Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zol
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about Emirates and the Skywards program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Emirates you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/Emirates Skywards Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:18 pm
TIV

Hello Everyone

I am new to EK (so be gentle with me, please :-) ), and have a few questions that I am sure sound very ignorant - but again I am new. (Apologise if already covered, but I did a search and did not really find anything specific)

I am flying J ARN-DXB-AKL. 777-3ER first leg, then 380. I have an 11 hour overnight lay-over in DXB.
So here are my questions: What can I expect i J on EK on either leg - food? Comfort? Service etc.
My booking says I am eligible for a "Dubai Connect". Not sure what that is. Am I right that I will get a room in a hotel outside the airport? Is it worth doing or should I stay in the lounge during that time (presuming the lounge is open all night???). What is the lounge like? Is there an area where one can stretch out - or even lie down?

Many thanks in advance for any info. I am really looking forward to this trip having heard so much good about EK.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TIV
My booking says I am eligible for a "Dubai Connect". Not sure what that is. Am I right that I will get a room in a hotel outside the airport? Is it worth doing or should I stay in the lounge during that time (presuming the lounge is open all night???).
With the Dubai connect service, Emirates will provide you with a complementary hotel room, meals, and transfers to/from the hotel should you wish to avail it. You'll need to call up the local office to book it and then collect a voucher during check-in. For an 11 hour layover, I would recommend taking the Dubai Connect service. More info here.
http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...i-connect.aspx

Originally Posted by TIV
What is the lounge like? Is there an area where one can stretch out - or even lie down?
The J lounges at DXB are quite good with ample choices for food and drinks. There are sofas where you can stretch out though no beds to lie down.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:33 am

Hello All:

I am trying to find out if its possible to buy upgrades from a Skywards Status holder. (I am normally an Air Canada flyer, and they do have an eupgrade program whereby status holders are given upgrade certificates which can be transferred to friends). The reason I am asking is that I would be interested to purchase upgrades from a Skyward member if they are interested or able to transfer them.

Thank you for any feedback. (This question might be a little naive, but this forum promises No Flaming to the Newbie

FQ
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by jaguar
Alaska Airlines is a partner of Emirates and you get a much better rate converting your SPG points into an Alaska Airlines account for reward flights on Emirates than converting SPG points directly into your Emirates account. You can also convert SPG points into Japan Airlines for RT award flights on Emirates.

To view Emirates award availability you can sign up for www.expertflyer.com and see Emirates award availability and many other airlines.
I will look into this avenue/option asap, thanks jaguar. ^
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by fqemail001
... they do have an eupgrade program whereby status holders are given upgrade certificates which can be transferred to friends
Unfortunately, EK doesn't.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Thanks for the replies to my earlier questions... Can someone confirm what's likely to be served on the earY morning SYD to DXB?
4. EK415 06:00 from SYD... what's the Food & Beverage offering? Presume it's two full hot meals at either end and a snack run in the middle?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
You guessed right .......EK415 offers (according to hard copy timetable) breakfast + snack + lunch.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:21 pm

Question on behalf of my sister since I am totally new to Emirates and their website is not the most friendly.

Sister and niece have some Emirates points in their skyward program, 21500 and 11750 respectively. Is it possible to transfer the points from my niece to her mother to combine the points ( same address but diff last name)?

And would it be possible for me to transfer some MR points to Sister ( same last name ) to help top up the points so they can do something with it? Think they are hoping to redeem for a flight from either MEL to SIN or SIN to MEL.

Thank you!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by Keflyer
Question on behalf of my sister since I am totally new to Emirates and their website is not the most friendly.

Sister and niece have some Emirates points in their skyward program, 21500 and 11750 respectively. Is it possible to transfer the points from my niece to her mother to combine the points ( same address but diff last name)?

And would it be possible for me to transfer some MR points to Sister ( same last name ) to help top up the points so they can do something with it? Think they are hoping to redeem for a flight from either MEL to SIN or SIN to MEL.

Thank you!
Points can be transferred from account to account with some restrictions on total transfers and at a cost of 2.5 US cents per point transferred. No way around that. The expiry period resets at the time of transfer.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Keflyer
Is it possible to transfer the points from my niece to her mother to combine the points ( same address but diff last name)?
Yes but it'll cost you $25 per 1K miles.
http://www.emirates.com/english/help...=1102560#faq10
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Deleted. Written in error - misread OP's post !
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:54 am
TIV

Originally Posted by jackiedada
With the Dubai connect service, Emirates will provide you with a complementary hotel room, meals, and transfers to/from the hotel should you wish to avail it. You'll need to call up the local office to book it and then collect a voucher during check-in. For an 11 hour layover, I would recommend taking the Dubai Connect service. More info here.
http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...i-connect.aspx

The J lounges at DXB are quite good with ample choices for food and drinks. There are sofas where you can stretch out though no beds to lie down.
Many thanks jackiedada. I have now booked the Dubai Connect and am looking forward to the experience. I booked on line and got confirmed. Can't see though which hotel they have put me in. Maybe it won't be assigned until I collect my voucher?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by TIV
Can't see though which hotel they have put me in. Maybe it won't be assigned until I collect my voucher?
For J & F pax, its typically the Le Meridien.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:58 pm

Thank you Jackiedata and Mrtdxb both for your reply. Will relay the message.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
business class sale fares

or business class companion sales? do EK ever do them? Are they regional sales if so? Usual time frames?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.