyond - and the prices are lower. It is no surprise that I have more status with OW and *A than with EK. ...

Michael O'Leary would say "then, go away !".

No offense.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902

No offense.
He's had a change of heart lately - but only in the name of profits!

Whereas before he said: "On customer service: "People say the customer is always right, but you know what - they're not. Sometimes they are wrong and they need to be told so."

He now says: "“If I’d only known that being nice to customers was going to be so good for my business I would have done it years ago,” the Irish executive said in an interview this month."

That said, in this case, EK were being nice to the pax and look where it got them...no good deed goes unpunished...

Allowing short checking as a rule will cost EK more in lost revenue from people dropping final sectors than they can pick up from the OP - who, if he wanted to be absolutely sure, could have just purchased two separate tickets - especially as cost is a factor in the purchasing decision.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ioto1902

No offense.
And folks have stopped flying with Air-O'Leary.

And I have - from flying with EK....
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Any reasonably frequent flier knows (or should know) the rules around short-checking baggage. The CoC are not irrelevant, and your unwillingness to read them does not make them go away. Also, the 'I've done this before so why can't I do it now' line of argument has, in my experience never ever work.

Finally, I did have some sympathy for you until I read this:

I have sent a registered letter to both Sheikh Mohammed, Ruler of Dubai (and owner of EK), and to Tim Clark (CEO of EK) expressing my extreme displeasure and embarrassment about my state of hygiene and the inability to provide (promised) gifts to friends in Dubai/Mirdif/Al Ain. (as there were 3 different bottles of excellent port purchased in Lisboa and Porto)
That did make my day!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Any reasonably frequent flier knows (or should know) the rules around short-checking baggage. ......
That did make my day!
Glad I made your day. However, this was the first and (now) last RT trip where I have attempted short checking. I have noted that UL allows off-loading of checked-through baggage if you decide to "suddenly" stop over in CMB. Never took then up on that offer, but it was there the last time I did a RT DXB-CMB-KUL. But UL is not EK.

Inconsistent application of "the EK rules" concerning a particular class of an airfare is what it is. My future behaviour of which airline I will (or won't) fly with is also going to be what it will be. For sure - and in spite of what an uninformed (about my behaviours/belief system) prognosticator has "opined" . See contribution #36 with the comment:

BTW: Regarding your boycott of EK, I'm giving it a couple of months before you have similar experiences on QR/EY/SV/GF/WY/... I doubt that any airline would've acted differently.

Been there and done that. I have been flying since 1966 and there are still some airlines I still don't want to fly with....

My money. My choices... end of that discussion which allegedly started in 1909. Not as some have opined as having (more recently) started with the Pres/CEO of Air-O'Leary. Folks can fly with which airline they want - and for whatever reason they want. The same is true of deciding which airline not to fly with.This is especially true when they are paying for the airfare.

I note that friends still fly Air-O'Leary while others don't. To each their own. Same with EK, etc...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/tim-c...es-658792.html

.... is just a blip IMHO. EK will continue doing what they do. And all the more power to them and to their passengers.

Last edited by tmac100; Apr 30, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
tmac100, what do you want by coming here ?

You lost three bottles of expensive wine and you spent almost a day in stinky clothes. The result would have been the same with a lost baggage, but anyway, I can fully understand that you decide not to fly EK anymore, all the more that neither Sheikh Mohammed nor Sir Tim have dared to answer your registered letters.
It's your money. Very fine.

Now what ?

You think that EK will go bankrupt because you and your many friends stop flying ?
You think that FTalkers will embargo EK because of your unfortunate case ?
You seek compassion ? FT is definitively not the right place.

And there is some inconsistency here. You fly since the 60s (like me, BTW).
So, you know that airlines hate what looks like hidden city ticketing.
So, you know that accident happens, and change clothes are not a luxury (delayed baggage, spilled food, etc).

This said, IMHO, EK should sent you a letter - for the sake of politeness - saying "we are sorry we didn't meet your expectations blah blah blah", but nevertheless, with no compensation whatsoever as EK definitively fulfilled their part of the contract.
Now, if your letters were in the same tone as your posts here, ... hum ... I'm not sure you'll ever get a reply.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
For sure - and in spite of what an uninformed (about my behaviours/belief system) prognosticator has "opined" . See contribution #36 with the comment:
By the looks of it, I'm not the one being uninformed. Short checking usually being prohibited is something a frequent flyer like you should definitely know.

Been there and done that. I have been flying since 1966 and there are still some airlines I still don't want to fly with....
So? Is this supposed to impress someone around here?

My money. My choices... end of that discussion which allegedly started in 1909. Not as some have opined as having (more recently) started with the Pres/CEO of Air-O'Leary. Folks can fly with which airline they want - and for whatever reason they want. The same is true of deciding which airline not to fly with.This is especially true when they are paying for the airfare.
Still doesn't make your "customer is always right" comment any more valid. Sure you can speak with your money, but I seriously doubt that you're going to change your habits, particularly once the airline you'll pick as replacement will disappoint you.

With your high expectations that transpired through your post and your clear misinformation regarding the checking of bags, I wager that it won't take long for another airline to fail you.

All of this seems to me like a DYKWIA that fired backwards...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.