FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Flight changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1327238-flight-changes.html)

ung1 Mar 21, 2012 4:45 am

Flight changes

Like I mentioned before, EK changed one of my flights from a 380 to a 777, and subsequently put me on a different flight without informing me.

I have now received an email from them informing me that the flight is being operated by a 777. But they've sent this email to 30 other people. Can Emirates not even be trusted to protect the personal data of its clients?

While they are making an effort to be pro active, I don't like how they are handling this situation.

Let's discuss our experiences here. Flight changes, being informed, compensation given etc.

B747-437B Mar 21, 2012 5:06 am

I had an Emirates flight rescheduled last year so that my connection would be blown. They didn't advise me of this at all. I only noticed it when I logged in to Manage My Booking and saw the flight timings had changed.

When I called, I was given the option of taking a longer layover in Dubai at my own expense (to arrive 24 hours later). I wanted to travel the previous day instead so I wouldn't miss my meetings, but they charged me a change fee to do that.

I wrote to Skywards Gold requesting a refund of the change fee but didn't get a response. It was only INR 2000 (US$40) so it really wasn't worth the hassle of complaining.

Compensation? Haha. Surely you jest.

eightblack Mar 21, 2012 5:44 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 18242921)
Like I mentioned before, EK changed one of my flights from a 380 to a 777, and subsequently put me on a different flight without informing me.

I have now received an email from them informing me that the flight is being operated by a 777. But they've sent this email to 30 other people. Can Emirates not even be trusted to protect the personal data of its clients?

While they are making an effort to be pro active, I don't like how they are handling this situation.

Let's discuss our experiences here. Flight changes, being informed, compensation given etc.

The only thing I would give you is a kick up the backside...:D

Seriously though, (and because I know you and the flight you are on), did EK not put you in the same class as you were booked?

Agreed, your privacy should have never been compromised, so yes, they need to fix that.

Are you saying that EK should compensate you just because you aren't going to be on the A380 now? If they did the right thing and put you in the same class on another flight, then how are you affected? Did you pay a premium for the A380 over the 777?

Will your work schedule be interrupted due to the change? Will they allow you to date change?

This is where I think there is a fundamental difference between being a top tier on a US carrier as opposed to being one of many on EK. I've been flying on UA since 1996 and have been a 1K member for probably 12 of those years.

Just a few months ago, my flight out of SIN was late into NRT and hence we missed our onward connections to the West coast of the US. The staff were already waiting for us at the gate in Tokyo, they quickly put us on other flights (and had protected multiple options so we could choose), my bag even made the less than 45-min connection. And as soon as I turned my phone on, emails started flooding in from UA's system.

Even when I arrived into LAX (I had originally wanted to go to SFO) the agents were again waiting and asked me if I wanted to take the red-eye to BOS (my final destination) or go via JFK (my original routing).

Is that normal? Well, 14-years of hard experience tells me yes, on UA, it is. If you hold status.

I just don't get why EK, with it's systems, isn't far more proactive with flight alerts and email notification. It's not rocket science and the problems are only going to get worse (and will compound) as they get bigger....

The other thing I will tell you is that pre-merger, when flight delays occurred, UA would hand out "sky-kits" which is where you basically went online and redeemed a voucher for miles or a discount on a future flight. On top of that, if you were elite, you had a dedicated email address to write into. This would be responded to within 48-hrs and on the few times I used this to provide my feedback on a delayed flight (or service issue) I was well compensated.

ung1 Mar 21, 2012 5:52 am

Eightblack, I don't expect any compensation for being on a 777 instead of a 380. What irritates me is the fact they changed my flight (not just put me in F on the same flight), without telling, let alone asking me.

And I do think it is reasonable for one to expect compensation for something the airline did to suit its own convenience. I think the situation is similar to being denied boarding and being asked to take another flight.

I've sent them a note, as the data privacy issues are particularly worrying. What if I was someone famous? I'll see what they get back with.

CKDouble Mar 21, 2012 5:55 am

My flights are also changed from a380 to 777, DXB-KUL and back.
From my point fo view:
I would say yes, there is a difference when I booked the flights. I wanted to fly with a380 and pay the fee and take the flight shedule only because it is an a380.
And for a minimum, me as a client, I would expect that EK inform me.

B747-437B Mar 21, 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 18243124)
I do think it is reasonable for one to expect compensation for something the airline did to suit its own convenience. I think the situation is similar to being denied boarding and being asked to take another flight.

Really? I mean do you really think that the two are even remotely similar? Wow.

What if I was someone famous?
:D:D:D:p:p:p:p:D:D:D

eightblack Mar 21, 2012 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ung1 (Post 18243124)
Eightblack, I don't expect any compensation for being on a 777 instead of a 380. What irritates me is the fact they changed my flight (not just put me in F on the same flight), without telling, let alone asking me.

And I do think it is reasonable for one to expect compensation for something the airline did to suit its own convenience. I think the situation is similar to being denied boarding and being asked to take another flight.

I've sent them a note, as the data privacy issues are particularly worrying. What if I was someone famous? I'll see what they get back with.

Lets be reasonable here.

You paid for a ticket. And the airline has fulfilled it's obligation. The reasons are also obvious - in the sense that EK made a decision based on a safety directive (with the A380's out for inspections)

I didn't expect any sort of denied boarding compensation for the exact same flight I took a few weeks ago.

Yes, the data privacy issue is fundamental - but it shouldn't matter at all whether if you were famous or not. A breach is a breach.

My view is that you're being completely unreasonable with expecting compensation. If you get it, all well and good though...

B747-437B Mar 21, 2012 6:14 am

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 18243158)
My view is that you're being completely unreasonable with expecting compensation.

^^^

This kind of spurious claim is what clogs up the system and makes it hard for people with legitimate claims to get prompt remedy.

Shame on you ung1. :td:

eckhaya Mar 21, 2012 6:27 am

I have 4 flights booked, 3 of them were on A380. Emirates switched aircraft without telling me. We are 3 pax travelling (family 2 adults 1 child). We now have to wait until check in to see if we can sit together. LHR-DXB-JNB and back

My take on this...I booked these flights based on the hard product (the seat and aircraft). I would have booked LHR-JNB direct if it were not for the hard product on offer on the A380. Sure, EK still get me into JNB, sure I still have the same class (J) and hopefully still on the same schedule, however I now have the "privilege" of recliner seats versus flat.

Nowadays you not only purchase the flight (i.e. getting from A-B) but also the product (the seat). Emirates do not run ad campaigns saying "fly us, we get you from A to B", they also say "fly us, we get you from A to B with a shower in F on the A380". So the point is, as consumers we purchase the product (aircraft) as advertised (that's why aircraft are shown as part of the booking process!) and if it changes, we should be upset.

DYKWIA Mar 21, 2012 6:38 am

Is this "let's all pick on ung1 day"? :D

B747-437B Mar 21, 2012 6:39 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 18243293)

Every day should be "let's all pick on ung1 day"!!! :D

eightblack Mar 21, 2012 6:44 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 18243293)

Trust me, he deserves it. And besides, we haven't even started yet...;)

He's basically saying that, (if you remove the legit privacy issue) that he has no understanding (nor does he care) re the aircraft change (due to a safety directive outside the airlines control). He's still in F.

Yes, EK needs to improve their communication. Yes, they need to be proactive. But at the end of the day, when it all boils down to it, how is he materially impacted by the equipment swap?

DYKWIA Mar 21, 2012 6:50 am

Originally Posted by eightblack (Post 18243320)
Trust me, he deserves it. And besides, we haven't even started yet...;)

He's basically saying that, (if you remove the legit privacy issue) that he has no understanding (nor does he care) re the aircraft change (due to a safety directive outside the airlines control). He's still in F.

Yes, EK needs to improve their communication. Yes, they need to be proactive. But at the end of the day, when it all boils down to it, how is he materially impacted by the equipment swap?

The fact that they moved him onto another flight is the issue. I'd be peeved it that happened to me. In fact, I'd be due EU compensation if it was ex-UK.

Cheers

eightblack Mar 21, 2012 6:54 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 18243350)
The fact that they moved him onto another flight is the issue. I'd be peeved it that happened to me. In fact, I'd be due EU compensation if it was ex-UK.

Cheers

But why? If an airline no longer has the original equipment planned and then protects you on another aircraft (ie theirs) and in the same class, how are you impacted. They didnt wake up in the morning and change aircraft because they wanted to. They had to. For your safety and theirs.

People get moved onto other flights all the time...lets not get into EU rules here as the ticketing in this case is out of Asia.

B747-437B Mar 21, 2012 6:57 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 18243350)
In fact, I'd be due EU compensation if it was ex-UK.

Only if the change was within 2 weeks of the flight and they either downgraded you or couldn't put you on a flight that arrived earlier or at a similar time.

ung1 is just trying to feign righteous indignation because this is one of the few times he's actually paid for a premium cabin ticket :p.