Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
Well, for what it's worth, I think ung has a point. I buy biz class from EK to travel ON THE A380 and spend 3-4 hours standing at the bar.
On the London route you do (almost always) pay extra to fly the A380 so (IMHO) they should compensate you if they swap out the aircraft. Good luck with that however, ung, as I expect you to get nowhere with EK on this issue.
I also have a problem with them promising lie flats on the 777 and then swapping the a/c at the last minute to the recliners - I complained to them about this when it happened on both sectors to London return last year and they politely told me to get lost.
I've been enjoying BA's upper deck for the last year but EK's sale prices were too good to miss...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by eightblack
But why? If an airline no longer has the original equipment planned and then protects you on another aircraft (ie theirs) and in the same class, how are you impacted.
OK, if they change flight EK018 from an A380 to a B777 and I'm still in the same class, then that's no issue. Equipment changes can occur.

However, if they change flight EK018 from an A380 to a B777, and then put me on flight EK020 (instead of EK018), then I'd be very annoyed! This is when EU compensation would apply as I would be delayed due to EK 'offloading' me from the original flight.

I believe the second scenario is what ung1 is referring to?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:07 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Purdey
Well, for what it's worth, I think ung has a point. I buy biz class from EK to travel ON THE A380 and spend 3-4 hours standing at the bar.
On the London route you do (almost always) pay extra to fly the A380 so (IMHO) they should compensate you if they swap out the aircraft. Good luck with that however, ung, as I expect you to get nowhere with EK on this issue.
I also have a problem with them promising lie flats on the 777 and then swapping the a/c at the last minute to the recliners - I complained to them about this when it happened on both sectors to London return last year and they politely told me to get lost.
I've been enjoying BA's upper deck for the last year but EK's sale prices were too good to miss...
Yes you do. But no one seems to be remotely interested in the fact that EK did not pull the 4 x 380's out of service because they wanted to. They pulled them out of service because an airworthiness directive was issued. So they complied.

There are still A380's flying between LHR and DXB, so if you really needed or wanted to be on one, then you would need to plan accordingly. It's hardly reasonable to expect EK to compensate you for this (IMHO).

And while we're at - lets get to the real crux of this matter. Ung1 knew exactly what he was buying when he ticketed. As a result of me flying the exact same itinerary a week before, he knew he would be up for an equipment swap (given that EK had already published their equipment schedule). Now he wants to remain ignorant of the advance knowledge he has and simply wave his arms and demand compensation. That it my book, is unrealistic and unwarranted.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:22 am

Ung1 knew exactly what he was buying when he ticketed. As a result of me flying the exact same itinerary a week before, he knew he would be up for an equipment swap (given that EK had already published their equipment schedule). Now he wants to remain ignorant of the advance knowledge he has and simply wave his arms and demand compensation. That it my book, is unrealistic and unwarranted.
Freeloader!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
I know that the A380 issue is beyond Emirates control and I appreciate that our safety is paramount but:

Our contract is with EK (and I know the contract is merely transport from A to B) and so they should stand by the offer they made ie A380 for a premium over the alternative 777.
In this case, EK are directed to take the a/c out of service for non-scheduled maintenance so they have an issue with THEIR supplier ie Airbus.
I expect EK will be pressing Airbus for compensation for loss of revenue so why should we not receive compensation from EK for their failure to supply what we purchased?
Anyway, I've been down this route before and failed miserably so good luck ung even if you knew you would probably be rehoused.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

And while we're at - lets get to the real crux of this matter. Ung1 knew exactly what he was buying when he ticketed. As a result of me flying the exact same itinerary a week before, he knew he would be up for an equipment swap (given that EK had already published their equipment schedule). Now he wants to remain ignorant of the advance knowledge he has and simply wave his arms and demand compensation. That it my book, is unrealistic and unwarranted.
But it's not an equipment swap, it's a schedule change. From EKxxx to EKyyy.

Or am I missing something here?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: Skywards
I had a better experience...

When my flight was changed from a 380 to a 777 I was called by EK informing me of the change. I asked whether I can change to another flight (with a 380 scheduled) and she said yes. I asked whether she could do it and she started checking (her terminal?) and subsequently offered me another date. I said that would do and my booking was altered there and then. No change fee charged!

I was happy they took the trouble to inform me and further to solve the problem.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:59 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by kulguy
I had a better experience...

When my flight was changed from a 380 to a 777 I was called by EK informing me of the change. I asked whether I can change to another flight (with a 380 scheduled) and she said yes. I asked whether she could do it and she started checking (her terminal?) and subsequently offered me another date. I said that would do and my booking was altered there and then. No change fee charged!

I was happy they took the trouble to inform me and further to solve the problem.
Can I ask a simple question?

Were you commencing travel from the same city that you ticketed from? I say this because on the odd occasion that delays have occurred out of SIN, I have always been emailed or called (or both) by the local office...and I held a SIN issued ticket.

The flight I took several weeks ago was not a SIN issued ticket...nor did I commence travel from SIN on EK...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Yes you do. But no one seems to be remotely interested in the fact that EK did not pull the 4 x 380's out of service because they wanted to. They pulled them out of service because an airworthiness directive was issued. So they complied.

There are still A380's flying between LHR and DXB, so if you really needed or wanted to be on one, then you would need to plan accordingly. It's hardly reasonable to expect EK to compensate you for this (IMHO).

Ok, firstly, my issue is not with the 380 being gone. I don't buy your argument that they could replace it with a 330, and as long as you're in F you're expected to be happy.

I'm not trying to fight my way to death for a 1000 miles here. I don't have the time or energy for that. But I've written to EK asking what they're willing to offer for the inconvenience they've put me through. Yes, I still get to my destination, but it's still an inconvenience.

I actually didn't know about this change till khalid26 posted about it yesterday. Previously, most routes that had been substituted were supposed to go back to 380 from 1 April. So telling me 10 days before I commence my trip is a little late.

Maybe EK will come back saying they'll let me make free changes to my booking, maybe they'll let me change destinations to one served by a 380, maybe they'll decide I'm too much of a pain and refuse to ever sell me a ticket again. We'll see what happens.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Skywards
Can I ask a simple question?

Were you commencing travel from the same city that you ticketed from? I say this because on the odd occasion that delays have occurred out of SIN, I have always been emailed or called (or both) by the local office...and I held a SIN issued ticket.

The flight I took several weeks ago was not a SIN issued ticket...nor did I commence travel from SIN on EK...
Seems to be a different situation. Yours a case of delay in flight time while mine just a change in the plane type. But yes, ticketed and commencing from MAN.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:18 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by ung1
Ok, firstly, my issue is not with the 380 being gone. I don't buy your argument that they could replace it with a 330, and as long as you're in F you're expected to be happy.

I'm not trying to fight my way to death for a 1000 miles here. I don't have the time or energy for that. But I've written to EK asking what they're willing to offer for the inconvenience they've put me through. Yes, I still get to my destination, but it's still an inconvenience.

I actually didn't know about this change till khalid26 posted about it yesterday. Previously, most routes that had been substituted were supposed to go back to 380 from 1 April. So telling me 10 days before I commence my trip is a little late.

Maybe EK will come back saying they'll let me make free changes to my booking, maybe they'll let me change destinations to one served by a 380, maybe they'll decide I'm too much of a pain and refuse to ever sell me a ticket again. We'll see what happens.
I'm sorry, I just don't see what inconvenience has been caused to you personally? Are you a day late? Are you going to miss an important meeting? Did EK's change cause you to miss out on a major sale? Are you still not on a 777 in F (same F product, minus the shower).

You opened this can of worms. Be specific for once. How much was the fare? Are you on business or simply taking a vacation and taking advantage of a special deal? It's relevant because it puts the whole thing in context. How many hours/days difference is the new flight from the old one? What was the specific out of pocket costs (or anticipated costs) to you because of EK's actions...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Purdey
I know that the A380 issue is beyond Emirates control and I appreciate that our safety is paramount but:

Our contract is with EK (and I know the contract is merely transport from A to B) and so they should stand by the offer they made ie A380 for a premium over the alternative 777.
In this case, EK are directed to take the a/c out of service for non-scheduled maintenance so they have an issue with THEIR supplier ie Airbus.
I expect EK will be pressing Airbus for compensation for loss of revenue so why should we not receive compensation from EK for their failure to supply what we purchased?
Anyway, I've been down this route before and failed miserably so good luck ung even if you knew you would probably be rehoused.
With you 100% - EK failed to supply the product purchased and swapped it for an alternative that they can get away with.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Speaking purely personally I just cannot be bothered to complain or worry about equipment changes any more - I admit it, I have been beaten into submission by EK's lack of concern or remorse for pretty much anything that happens. The only time they are proactive is if it will help them to avoid a problem by being so - IME they will not be proactive to help to keep a client happy because ultimately that is not part of their business plan or model. Until they have trouble filling their planes why should they bother goes the commercial argument. Thanks to Khalid's recent post I now know that a flight from Rome next month in F with my wife will not be on a 380 but this is not the first time I have been bumped from a 380 to something else and it will surely not be the last ... all one can hope for is that you don't end up on a dreaded 330 or a two class 777 when you get tossed from your anticipated F suite with bar and showers (accompanied by a singular lack of apology). Focus on the positives such as even with delays travelling with EK is quicker than it was by sailing ship 100 years ago and it is also a statistically very safe airline. My advice is to release these annoyances and enjoy the very next moment as if nothing had happened.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:27 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by eckhaya
With you 100% - EK failed to supply the product purchased and swapped it for an alternative that they can get away with.
Actually, you agreed to it as per the conditions of carriage (CoC), when you purchased your ticket...
5.5 Aircraft
5.5.1 We will try to provide the aircraft specified in our timetable (or specified to you at the time of issue of your Ticket) for your carriage, but cannot guarantee any particular aircraft will be used. We can change the aircraft on which you will be carried, whether for operational, safety, security reasons or otherwise.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:30 am

Actually, you agreed to it as per the conditions of carriage (CoC), when you purchased your ticket...
5.5 Aircraft
5.5.1 We will try to provide the aircraft specified in our timetable (or specified to you at the time of issue of your Ticket) for your carriage, but cannot guarantee any particular aircraft will be used. We can change the aircraft on which you will be carried, whether for operational, safety, security reasons or otherwise.
Agreed eightblack, hence the end of my sentence says: "...that they can get away with.".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.