Wiki Posts
Search

Flight changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
I'm sorry, I just don't see what inconvenience has been caused to you personally? Are you a day late? Are you going to miss an important meeting? Did EK's change cause you to miss out on a major sale? Are you still not on a 777 in F (same F product, minus the shower).

You opened this can of worms. Be specific for once. How much was the fare? Are you on business or simply taking a vacation and taking advantage of a special deal? It's relevant because it puts the whole thing in context. How many hours/days difference is the new flight from the old one? What was the specific out of pocket costs (or anticipated costs) to you because of EK's actions...
You're being an EK apologist now. Whether I am on vacation or business should have no impact on how I get treated by an airline. My frequent flyer status and class of travel are the only things that should matter.

Again, my point here is that the airline changed my flight without asking or telling me. Perhaps they plan to, at some point. But they haven't as yet, and it's legitimate for me to ask what's going on and why they haven't done so.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:11 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ung1
You're being an EK apologist now. Whether I am on vacation or business should have no impact on how I get treated by an airline. My frequent flyer status and class of travel are the only things that should matter.

Again, my point here is that the airline changed my flight without asking or telling me. Perhaps they plan to, at some point. But they haven't as yet, and it's legitimate for me to ask what's going on and why they haven't done so.
Ung1, you are entitled to your opinion. If you think I am an EK apologist - then fine. My opinion is that you are simply trying to milk the situation for as much as you possibly can.

You did state in your first post that you did receive an email telling you that the flight was now being operated by a 777 no? And this was well before your scheduled travel date?

But above you state that they haven't told you. At all. So which is it? Surely you could make a decision to accept the revised flight (ie same product, minimal interruption) or cancel and receive a refund...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:28 am

They actually do tell you while booking that changes aircraft changes can occur and they will not be held liable, you don't even have to dig through the t&c's of the ticket.

I agree with most, the contract is to go from A to B at said time. If equipment changes and your still in the same class then fine. But, J is J whether lie-flat or recliner, that is not stated on booking. However, if you booked a Suite, and ended up with a Sky-cruiser I think you are entitled to compensation of some sorts. When you book the itinerary it clearly states "Private Suite". If sky-cruiser it says "First". So in essence, the hard product has changed, and they did clearly breached the agreement which you paid for.

In your case ung1, my view is if your on a 777 with suites then you are still getting the same hard-product in the end. Your only complaint is the privacy issue which is major.

My 2 cents.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KU104
However, if you booked a Suite, and ended up with a Sky-cruiser I think you are entitled to compensation of some sorts. When you book the itinerary it clearly states "Private Suite". If sky-cruiser it says "First". So in essence, the hard product has changed, and they did clearly breached the agreement which you paid for.
I doubt if EK will offer any. Happened to me on EK501 last month (sold as "Private Suite" and then delivered as a "sky cruiser"). Wrote to them and got back standard apology...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-notice-3.html
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Changes from A380 to a 2-class 777.... what is inside the 2-class 777, old seats? no ice? does anyone has information about this?
Flying DXB-KUL...
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Ung1, you are entitled to your opinion. If you think I am an EK apologist - then fine. My opinion is that you are simply trying to milk the situation for as much as you possibly can.

You did state in your first post that you did receive an email telling you that the flight was now being operated by a 777 no? And this was well before your scheduled travel date?

But above you state that they haven't told you. At all. So which is it? Surely you could make a decision to accept the revised flight (ie same product, minimal interruption) or cancel and receive a refund...
They've informed me that the flight is being operated by a 777 instead of a 380, but they haven't as yet told me I'm no longer on that flight, but on another one that they semi-arbitrarily put me on.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KU104
if you booked a Suite, and ended up with a Sky-cruiser I think you are entitled to compensation of some sorts. When you book the itinerary it clearly states "Private Suite". If sky-cruiser it says "First". So in essence, the hard product has changed, and they did clearly breached the agreement which you paid for.
I would only agree with this is EK was charging a premium over its 1st class fare for suites; since it doesn't , as long as there is a 1st class product, whether it be the cruiser seats or suites the cost is the same and so I see no compensation to be due
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:03 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

They've informed me that the flight is being operated by a 777 instead of a 380, but they haven't as yet told me I'm no longer on that flight, but on another one that they semi-arbitrarily put me on.
While you may not agree, it is up to you to resolve with EK.

I flew an itinerary last week. As a result of the 380 issue, aircraft was swapped for a 777. And a flight change to a 2-class service (instead of a 3-class). I was in revenue F.

As soon as I noticed via MYB (I received no notice from EK), I proactively set about changing the itinerary. The EK office let me make a date change and found me flights back on a 3-class 777 in F suites (which is all I wanted). There were no fees.

Should EK have been more proactive? Probably.

But then again - I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth, given what I had paid for the fare. And don't tell me this is irrelevant. It is. They could have easily re-fared the entire journey (given travel hadn't commenced).

You still have plenty of time to cancel and obtain a refund if the flight options don't suit you...but I somehow sense that you want to take these flights regardless.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

While you may not agree, it is up to you to resolve with EK.

I flew an itinerary last week. As a result of the 380 issue, aircraft was swapped for a 777. And a flight change to a 2-class service (instead of a 3-class). I was in revenue F.

As soon as I noticed via MYB (I received no notice from EK), I proactively set about changing the itinerary. The EK office let me make a date change and found me flights back on a 3-class 777 in F suites (which is all I wanted). There were no fees.

Should EK have been more proactive? Probably.

But then again - I wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth, given what I had paid for the fare. And don't tell me this is irrelevant. It is. They could have easily re-fared the entire journey (given travel hadn't commenced).

You still have plenty of time to cancel and obtain a refund if the flight options don't suit you...but I somehow sense that you want to take these flights regardless.
Well exactly, they should have been pro active. Since they weren't and I found out after checking my itinerary, I think it's reasonable for me to ask what my options are. Let's pretend I don't know the details of your journey. I want EK to tell me what they're willing to do. They could have replaced the aircraft with another one with Suites but they didn't, so it is for their convenience. If they were serving Moët instead of Dom in F, you'd be waving your arms too!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:20 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
If they were serving Moët instead of Dom in F, you'd be waving your arms too!
He would not be alone !
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:30 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

We're not talking about Dom versus Moët. We're talking about you wanting something for nothing. Stick to the argument not something hypothetical. So if EK put you on another flight in F suites (on a 777) will you be happy or will you still feel that you have been hard done by not being on the original equipment?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Like I mentioned before, EK changed one of my flights from a 380 to a 777, and subsequently put me on a different flight without informing me.
At least they informed you. Emirates haven't informed me about any of the first to business downgrades that they have done.

There was just a piece that they have been giving 5000 to 10000 Skymiles basically having being downgraded from a380 to 777.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...l-squeeze.html
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I can see it being a downgrade from a 777 to a A380 -- what would that comepensation be...

So there is really no downgrading at all... just aircraft change and you have to accept that-- a downgrade to one may be an upgrade to another- all personal preference!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
We're not talking about Dom versus Moët. We're talking about you wanting something for nothing. Stick to the argument not something hypothetical. So if EK put you on another flight in F suites (on a 777) will you be happy or will you still feel that you have been hard done by not being on the original equipment?
If you read the article that I quoted, Mr. Clark is saying that there are people who booked specifically the A380, like I did, and that they have needed to compensate them with miles for this.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:48 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by holtju2
If you read the article that I quoted, Mr. Clark is saying that there are people who booked specifically the A380, like I did, and that they have needed to compensate them with miles for this.
Yes, and that would be perfectly reasonable if you were a full paying F customer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.