Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by boiseguy
I'm traveling on a Business Class award ticket and was denied access to the Business Class Lounge in Dubai prior to my next EK after connecting from a previous EK flight from New York. I was told Award Tickets don't get lounge access. Is this true? I have searched the internet and found nothing to confirm the gate keepers statement but would assume she would see many Business Class Award customers every day and know the rules.

At JFK I was given lounge access no problem and advised I might have issues in other cities. At JFK however business class boarded directly from the lounge which might explain why I was given access.

Any help?
Absolutely not true... you should have had access at DXB

I would have asked for a supervisor.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:06 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by boiseguy
I'm traveling on a Business Class award ticket and was denied access to the Business Class Lounge in Dubai prior to my next EK after connecting from a previous EK flight from New York. I was told Award Tickets don't get lounge access. Is this true? I have searched the internet and found nothing to confirm the gate keepers statement but would assume she would see many Business Class Award customers every day and know the rules.

At JFK I was given lounge access no problem and advised I might have issues in other cities. At JFK however business class boarded directly from the lounge which might explain why I was given access.

Any help?
After you arrived from JFK, you said you were connecting to another EK flight right? What class were you in for the next flight - because if you were in Y, then this is why you were denied access. If however you were in J or F, then you should have been let in...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Iberia Oro
All 4 legs of my return ticket are in Business Class on EK. I questioned the woman as to why I wasn't given access and her response was no one will receive access when they travel on a free ticket. She was becoming visibly upset that I was questioning her so I didn't want to push something I wasn't sure about.

I'm thinking this must be something with the new AS partnership as I used my AS miles for the award booking. Both at JFK and DXB I was asked for ID to use my "staff ticket" (I had booked an overnight in Dubai and had to check in again). JFK staff understood when I showed them my print out of my AS issued booking but in Dubai the check in staff just seemed annoyed and uninterested that I wasn't conforming to the demand.

I am not an AS employee just using my AS miles for the EK Award Ticket. Is the 027 ticket stock most likely confusing people or is this likely tied to the fare code?

Another issue is my baggage allowance is listed as None. I checked my bags through from JFK to MRU so I luckily I didn't have to argue about checking in bags at DXB but when boarding the DXB-MRU flight I was asked if I had excess baggage and after looking at my bag claim tags the flight gate agent called the baggage handlers to bring my baggage to be loaded onto the flight!

I travel frequently on different Star Alliance carriers and have never had these weird situations come up.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Hi All

Any idea who at Emirates I could plead for mercy from? This would be on behalf of my father-in-law, who has fallen down some stairs in the middle of nowhere in South Africa, and is in rough shape (quite bad bruises to back/glutes/hip).

Assuming the doctors clear him, he will fly CPT-DXB-JFK on Sunday, but it apparent would cost $5700 p.p to upgrade him to J , which we cannot afford ....

Background: My in-laws flew Emirates YYZ-DXB-JNB in late February. They were offered a J upgrade outbound (for about $1K p.p.) and took it. They fly home Sunday, CPT-DXB-JFK (then an AC leg in from LGA). They have no Emirates/Skywards status at all (I am an AC S100K, if someone thinks that is somehow helpful ....)
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:58 pm

My friend and I are both traveling on the same flight from LHR. He is flying economy and I'm flying business, and since we both live in the same city, is he allowed to join the car that takes me to LHR? Will I have to tell them about him when they phone me up the day before?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by RJA321
My friend and I are both traveling on the same flight from LHR. He is flying economy and I'm flying business, and since we both live in the same city, is he allowed to join the car that takes me to LHR? Will I have to tell them about him when they phone me up the day before?
Yes. If it were me, I would tell them about it beforehand and get your friend to your place for pick up so no extra stop is required.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:07 am

In a couple of weeks I'm doing the ex-CMB flight. First leg is on CX to SIN where I have a 14 hour layover. Does anyone know if they'll (1) check my bags through to the EK flight or (2) give me a boarding pass for the EK flight? I really care about 2 because I'd like to book the transit hotel for a nap before/after some sightseeing in town. I bet I could go to the EK desk at CMB and ask but the SIN transit hotel is pre-pay so I want to be sure. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Do the emirates F suites have an ottoman so a partner can join you for a meal?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:52 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Do the emirates F suites have an ottoman so a partner can join you for a meal?
Nope
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM
Isn't a noon pick up from Raffles Hotel in Dubai sufficient for a 1400 flt to Amman in J? Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:39 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Jac747
Isn't a noon pick up from Raffles Hotel in Dubai sufficient for a 1400 flt to Amman in J? Thanks.
Should be OK. It's about 10 minutes away from the airport. You need to check in 90 minutes before the flight.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
DXB to Abu Dhabi Emirates Bus

Hope someone can help.

For a family break we are flying NCL to DXB on Monday April 1st arriving just before midnight. We are staying at the DXB T3 Hol Inn Express then going to Abu Dhabi after some shut eye.

Planned to get the free Emirates bus from T3 to Abu Dhabi at 10.00am but EK say they can only book me on the first bus after my flight lands (which would be approx 2.00am)
We were going to have another night at the same hotel before our 7.30am flight back to Newcastle the following weekend.

EK say they can't book any other bus times. Is this correct?

cheers

Alan
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wudy15
EK say they can't book any other bus times. Is this correct?
A dummy booking appears to indicate you can book any of the buses with no change in price. How did you try to book?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
Now it seems as if Delta's new interline baggage policy may or may not be in effect when I travel next month and I'm checking two large bags in FLL and transferring at JFK to EK 202. My question is, since I have not scheduled a pick up with the chauffeur to get me to JFK, can I possibly use the service to drive me from Delta arrivals to EK departures? I don't know how I will get all my luggage to EK without assistance of some sort unless I can walk there with a smart cart. Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jac747
. . . can I possibly use the service to drive me from Delta arrivals to EK departures?
From the EK website regarding chauffeur drive availability at JFK:

"Service is not available between terminals in the same airport"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.